Sponsored by:

Am I a slow driver or what?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 01:46 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Am I a slow driver or what?

I am the second owner of a MY97 220 p.s. turbo, pretty standard except for a K&N induction kit. Just did the 100k kilo (62k miles) service and was surprised when the workshop (non-dealer) told me that my rear brake pads still got almost half its life left and the spark plugs are still in good condition, no need to be changed. Here is a brief summary of the full service history of my ownership (all figures based on kilometers):

Cumulative fuel consumption since ownership from 25k kilometer: 24+ mpg (11.7 lit/100 km), always on 97 Ron SUL.

Oil and filter change every 12.5k kilometer (Mobil 1 10W-50), also cleaned and reoiled K&N filter.

Tyres: 2 sets of Bridgestone Potenza, changed at 50k and 90k, the latter prematurely due to collision with pothole.

Front brake pads:Changed to EBC Green at 75k, still got 3/4 left now.

Left and right valve cover gaskets: replaced at 97k and 77k respectively.

Driveshaft boots: Front left and right replaced at 98k and 80k respectively.

Timing belt and oil seals: Just done at 100k service.

Shocks: Just changed to 4 Koni adjustable inserts, and that's only because a test indicated one at below 40% efficiency but all still functional.

Gear box oil, rear differential oil and radiator coolant replaced once at recommended interval.

Also, SUL is about 20 pence a liter, full comp insurance about 200 quids and speeding ticket can be "settled" on the spot for less than 10 quids, so there is no natural deterrent to a heavy foot on the accelerator. Is my record typical of Scooby ownership?
Old 29 March 2004, 02:14 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Tyres 50k 90k I wish.... between 7 and 10k out of my tyres..!!!
Old 29 March 2004, 02:43 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Are you taking the p*ss out of us poor brits here?

SUL 20p/L, Fully Comp insurance £200 and speed ticket for £10 on the spot

More typical for us is SUL 80p/L, Insurance £800 and speed ticket £60 + 3 points from a camera where if you want to "discuss" the ticket it goes up to at least £100 + 3 points.

Where do you live to get that?
Old 29 March 2004, 02:45 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben
Don't forget he's talking km not miles. So that's 31k and 55.8k miles (still a bit better than yours!)
Lokokkee
Er - yes, you probably are quite slow!
Old 29 March 2004, 02:54 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

P1, sometimes I wonder whether I am driving the same car model as some of you guys here, a set of tyres lasting less than 10k miles, a set of EBC brake pads for the same distance? Even though my figures are all in kilometers, that's still a pretty big magnitude of difference. Granted I haven't been on a track yet, but I do "cruise" along the expressways under the right conditions.

Rewolf, I am from Malaysia. The offseting disadvantage we have here is the high initial cost of car ownership due to punitive import duties to protect the local "national car", the Proton, which is a joke. For cars below 2000 cc, the import duties used to start at 180% compared to about 45% for locally assembled models, so buying a Scoob is considered a luxury. However, once it is bought, the playing field is pretty level compared to local models in terms of running cost.
Old 29 March 2004, 03:18 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Lokokkee,

Ok the purchase price is higher, but we are still quite high here in the UK. Admittedly not as high as some other places though. Good luck to you.

I was wondering what sort of roads you drive on, as while I haven't been to Malaysia, I have driven in quite a few other countries, and the road quality varies quite a bit. Typical of the UK is badly deteriorating tarmac (with lots of potholes) and the occasional stretch of "high grip" surfaces which I can only interpret to mean high tyre wear surfaces.
The place that I would like to drive my impreza is South Africa, where away from the cities, the minor roads are often well maintained dirt tracks
One place where I wouldn't want to is Kenya, especially the trans-africa highway (Mombassa -> Niarobi -> West) where the tarmac surface was worn away over 30 years ago, and the potholes are often 2m long and 30cm deep (I kid you not!)
Old 29 March 2004, 03:43 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Rewolf, most of the expressways are almost brand new and tolled. City traffic is stationary most of the time, like one big parking lot, Most of the time, the surface is well maintained, without too many potholes, except the one I collided with, which apparently moved and hit me. lol.
Old 29 March 2004, 05:21 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Moving pothole....sounds like one of those insurance claims that Jasper Carrot recites in his shows....

"I ran into a stationary tree coming in the opposite direction"
"I bumped into a lampost which was obscured by Human Beings"
"Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I haven't got"
"The accident was caused by me waving to the man I hit last week"
"I knocked over a man, he admitted it was his fault and he'd been knocked down before"
"The pedestrian had no idea which direction to run, so I ran over him"
"I told the police I was not injured but on removing my hat i found I had a fractured skull"
"The blood was all over the road: I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him"
"I had been driving for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel"
"I saw a slow moving, sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the bonnet of my car"

Old 29 March 2004, 06:59 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My STi02UK is 2years old this Thursday and has done 18Kmiles

it does 15mpg and had 2 sets of tyres and will need another set soon, 1 front and rear set brake pads and now requires a front set and front Disc's.

The roads around our way must be more corrosive

Tony
Old 29 March 2004, 10:08 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Tony, you must be driving like you are on the track all the time to wear your tyres and brakes like this. During the recent F1 race in Sepang, the track temperature measured around 50 degree C, so it does get hot around here and not doing the tyres much good. That's why I am surprised at the wear rates I am getting, and it is not just with the Scoob. On my other car, a 14 year old Audi 90 quattro, I am also getting about 50k kilometers per set of Michelin tyres. Maybe the manufacturers use different compound for different climates. We get lots of rain here, but no winters, so probably a harder grade of thread compound is formulated whereas UK require a softer grade to give sufficient grip when the tyres are cold. But this still don't explain the brake wear differences.

Rewolf, I drive past that pothole every day on my way to work and I remembered clearly driving around it that time, but somehow still ended up in it with two ruptured tyres on the same side, so got to get the car towed on wheel trolleys. Based on the amount of tyre thread left, could easily last me 60k kilometers.
Old 29 March 2004, 10:24 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You must have had some ECU problem and its lowered your ign cut to 3000rpm

As I have only just got my WRX I have yet to have the joys of servicing, new tyres etc.

However I do hold the record at work - wore a full set of Potenzas out in less than 10,000 miles - on a FWD car without swaping - now that takes some doing I tell you
Old 30 March 2004, 12:17 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

when you see a roundabout do you get really excited?

If you don't, then sell the car!
Old 30 March 2004, 02:53 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Billy, the ECU is working fine, I assure you. Managed to pull to redline most of the time after toll stops, which have a wide straight for a few hundred meters and I do know what engine cutoff is like.

Akshay, roundabouts are my favourites, approach in fifth gear, dab on the brakes, shift down into third and power away. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of experiencing the g force of a sideway drift yet, but I doubt it will be anything like what I experienced when I had a tyre blowout at expressway speed and spun a couple of times between the guard rails. Changed my driving style after that.
Old 30 March 2004, 11:32 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Tyres have a hard life in the UK although road Temps are normally low, but hard to get a good comprimise.

IMHO If I were to give tyres marks out of Ten for grip taking into some account wear rate

STD fitted 17" RE040's .......Dry 7/10 Wet 7/10 Track 9/10
Bridgstone 16" SO2's.........Dry 9/10 Wet 9/10 Track 8/10
Goodyear 17" F1's..............Dry 8/10 Wet 8/10 Track 7/10
Bridgestone 17" SO3's.........Dry 7/10 Wet 9/10 Track 6/10
Bridgestone 17" RE070's......Dry 10/10 Wet 7.5/10 Track (not tried but would image too soft)

IMHO. AFAICR etc.

Tony