Sponsored by:

why are some people..

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 10:49 PM
beerbelly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face why are some people..

So odd? coming home thonight along a good B road i steadily overtook someone in 4th at about 45 and pulled back in safely then some to55er coming the other way (who I was nowhere near) pulled onto the wrong side of the road for no reason heading straight at me with his "driving" lights on.
Old 08 May 2004, 11:05 PM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

Sadly you see this sort of thing quite often.

Someone like this decide's they've seen someone doing something that they consider wrong for whatever reason, so they carry out some absolutely stupid piece of driving as some kind of retaliation.

These kind of people are real dangers to everyone, and the sad thing is they think they are right to carry on like this, which is disgusting.

Last edited by Fidd; 08 May 2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08 May 2004, 11:06 PM
gnome
Scooby Regular

I have been driving on a road well with in the speed limit on my own with a car coming the other way waving a fist and also putting the Vs up, some people have got some problems out there.
Old 08 May 2004, 11:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a large portion of the politically correct morale minority whom beleive that any overtaking manoevre indicates excessive speed and dangerous driving and deem it their responsibility to attemp to re-educate the perpertrator in whatever ridiculous way seems most immediately erratic. I've lost count of the number of boring whingeing whining bearded mumsy tw@ts who've made such gestures towards me and it won't be much longer before one of them either causes an incident, or provokes me enough to cause one personally. Some people NEED a punch from time to time.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:08 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

tell me about it... was travelling along the A616 yesterday following a red clio that decided that the little white circle with the black line through it meant 40, so I waited patiently for a good overtaking spot (I wasnt right up his **** or anything) then once there was one I pulled out and started to overtake (at about 60-65) so what did the twonk do? Accelerate. As a result I had to boot it to get past (the car behind me had cruised up behind the clio so dropping back in was not an option).

Gah!

Had another example of muppetry later that day on the M6, had come through a roadworks section (40 limit) that was outside lane only. As a good boy I had sat at 40 for the entire stretch with this Ford Ka right up my boot. Sensing this guy was obviously in a hurry I pulled over to the inside lane as soon as the cones stopped (but about 100-150 yards before the NSL sign) expecting the Ka just to stay in the outside lane and steam off. Did he?

Nope. He moved over to the middle and by the time we hit the NSL sign his front bumper was about level with the end of my boot. As there was nothing in front of me and I didnt feel like hanging about particularly I accelerated quite hard up to 70. Ka then gives me a big ole dose of full beam. WHY??!?!?
Old 09 May 2004, 11:20 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KaraK
tell me about it... was travelling along the A616 yesterday following a red clio that decided that the little white circle with the black line through it meant 40, so I waited patiently for a good overtaking spot (I wasnt right up his **** or anything) then once there was one I pulled out and started to overtake (at about 60-65) so what did the twonk do? Accelerate. As a result I had to boot it to get past (the car behind me had cruised up behind the clio so dropping back in was not an option).

Gah!

Had another example of muppetry later that day on the M6, had come through a roadworks section (40 limit) that was outside lane only. As a good boy I had sat at 40 for the entire stretch with this Ford Ka right up my boot. Sensing this guy was obviously in a hurry I pulled over to the inside lane as soon as the cones stopped (but about 100-150 yards before the NSL sign) expecting the Ka just to stay in the outside lane and steam off. Did he?

Nope. He moved over to the middle and by the time we hit the NSL sign his front bumper was about level with the end of my boot. As there was nothing in front of me and I didnt feel like hanging about particularly I accelerated quite hard up to 70. Ka then gives me a big ole dose of full beam. WHY??!?!?
Not having a go but when overtaking I always try and do it as quickly as possible ie lowest gear for the speed and full throttle then even if some idiot in a clio decideds to speed up it shouldn't make a great deal of difference. I believe the less time you spend on the opposite side of the road the safer it is.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:26 AM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KaraK

Gah!

Karak,

I think the technical term for these people is "Jealous as F**k", people as a rule can't stand being beaten.

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2004, 11:50 AM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

There are some people who would have any kind of overtaking banned altogether for the sake of road safety.

Imagine what driving would actually be like if that hapenned ?

Trouble is of course, you allways get the odd plonker who'll overtake stupidly and cause some poor so and so coming the other way to have to take to the verge and stop. If this act of stupidity happens to be made by a Subaru driver then we all get put down as tw@ts.
Old 09 May 2004, 11:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience as one above, where I overtook a Clio and the idiot hit the full beams, fog lights, the works, so I slowed down. He was right up my **** with his lights still blazing, so I slowed down some more. Eventually I was doing 5mph and came to a junction where cars were waiting to pull out, so I stopped and let them

At this point, matey gets out of his Clio and produces his warrant card and tells me he's going to report me for dangerous driving. I pointed out the fact that he had accelerated while I overtook him and then proceeded to dazzle me with his lights and then asked for his name, rank and station so I could report his conduct to the cheif constable. He got back in his car without a word.

