Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice on buying a new MY04 WRX required.

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 01:55 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on buying a new MY04 WRX required.

Hello all,

Well after a year or so of toying with the idea I am now finally looking at swapping the MR2 Roadster in for an Impreza. Mr2 is a sound car and handles great, but need a bit more space. Plus can't resist the scoob for any longer.... ;o)

I was thinking of buying a euro import, i've seen a few companies doing them for around 17k with the 3 yr warranty. I've now crossed m~torp0int off the list after the comments on here.........

Alliance are looking like a good option, got a black one in at present and bought the Mr2 off them in the past. Any options on other companies I could buy a euro car off who have them in stock. Or will I be able to get a UK dealer down to a similar level ?

Also a couple of questions regarding once I have the car :

1. To keep the warranty valid does the car have to be serviced at a subaru dealership ?

2. Does anyone know the nearest one to where I live ( Doncaster ), now that Burrells is no longer doing subaru.

3. Can I get a PPP kit fitted after I have bought the car at a subaru garage if it is a euro import ?

4. Insurance doesn't seem much more for me but requires a tracker, any reccomendations on where to get one and how much ?

5. What sort of costs can I expect for the services and what are the intervals ?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things clear before I take the plunge !

Cheers

Tikka69
Old 25 March 2004, 02:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

1. IIRC after the removal of the block exemption law, you can now have your car serviced by anyone, as long as in the event of a warranty claim they can be proven to be competant, adequately qualified and have used parts at least equal in quality to OE.
2. Have a look at www.subaru.co.uk and there is a postcode based dealer locator.
3. PPP is restricted by some sour grape red tape which says it can only be supplied by a dealer in the country of origin. I've heard of dealers ordering it using alternative chassis numbers, or people buying it from EU dealers for fitment over here, but it's a lot of effort. Due to the savings being much smaller these days, I'd recommend buying a UK car if you think you'll want PPP.
4. There are some companies who don't insist on a Tracker, www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk being one (as long as you're over 30).
5. After the initial 1000, they need servicing every 10k, but an interim oil change at least once between is highly recommended.

When looking at EU imports get an upto date price as many of the website prices are based on an exchange rate of 1.57 or higher. As the rate has been around 1.44 for ages, those prices can be way out. Also, make sure you include all the costs for getting it on the road and insured here.
You should be able to get a UK dealer down to around £18.5k without too much hassle, so EU imports aren't too appealing at the mo'.
Old 25 March 2004, 02:36 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Hi tikka69

You might find this post intersting

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=mr2
Old 25 March 2004, 06:23 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Don't get a black one! Bitch to keep clean - seriously!
Old 25 March 2004, 06:32 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bullring
True...but the most discrete colour if that's your bag.
Old 26 March 2004, 05:15 AM
gumboot
Scooby Newbie

SURE BITCH TO KEEP CLEAN BUT IF ITS GRAPHITE BLACK THE MOST BEAUTIFUL COLOUR IN THE LIGHT OR DARK,AWSOME GOLD AND GREEN FLECK,UTTERLY AWSOME
Old 26 March 2004, 08:17 AM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Has anyone managed to get a PPP kit fitted to a Euro WRX car ?
Old 26 March 2004, 11:14 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Tikka

Just a thought, if know one replys on the "Has anyone managed to get a PPP kit fitted to a Euro WRX car ?"
How about ringing a dealer up and askign them?

Personly cant see why there would be a problem.....
Old 26 March 2004, 11:29 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Tikka as the owner of a WRX03 with PPP supplied by a UK dealer, If I had my time again and purchased an import there is no point trying to fit a PPP kit to it Get it Re maped at TSL, Power Engineering, Powerstation, Exreme, with exhaust mods will give a bit more power than PPP and Potentially better driveability.

Regards

John
Old 26 March 2004, 11:30 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

You wont get a UK dealer down at all - believe me I Tried......ok they will throw in mats and say the Metallic Paint for free

Given the e/r as people have said the actual cost is higher than £17k - I've looked at it and a couple of yrs back bought a Honda Civic Type R when the e/r was very good (now it is fairly crap at 1.48-1.50 - this is the interbank rate dont forget - so you will get slightly worse than this!!)

