Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Boycott fuel INFO

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2000, 12:03 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trouble is if we all just sit back and do nothing it will keep on rising, at least now we have been heard and the fuel companies have replied ...

I'm for it ... and I do take the point about small rural garages but a line in the sand has to be drawn and now is as good a time as ever ... not sure if it will have much effect but it worked in the states so it has to be worth a go ....

K
Old 30 June 2000, 12:12 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

It didn't work in the states I'm afraid, as posted on the last thread it is an 'Urban Legend', the idea was spread around, but nothing came of it, it was simply a succesful chain letter.
No reason not to give it a try, but just don't want more dis-information spreading.
Chuck
Old 30 June 2000, 12:20 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

It won't harm small garages if we just boycott the large chains, one at a time. And though they may be used to fluctuations in demand, it would force them to take note if enough people stopped using them for a few days.

As I've said on other threads, I don't think that boycotting all, once a week is the right way to go, but I will do it anyway to show my support.
Old 30 June 2000, 12:57 AM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

The thing is the boycott the pumps protest is not actually directed at the oil companies so I don't know why everyone is getting so bothered about that. It's directed at the Government and their ridiculous overtaxation of fuel.....
The point will come soon where the average person won't be able to afford a performance car be it a Scoob, Evo, Cossie or whatever simply because it will cost to much to run the damn thing!!!
Hopefully the Government will see what a vote loser this is turning into, it is a demonstration of feeling.....
Sit back and rubbish the idea but at least people are trying to do something and don't moan in a few years time when you are driving round in a Micra because by then it will be too late and your chance will have passed

So get in there and join in before it is too late!!!
Old 30 June 2000, 11:49 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

LONDON, June 29 (Reuters) - Oil companies were unruffled on Thursday as a campaign to boycott British garages in protest at high oil prices gathered steam. "Boycott the Pumps" is calling on motorists to abstain from buying petrol on Tuesday, August 1, and repeat the action every Monday until prices, currently at 85 pence a litre and the highest in Europe, come down.
But Brendan Lomax, a spokesman for BP Amoco , said pro-boycott customers would simply buy extra petrol at other times.

"I expect this will mean that we just have busier days," he said, adding that retailers were accustomed to fluctuations in demand.

"I am not clear how this gets at the government or gets at anybody," he said.

The grass-roots campaign started by Chris Longhurst and Neil Woodier urges motorists to act before petrol hits one pound a litre by Christmas.

On their website,
Old 30 June 2000, 01:01 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

I agree with Triggaaar and the other thread - boycotting individual companies for a week or so is the way to go. In this way small garages won't be effected. And I am sure the oil co's will notice the drop in demand if it lasts a week (it's going to be a "bit" more than a fluctuation!).

We should do it! Does not matter if Aug is a quiet month. It takes a while to build a momentum anyway. I imagine Aug boycott won't be huge but will start the snowball effect and by Sep / Oct it'll be huge!!!

Practical question: how can we share / publicise the idea of boycotting individual companies with a wider audience (boycott-the-pumps.com people etc...)?
Old 30 June 2000, 01:02 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hear hear Mr Weaver.

Look at the apathetic comments of the so called motorists organizations. They knock it, but what do they propose instead? The usual recipe of nothing so as not to upset their chums?

[This message has been edited by BarryK (edited 30-06-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 01:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why do people think we are against the oil companies?

admittedly the price of oil has increased but it (as said above) is the government who need to pay attention.

The reason for not buying fuel is to show the government the number of people who have been upset by this. The oil companies can report the individual turnover for the strike days.

Targetting the companies one by one is not what it is about. The companies are not the enemy.

It is obvious that we will still buy as much petrol by making up for it over the rest of the week but the organised pitfall in sales will highlight the cause.

It is only the loss of votes that will sway the government if at all.

Media coverage is vital and that is now on the up.

Support the strike days, but do it for the right reasons.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:32 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Finally someone who understands

The Governemnt are the ones who are to blame for vast cost of fuel <B>NOT</B> the oil companies remember 3/4's of the price of a litre of fuel is TAX!!!

Give your support to the boycott and show the Government that this really had become a big issue and that they'd better listen up
Old 30 June 2000, 01:33 PM
WAYSIDERS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Do all the well-meaning campaigners realise what will be the natural outcome of the boycott?

If no-one wants to buy fuel on the 1st of each month, the filling stations might as well close.

What then happens to the unfortunate who needs fuel at short notice?

Sorry, this is one campaign I think will fail.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:34 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Chuck..

In today's Mail it says Illinois is to waive sales tax on fuel for 6 months and in Indiana they have introduced an energy law to suspend sales tax on petrol ...

All we can hope is this government follows suit and lowers tax .... even if it's for 6 months ...

K

Old 30 June 2000, 01:47 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Angry

WAYSIDERS so what do you suggest we sit back and do nothing and continue to get ripped off left, right and centre?