Apart from this, I have occasionally been flashed after overtaking someone but hav gotten used to it and put it down to idiocy/jealousy, but last weekend took the biscuit: driving along the *** (dual carriageway) I passed a car that was doing 60 at ~80-ish. When I pulled into the slow lane I got a dose of full beam for about 5 seconds. I was like then the next car to pass him got the same treatment and so did the 3rd! Total weirdo.
Old 09 May 2004, 03:49 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

the one and only time i've succumbed to road rage was down to one of these to55ers... can't say too much but a stoplok and a big dent in his a-pillar were involved...

owbow
Old 10 May 2004, 02:10 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

These days I just interpret those light-flashes as "Wow, that was quick for an estate car, and thanks for sharing that wonderful exhaust note with me"

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 10 May 2004, 02:14 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL RATMAN

Originally Posted by Ratman
These days I just interpret those light-flashes as "Wow, that was quick for an estate car, and thanks for sharing that wonderful exhaust note with me"

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 10 May 2004, 02:16 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate it when you over take someone at night and they take personal offence to it and full beam you, ive started to to take the step of if they do it anchor on the brakes, and see how long it takes them to turn them off. generally they are pussies and do it immidietly. one got outta the car once for a few seconds, he soon got back in though.
Old 10 May 2004, 02:24 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Not sure what the cause was but driving to the airport this morning up the M11.. plodding along in the fast lane overtaking a 307 when he got pushed into the fastlane by a lorry moving out... This guy had a deathwish.. he then pulled in front of the lorry and slammed his brakes on..!! Lorry snaking all over the road then forced the lorry to drive at about 5mph...!!!

Was in a hurry to catch the plane so not sure how it ended up but wouldn't surprise me if he's now stuck in the grill of a rather large lorry...
Old 10 May 2004, 02:28 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

i know a 'friend' who uses the following to deal with the above ...dependant on road conditions & **** in question!

1. Just flip your rear view mirror down ...irritates the daylights out of 'em!
2. drop into 3rd ...rest left foot on brake pedal ...use right foot heavily!
3. leave them as a spec in the distance ...perform a 180 handbrake ...travel back along road with main beam & fogs until passed vehicle in question ...perform another 180 ...& overtake the **** again!
Old 10 May 2004, 02:40 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Hmm - I've had a couple:

1. Overtaking slow moving van on country road - couple on verge give me a round of applause! I waved at them .....
2. Overtake car - which then puts on full beam / fogs etc. He wasn't so brave when I engaged the ABS, indicated left, pulled over to the side of the road and waited for him! He turned round and went the other way!!!
3. Over taking 2 cars - wafting along in 5th (clear road ahead) as alongside 2nd car he pulls out to overtake 1st car and he and his girlfriend start suggesting I abuse myself even when they nearly hit me! I followed them at a safe distance for 2 miles and all of a sudden he pulls over and gestures me to do the same ....... I'm not chicken but employed all 260bhp and left him for dead .....
Old 10 May 2004, 02:56 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've had countless situations like the ones described above, but the most stupid one I've seen was a Merc who had taken exception to the driving of a British Army M2 Amphibious Bridging Equipment vehicle (one seen here). These things weigh 27 tonnes, and the brakes are sh1te. Said Merc overtook, slammed his brakes on and came to a standstill. Only the size and skill of the driver prevented this Merc from being very squashed. The Merc driver soon became contrite when a load of hairy squaddies piled out to talk to him about his driving...

Last edited by Jerome; 10 May 2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10 May 2004, 04:04 PM
Pimp Boy
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Yea tell me about it some people av got some real issues, usually 30-45mph down into 3rd & 2 seconds later im round them & off. But occasionally you do get flashed by some dumbass, i just ive em back a taste of ma main beam & if they're up my ***, the pu55ys change their tune when i start indicating. Might try the 180, flash em, & then overtake the **** with ma main beam on.

Yeehaa!
Old 10 May 2004, 04:10 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think people get irate because they wrongly assume that the manoeuvre performed in a scoob is dangerous, just because it would be in their (lower-powered) cars. I usually just ignore any light-flashers and keep going (safely, of course)

Suresh
Old 10 May 2004, 04:29 PM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

Personally my favourite is when they flash,
I usually slow at the next junction/ roundabout.
Wait till they are looking.
Put the window down, and shout "hi, how are you..." or "did you know your lights are stuck on ....?"
Like there some long lost friend.
sh*ts them right up usually, cos they don't know how to react
Old 10 May 2004, 04:30 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

He he he, had to borrow my mates Nova GTE for a week as he was fixing my car. (honest )

I got held up in the middle lane behind a huge transporter taking up lanes 1 and 2. As soon as I noticed I indicated to pull into lane three. Merc decides to close the gap and not let me in . Still plenty of time before I need to pass the big lorry, so I give the benefit of the doubt, roll down my window, make eye contact and indicate again, same result...................

OK ITS CHAV TIME....

I lit up a ***, took three big puffs and then flicked the *** straight onto his windscreen, it was light fireworks night as my butt end expoded over his window.

The ****** soon got out the way and pulled well back, once passed the lorry I slow right down to 40 on the inside lane, he never came near, he must have been doing 30mph down the rest of the motorway

Nova Chavs....the undisputed hardman of the highway lol
Old 10 May 2004, 05:14 PM
neilswrx
Scooby Regular

chancers/brake testers
up the m74 in inside lane come upto gran and granpa in maestro in middle lane overtaking thin air
pull right out to third lane indicating as i go about 70ish and grandad does his pretend copper manovure pulls in front of me jams his brakes on and points to his speedo,i was that close i could read it 65mph as the numpty drops back he moves into middle lane so i floor it am i, offski back all the way into inside lane.