The experience of an import from Europe is something I will not go through again - I suggest you take account of the fact that you will typically be wiating for 20 weeks for it - unless someone like say Litchfield imports have already bulk ordered vehicles due to come in (in which case you'll have to go for the spec they've ordered) - this is just an example

I have just purchased a WRX 04 wr blue from a main dealers - but have used Pat Lawless at Carfile - it cost me £18449 plus £231 for metallic. The discount was 7.6% to list.

I could have got cheaper with some of the internet sites but then even though they say that the car will come from a dealer in the UK - that dealer could be based 400 miles away and then you have no real transparancy that you are getting an official UK car (instead of an import - the Chassis number gives it away) - so I opted for the safe option - paid a couple of hundred pounds more and now I will have to wait a couple of weeks to get my car from Soton (Sparshatts) which is only 90 miles away from me
Old 26 March 2004, 12:02 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i payed 18,600 for a UK car. and there isn't a single car on the planet that doesn't look best in black.

I include red rari's, green jags, white jap sports or siver mercs.

Black is the only car colour choice IMHO
Old 26 March 2004, 12:41 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Hmm - my dealer was very obliging (SGT) when I had him bidding against another dealer (Adam's in Aylesbury).
I paid £20,500 for mine, but had metallic paint and a strut brace fitted, rubber and carpet mats and a pollen filter all thrown in and got £14,500 for my 9 month old CTR with 9.5 on the clock - 2 bald tyres, tracking out and needing a service. I reckon I got a discount of nearly £1.8K
Old 26 March 2004, 12:49 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Hmm - my dealer was very obliging (SGT) when I had him bidding against another dealer (Adam's in Aylesbury).
I paid £20,500 for mine, but had metallic paint and a strut brace fitted, rubber and carpet mats and a pollen filter all thrown in and got £14,500 for my 9 month old CTR with 9.5 on the clock - 2 bald tyres, tracking out and needing a service. I reckon I got a discount of nearly £1.8K
yeah, I actually paed £20,200 with Tracker & Lifetime subs, metallic paint, Prodrive quickshift, stainless steel door sills and WRX mats.

Old 26 March 2004, 02:00 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

PS - Agreed on the Black BTW!
Old 26 March 2004, 06:30 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gumboot
SURE BITCH TO KEEP CLEAN BUT IF ITS GRAPHITE BLACK THE MOST BEAUTIFUL COLOUR IN THE LIGHT OR DARK,AWSOME GOLD AND GREEN FLECK,UTTERLY AWSOME
I agree...

I've spent many a Saturday with the Meguiar's and the result is stunning, especially when the sun hits the gold/green fleck. But I would consider another colour if/when I come to getting another Impreza.

All I was saying is a black car (doesn't matter what is) is a git to keep clean, especially a metallic black one.

I would recommend Meguiar's "Quik Detailer", it give a just waxed finished.

My 2 cents
Old 27 March 2004, 10:44 AM
gumboot
Scooby Newbie

I agree...

I've spent many a Saturday with the Meguiar's and the result is stunning, especially when the sun hits the gold/green fleck. But I would consider another colour if/when I come to getting another Impreza.

All I was saying is a black car (doesn't matter what is) is a git to keep clean, especially a metallic black one.

I would recommend Meguiar's "Quik Detailer", it give a just waxed finished.

My 2 cents

Don't know if we can get that here in South Africa but thanks for the advice, will have to check that one out! Had a blue MY00 GT before and have too admit as a die hard scooby fanatic blue will always be the colour but I figured it was time for a change .I saw a STi in graphite black and was hooked.I,ve got a labourer at work that cleans my car every second day so don't feel the pinch of continuos washing.How often do you polish your car?
Old 27 March 2004, 11:39 AM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Smile 22,000

m8 go the whole hog carcraft up your way just done me an sti 04 3 years warranty for 22,000 and she is awesome. not far from you if you dont want to haggle you can give my name pm me for mob number
Old 27 March 2004, 12:47 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

i've got some meguirs quick polish which i haven't had a chance to use yet their shampoo/conditioner (why take two bottles into the carwash) is the shiznit