Any campaign must start somewhere and here is a good a point as any. So get boycotting.
Old 30 June 2000, 01:55 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm....maybe US politicians aren't as bad as they're made out to be......
Old 30 June 2000, 02:14 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes, the Governor is looking for votes, I wouldn't say it was a grand gesture though.
Fact - Illinois has the highest 'at pump' prices in the USA.
Fact - They have found $75mio in unanticipated revenue to help fund this.
Fact - State agencies have been ordered to freeze part of their budgets also, to help pay for this.
The money is spent, regardless of where it comes from. If petrol duties come down to appease the motorist, money will be raised elsewhere. Less spent on schools, the NHS, VAT on childrens clothes? Someone will have to suffer regardless.
The US has started an investigation into the oil companies pricing policies, the situation is very different in the states.
Yes, we pay alot of tax. But much of our driving is for pleasure, and we shouldn't be too shocked that we have to pay for the privilege. We could all be driving much more economic cars if we cared to, no one makes you choose to drive a car that regularly returns less than 25MPG.
I just realise that the tax burden I face wont be changed, it may be rearranged, but I still don't believe that I will be better off as a consequence.
Regards
Chuck
Old 30 June 2000, 02:32 PM
Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

So nobody else in Europe drives for pleasure?
Why do we have to considerably more than the rest of Europe yet our roads, education system etc. are in a much much worse state (pardon the pun )

It's very easy to be complacent about this if you have a nice fat pay check at the end of each month and a company car with free fuel to swan around in during the week. Imagine what it's like at the other end of the scale, imagine if you were trying to support a family on £10K a year but were having a third of your weekly income taken away the Government in fuel tax, things may seem a bit different then.
Old 30 June 2000, 02:44 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adam M and Weaver,

We know it is the government, not the oil companies or petrol stations!

But if we cause the oil companies problems for a relatively short period, they can exert pressure on the government - oil is big business, and they have a lot of clout. Causing the oil companies problems will also help raise media interest, raising the profile, and making it more of a vote issue.

Waysiders - Although I hope this boycott is widespread, it will not be sufficient for the filling stations to close, so don't worry about those who needs fuel at short notice. Also, if the companies plan around the boycott, then we'll just arange the dates at short notice.

But regardless of which way you all think is best, go along with the method generally chosen to show your support.
Old 30 June 2000, 06:07 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

While I agree wholeheartedly about the high price of fuel, I really cannot understand how not buying fuel on any given day proves a point. I'll simply end up buying twice as much the next day?
Old 01 July 2000, 04:28 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down

the only way i can see this having an impact is if we boycot an individual company a week for ever!

so week 1 its shell, week 2 its esso, week 3 its BP, week 4 its ASDA, week 5 its TESCO and back to week 1 again!

If we all did this it would have a HUGE impact and the power these businesses would exert on the government would be imposible to ignore.

The government IS the enemy here. They are suposed to govern on OUR behalf, not dictate to us and ignore OUR opinions.

The only way we can exert presure on the government is through an indirect method, ie. targeting people with a big voice.

It's time we hit back and stopped being so apathetic. There are lots of people now not living, just exhisting, we pay to much tax as a percentage of our income, its time for change.
Old 01 July 2000, 05:58 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

For ever? Surely we stop when the price comes down
As you've said, the govt. are supposed to govern on pur behalf - so even if this boycott is no more than a show of hands, it will help (even if only stopping the tax increases).

David,
If you cannot understand how not buying fuel on any given day proves a point, do a search and read the messages - it has been explained enough.
Old 01 July 2000, 10:48 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Trigaaar.

I had read the other posts (and the web site) but I still dont understand how boycotting the pumps for just 1 day will have any effect.

However 3 days might (just) and boycoting a specific company for a week, even better still. Dont get me wrong, I'm all up for a reduction in tax, but I just didn't think that 1 day would have any 'real' effect.
Old 01 July 2000, 11:35 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Boycotting the pumps on a particular day eamsn you have buy more fuel earier/later instead (unless you travel by bus that day ). What it would do however, is generate a lot of media coverage, alerting the politicians to how the voters feel. Imagine 1st August, and nobody bought petrol - there'd be massive TV and newspaper coverage, and debates for weeks!

This is what we need and I'm all for it!

Andrew
Old 02 July 2000, 08:49 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think John has hit the nail on the head.

If the oil companies don't care about a one day boycott, then they would almost certainly care about a seven day boycott of their pumps. These days very few of us don't have a choice of garage, so why not pick on one per week. The impact on their cash-flow would be far greater.

Whether or not it will have any long-term effect is a matter for debate but, as others have said, we must do something. We can't just bend over for Messers Brown and Prescott anymore.

