ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Lancaster, Reading

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2000, 02:00 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've read some threads about this Dealership, but I'd like to get an update.
I bought my MY00 from them and the Sales guys were excellent. Judging from the comments about SGT it looks like anyone who wants to buy a new Scoob in the Reading area should go to Lancaster.

BUT I have to say that my opinion of aftersales service from Lancaster is dropping. I admit that it's still better than the Ford and Vauxhall garages I have used in the past, but based on JD Thingy it should be a LOT better.

Anyway, I am getting the 1st service (1K) done by Lancasters, and they can't do much wrong can they? At least I will be making sure that they do use a good brand semi-synth especially as I'm sure I will be paying over the odds for it.

But now I'm thinking about future services. I live very close to Lancasters, but fortunately I work in Basingstoke and I've read good things about Mill Lane Engineering. So I have a choice - or do I?

Having paid megabuck more than the sensible people who imported from Europe (I would have done but needed a car quickly), I'm at least going to protect my precious warranty. So if I use Mill Lane do I still keep it?

Please would anyone with (servicing) experience of Lancasters and/or Mill Lane give me an update? Are Lancasters still bad and are Mill Lane still good?
Old 22 June 2000, 02:57 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dippy

I've used Lancaster 7 Oaks for all my bits & pieces since I bought the car off them, 'cept the 1000m service as I did the miles v. quickly (1 wk so went to Ace Kensington). I have always found them to be very helpful, courteous & do a good job. They always pick the car up from me in London on time & return on time. They had to keep the car overnight (warranty on elec window mechanism) & supplied a loan car. The only problem I've had is that their exterior cleaning of the car is not up to my standard, but I'm a wax nut.

That's 7.5k & 15k service + warranty work on window. Also 1st body service.

Prices are not OTT & I think quite reasonable.

I know it's not the Reading crowd but they are from the same stable. Wasn't Reading meant to be Subaru Dealer of the Year?

Hope that is of some help.
Old 22 June 2000, 03:43 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Dippy,

I haven't any practical experience yet (waitng for a UK spec car from Holland to arrive), but was certainly planning to use Lancaster, Reading, for servicing, etc.

Having talked to their services people on the phone though about handling the car when it eventually arrives, I was pretty impressed, and thought they were very helpful.

What specifically has been the problem then, as with less than 1000 miles on the clock presumably they haven't done much work on the car?

Pete
Old 22 June 2000, 08:06 PM
Frankie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lancaster- Bloody good blokes !(esp. Sevenoaks)
Old 22 June 2000, 08:14 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

I have used Mill Lane for a few years now, always found them to be helpfull, polite, friendly and reliable. No problems whatsoever and I have recommended friends to them.

I don`t think it matters what OFFICIAL dealer you use, it doesn`t invalidate your warranty.

Kevin
Old 22 June 2000, 09:38 PM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

I bought my used 96MY at Lancaster Reading and only wish that I lived closer for servicing purposes. All the guys there have been very helpful.

I know we expect good service, but Subaru aren't exactly BMW or Mercedes and in my opinion do a very good for the market they're in. If you want your car to be washed and waxed (jesus christ!!) with a full interior valet buy a Merc.

All in all, very impressed with the guys at Reading !

Neil.
Old 23 June 2000, 10:32 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Wink

See thread of same topic title in Miscelleous.

Thanks for your responses. It appears that I shouldn't be too worried about Lancasters, however it does seem that Mill Lane are good and are a bit cheaper.

When I come to the 7.5K service I think I'll get estimates from both and judge it on that.