Sponsored by:

nigeria car buyers

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 06:05 PM
ziggys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nigeria car buyers

hi guys got an offer from somebody from nigeria wanting to buy my car hes gonna pay me with bankers draft got a valid bradford and bingley draft. this is a scam isnt it but i dont get how it work anybody shed anylight on this plz
Old 28 April 2004, 06:13 PM
eastsussexscooby
Scooby Regular

Default Nigerian scam

They are probably after your bank details, most of these scams involves obtaining thier potential victims bank details, we used to have faxes from Nigeria asking us if they could deposit millions in our bank account for safe keeping, then it was emails, not sure what they do once they have your details though, must be able to withdraw funds some how !
BE CAREFUL

Originally Posted by ziggys
hi guys got an offer from somebody from nigeria wanting to buy my car hes gonna pay me with bankers draft got a valid bradford and bingley draft. this is a scam isnt it but i dont get how it work anybody shed anylight on this plz
Old 28 April 2004, 06:24 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

I can confirm this too. Always get them from africa saying how poor they are but they have millions in the account that they want to transfer (you get a cut)

SCAM

Gareth
from http://www.subaru-impreza.org
Old 28 April 2004, 06:28 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The car scam is usually that they send you a cheque for a few grand mor ethan the car is worth. You then send them a cheque for the difference. voila, their cheque bounces you are a couple of grand down.
Old 28 April 2004, 07:00 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
The car scam is usually that they send you a cheque for a few grand mor ethan the car is worth. You then send them a cheque for the difference. voila, their cheque bounces you are a couple of grand down.
...or the cheque clears (or seems to clear) and you send the car off.

Their cheque WILL bounce but may take up to a month or so as the cheque's are usually stolen or counterfeited from the DSS or large companies.

J.
Old 28 April 2004, 07:18 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

This type of scheme has also been known as a method of money laundering.
You not only need to be aware that you might be getting stiffed for your cash, but even if it all cleared you might be getting a knock from the boys in blue asking why you are laundering money for drug dealers!!!!!!
Old 28 April 2004, 09:50 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

Vindaloos got it in one, for some reason the 'cos the cheque is from a foreign bank, it somehow gets cleared, and you hand over the car, then you find out the money's not there after all, and by then its too late.
Old 29 April 2004, 01:26 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I thought a bankers draft is drawn against available funds in an account. That means the funds are there in an account. These are "given" to the bank and when your bank tries to cash the draft they cash it against the bank and not the person's account. If the bank is genuine and its a genuine draft then surely the money is there and you cannot "bounce" a draft as such?

Also read an article the other day that the 4/5 days UK banks quote for clearing cheques still may mean that a cheque will bounce. The only way to be sure is to specifically ask the bank to check if it has cleared - don't assume that when the money goes into you account it's cleared.

However it could still mean that the draft or bank is fake and even if they are real, you still might be unknowningly laundering money though.
Old 29 April 2004, 02:09 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

yes I don't understand why the bank credits your account before the cheque has officaialy been honoured by the payers bank, daft!

Cal
Old 29 April 2004, 02:10 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Ziggy why not contact your local plod and see if they can cast any light on it? Cal
Old 29 April 2004, 03:16 PM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

There used to be a link on the Mets web site where you could report this sort of thing. I remember getting the email one where they were going to give me loads of money and put it in my account and I had to lend them some so they could start the ball rolling.
Old 29 April 2004, 03:44 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ziggys
Been quite a few similar threads in Non Scooby Related. One of them had a good link to a site devoted to stringing these tossers along and wasting as much as their time as possible.

Cant remember what it was though, doh!

Chris
Old 29 April 2004, 04:07 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

Talking

listen mate just ignore it they are crafty b';-==-ers these Nigerians and I'm one, the
Old 29 April 2004, 04:08 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

Nigerian.... that is, not crafty in that sense
Old 29 April 2004, 04:32 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Aye, I wouldn't be interested in overseas buyers full stop - too much to go wrong.. WTF is someone going to import a car from UK when they can get a cheaper right hand drive from JDM?? UK is renowned for some of the highest car prices in the world, you'd have to be stupid, mad or sad to import a car from the UK! Ask him to send over the bankers draft then drop it into the boys in blue

Actually come to think of it, I would even be careful about giving out your address, if they are part of a cartel or organised criminal empire, you don't want them knocking at your door do ya!
Old 29 April 2004, 05:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

This is very funny if you have the time.......

http://sweetchillisauce.com/nigeria.html

DL
Old 29 April 2004, 06:04 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David Lock
This is very funny if you have the time.......

http://sweetchillisauce.com/nigeria.html

DL
sweet! There you go lads, you have the blueprint. Next time one of the tossers emails you, lead him on a merry trip, lol,

Cal
Old 29 April 2004, 06:36 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've had similar e-mails from Germany, Sweden and South Africa, all wanting to send me a banker's cheque for 7.5k (car's worth 3), I cash it, & send the rest to their shipping Co, via Western Union.

Strange...
They would pay me the asking price though - not that it's much consolation, if I lose the whole lot
Old 30 April 2004, 10:22 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

It works cause the banks take so longto process each transfer - up to several months for Nigeria. So your bank processes the cheque and it clears..... your bank passed it along the chain... until finally the little bank in Nigeria says "hang on theres no such money" and bounces it.

You then find out 6 months later when you bank asks for the money back and your penny less and car less.

Do a search on 419 scams - there loads of sites detailing this

Jza
Old 30 April 2004, 11:18 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So superscam man opens an account, waits for the bank to "clear" the cheque, takes the cash and buggers off? Bank takes the rap when cheque finally bounces and their customer has disappeared? DL
Old 30 April 2004, 01:10 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

A bit of light reading for you:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=306284
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321737