How many of you saw Blair's reaction to the Sun's campaign? "Tough" was his response. I don't know about you lot but these Sh**bags have had a real impact on my business, as well as everything else, and it's getting worse!

Let's make him eat his words!

Josh
Old 02 July 2000, 04:12 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Not buying fuel on one day may seems a small gesture but if enough people do it , notice will be taken.

Its all very easy to say oh it won't make any difference and not bother but this won't acheive anything and whats the harm in trying .

The major oil companies are having a tough time ( various margers to save costs !!) and they can't afford to loose revunue or have cash flow disturbed.

If enough people make the effort the government might realise they are meant to be acting for the people
Old 03 July 2000, 03:08 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

I totally agree. Little steps to begin with. 1 day to start, then so on.It will work if we all do it. So far before the TV and radio coverage about this petrol scam i had approx. 600 people ready to boycott on the 1st. So come on just do it, every single person counts.

Fact: If the same amount of fuel tax was charged to a 27 pence stamp. It would cost £1.20. Does'nt it just Infuriate you.
Old 03 July 2000, 09:31 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

And if this campaign does hurt, don't you think that the Chancellor might think twice before chucking extra taxes on petrol come budget time. Normally he is just taking it for granted that he can do whatever he likes without any comeback?

This is not good PR for Labour. Not good for votes => Govt will listen.

Joolz
Old 03 July 2000, 10:45 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by johnfelstead:
<B>the only way i can see this having an impact is if we boycot an individual company a week for ever!

so week 1 its shell, week 2 its esso, week 3 its BP, week 4 its ASDA, week 5 its TESCO and back to week 1 again!

If we all did this it would have a HUGE impact and the power these businesses would exert on the government would be imposible to ignore.

The government IS the enemy here. They are suposed to govern on OUR behalf, not dictate to us and ignore OUR opinions.

The only way we can exert presure on the government is through an indirect method, ie. targeting people with a big voice.

It's time we hit back and stopped being so apathetic. There are lots of people now not living, just exhisting, we pay to much tax as a percentage of our income, its time for change.[/quote]

Nice idea, but I only ever use Shell or Esso.
I'm sorry to say but this isn't going to work out guys. The only way for it to actually take effect is to not use the car for one day, saving on the amount of fill ups you do. This is the ONLY way that anybody will take notice. By boycotting indivdual pumps all you are doing is taking your business elsewhere? The Government will still get their tax...
If you don't use your car for a day, you are saving petrol - but you are also playing into their hands. Think about it - they want you to give up the car- less traffic, less pollution....Why are the prices so high??? To get rid of the car...

Nothing is going to be solved by this course of action. It's a nice idea - and no I don't have any better - but you shouldn't continue with it just because it's the only idea put forward. It's not the right solution.

Old 03 July 2000, 11:15 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
we all know its gonna have bugger all impact on the tax revenue!

It doesn't take a genious to work that one out.

What it will do is show this poxy, media is for manipulation, government what we all think of the current situation.

For us to have the most expensive fuel in the world, us being a major oil producing nation, is not acceptable.

For the last 10 years roughly, there was a deliberate policy in the UK to increase fuel prices at 5% above the rate of inflation, we have suffered this compound interest effect and as a result fuel is now taking a large chunk of the average persons take home pay.

Last year the government stoped this compound interest policy in the budget, and yet prices are still rising at a rediculous rate.

It's time for a change, we have to do something, the more severe action the better as far as i am concerned.

It's killing our industries, its killing most peoples standards of living and its making our foreign competitiveness less atractive.

I still say we have to be more agresive with our targeting, why do the british just play at protesting, it's time we took a lead from the french and protested in a way that cannot be ignored.

I worked out the other day that to travell 18,000 miles in the UK would cost approx $6000 US, to do so in the USA would cost $1500 US.

Why are we being screwed and yet doing nothing???
Old 03 July 2000, 11:35 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fullonloon:
<B> I'm sorry to say but this isn't going to work out guys. The only way for it to actually take effect is to not use the car for one day, saving on the amount of fill ups you do. This is the ONLY way that anybody will take notice. By boycotting indivdual pumps all you are doing is taking your business elsewhere? The Government will still get their tax...
Nothing is going to be solved by this course of action. It's a nice idea - and no I don't have any better - but you shouldn't continue with it just because it's the only idea put forward. It's not the right solution.
[/quote]

Fullonloon,
You are, quite simply, wrong. You seem to have missed the whole point of this boycott. You say the only way that anyone will take notice is to not use the car for a day - since this boycott has been on many radio stations, tv news, in the papers, and Tory boy has been critising PM about it, a lot of people have clearly taken notice.

If you think their are better ways, post them. If you are sceptical as to whether it will work, fine, many of us are. But you are making statements as if they're fact, which they are not.

Even for those of us who only use a couple of brands, boycotting one when they're next on the list would have an impact.