2003 WRX on the track - any tips

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 06:54 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2003 WRX on the track - any tips

Hello all,

I am taking my 2003 WRX on the track Tuesday night for its first outing.

Anyone have any tips for me, particularly of things to watch with this model with standard brakes and suspension.

Aside from the usual about letting the brakes cool, warming up gradually, checking fluids and tryres etc, does anyone have any experience of a non-PPP WRX on the track (exhaust and filter mods plus a few others)?

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 09 May 2004, 06:58 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Don't leave the handbrake on when you've just been on the track.
Watch the tyre wear on the outside edge.

That's it really
Old 09 May 2004, 07:02 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I think the general consensus is, if you havent done any brake mods (i.e. uprated fluid/pads etc) then dont attempt too many hard laps as the brakes will surely fade very VERY easily. I find they do even on road use without too much trouble.

Hence why i think my next mod will be some good pads and DOT 4 fluid at least!!

Neil.

Other than that mate, have fun, as i want to take mine on one at some point (i have the same car as you so will be nice to know!)
Old 09 May 2004, 09:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Up your tyre pressures by about 6psi, and check after a flying lap to keep them at about that. Should help minimise some of the outer edge tyre damage, unless it's wet, then don't bother. Do just one or two fast laps, then if possible do a slowing down lap barely touching the brakes to let them cool. Make sure the engine is warmed up before, and let it cool for a couple of minutes after each session.
Old 09 May 2004, 09:08 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Iv'e got my first trackday on friday

What do most people do about wheels iv'e got 17" superleggeras on and might be able to source some other wheels if my oz's are likely to take a pasting.
Old 09 May 2004, 09:16 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Fit a second petrol tank Last time I was on track, I was getting about 7 mpg!

Check the condition of your tyres and brake pads. An average track day is reckoned to be roughly equivalent to 5000 road miles. Scoobs are heavy cars and not necessarily the best on track because of that (the later cars, even more so, especially at the front). That is not to say they are not good fun (they are), just be prepared. They do go through tyres and pads at an alarming rate when on track.

If you've got a second set of wheels and tyres then fine. SIDC track days normally have the Tyres Northampton support vehicle in attendance, so changing tyres and pads is quite easy. It would be best to check with the track in advance to see if they have any facilities available (probably not).

Chris
Old 10 May 2004, 07:10 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Run Super Unleaded (optimax)

Don't go under 1/4 Tank of fuel or hard R/handers may run short of Fuel

If open pit lane, ask to go out as a passenger with experienced driver first it will give you an Idea

20mins on track and 30 mins off (roughly), you and your car need a rest

Take some bottle water, drink plenty, don't forget to eat

Be curtious to other drivers ease of throttle for a second or so so they can pass easy

Take it steady you drove the car there you'll want to drive it back home

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2004, 11:33 AM
Nick Martin
Scooby Regular

Do as T5NYW says - go out as a passenger first with someone who knows the circuit and has a good driving line.
It will be a learning experience for you. You'll get addicted and want to go back again and again so theres plenty of time to get quick
Drive smooth and you will
Old 10 May 2004, 02:26 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Have fun!!

I did my first track day a few weeks ago in my MY03 WRX and had an absolute hoot.

Everything every one said is right - be easy on your car when you are not 'on it', let it warm up/cool down, dont put the handbrake on, go easy on the brakes on your 'in lap', check fluids and pressures, be courteous (if someone isnt being courteous and holding you up, don't do any crazy manouvres on track to get past them, you'll only get black flagged - wait till the end of the session or come into the pits and tell the organisers - they can then have a quiet word with said driver or even bump you up to the intermediate group or whatever, if its run that way) and so on.

It all sounded a bit daunting to me but in all honesty it was pretty straight forward.

The one I did was pretty well run, in 20 minute sessions for novice, intermediate and advanced. So not only could you not possibly push your car too hard, you also had plenty of time in between your sessions. This was a sessioned trackday, but if yours is open pit lane you will have to be strict on yourself and watch the clock.

Agree also with catching a ride with someone. Also, or instead, if its possible get some instruction or someone more experienced to ride in with you. Its amazing the difference it makes. I started off driving briskly but hardly on the edge. After the instruction I knew where I could push much harder and ultimately had much more fun.

Also, if there is a pro photograper there have a word in their ear earlier on in the day so that they get a good selection of photos of your car. They usually take really well composed photos - its up to you to make them interesting!!!

Above all, you will have a great time - I did and cant wait for the next one.

John
Old 10 May 2004, 03:02 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Erm, don't lift off in a corner?

Have a great time
Old 10 May 2004, 05:35 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Yup Shopping list =