Sponsored by:

Which Snooper is best ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 11:16 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Snooper is best ?

I am currently looking at spending some hard earned on a Snooper but having looked into it I am a little confused by the various models available and what they offer ?

I am wanting to spend about £200 and would obviously like to have the most protection I can get for the money and would therefore appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on firstly which one to buy and secondly where from ?

Cheers in advance
Old 23 March 2004, 11:20 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

youve just missed out on the target lrc100 groupbuy for £200, shame.

IMHO rader and laser detectors are pretty pointless, they have lots of false alarms and in the end you just tend to ignore the inane chatter out of them. and they do not detect the forward facing truvelo or specs type cameras.

look at the GPS camera detectors and a laser jammer this gives you a good level of nip prevention :-).
Old 23 March 2004, 12:42 PM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pbee
look at the GPS camera detectors and a laser jammer this gives you a good level of nip prevention :-).
I agree, recently picked up a Snooper S4 Neo with GPS and Laser. The database of cameras is very good and allows you to reocrd your own points of interest which can then be uploaded.

If your lucky you can get on on Ebay for £250-£300 against a list price of £380 ish.
Old 23 March 2004, 01:11 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'd agree. You've really gotta spend that little extra and go for a GPS based system, with added radar / laser protection for an all round package. Ive a Snooper S6 Neo kit that works well, but there are others to mix n match...
Old 23 March 2004, 06:49 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've just fitted a Origin B2 and it's much better looking than the snooper S6 IMO.

And fits nicely in the cigarette lighter.

Also the LRC1000 jammer thingy goes straight in with an extra lead.

Old 23 March 2004, 06:58 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nevetas

How long have you had the B2 and LRC100 integrated ?

Mine only lasted a few miles before repeated false alarms where B2 shows "Diffuser", which should only show when LRC100 triggers for a genuine reason

Was working find when the LRC100 was on a seperate switch

BTW, B2 speed sensitive smart mode applies only to radar integration, not laser integration

Last edited by madou; 23 March 2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 23 March 2004, 07:31 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

I have an Origin B2 and an LRC100. I was speaking with Steve Warren from www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk yesterday and he recommends not connecting the LRC100 to the B2. He said there have been many reports of problems like the B2 not alarming when it gets a signal from the LRC100. I've left mine seperate for the time being.

Nevetas. Not sure I like the B2 fitted so low down. I have mine fitted on the right hand side of the dash, under the a pillar, so a quick glance is all I need to take in the info.

Last edited by MarksWRX; 23 March 2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 23 March 2004, 07:35 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I dont have a jammer connected as yet, but when I do probably best to run it seperate from the sounds of it then.

Maybe they will bring out a fix?

Last edited by Nevetas; 23 March 2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 23 March 2004, 07:37 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarksWRX
Nevetas. Not sure I like the B2 fitted so low down. I have mine fitted on the right hand side of the dash, under the a pillar, so a quick glance is all I need to take in the info.
Indeed I was going to fit it there, so I sellotaped it where it is and had a quick run to make sure I could see it, and it was OK. But would probably be better to the right but I have other plans for that

Also as it talks to you, makes it even easier.
Old 23 March 2004, 07:40 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
I dont have a jammer connected as yet, but when I do probably best to run it seperate from the sounds of it then.

Maybe they will bring out a fix?
My Origin B2 and LRC 100 work perfectly, triggered 4 times so far when targetted by a lazer gun...

The LRC 100 needs to be set-up correctly for it to work effectively, mine is level and right under the front number plate...

I can get mine to trigger by touching a Sky remote control on the LRC100 lense and pressing any button...might be worth a go although not everyones unit seems to trigger with the remote control
Old 23 March 2004, 07:41 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

There is a piccy of where mine is positioned on my website

www.angrybeats.co.uk

Click the MINI link
Old 23 March 2004, 07:41 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
But would probably be better to the right but I have other plans for that
I know the feeling. With a PDA/GPS, a knocklink and a lamdalink all to the left and a B2 and Boost gauge to the right I'm rapidly running out of space
Old 23 March 2004, 07:44 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Marks what kind of timing have you got set for alerts.

Mine is on the factory default setting of 15 (20 for motorway) seconds, but interested to know if you have found something more suitable?
Old 23 March 2004, 07:48 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

I use the standard settings myself. Seems about right for me timing wise.

Mark
Old 23 March 2004, 08:28 PM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've fitted my Origin B2 on the blank space to the right of the cup holder and just above the headunit on my MY03 WRX. It is a great piece of kit and I recommend it highly. I got mine last week off ebay, brand new, to my door for £345.

My only complaint is the unit seems to be rattling when on the move, vibrating slightly against its receiver/cradle. Has anyone else had this? I was thinking of adding a tiny piece of tape to the back of the unit to stop this.

Cheers

Graham
Old 23 March 2004, 08:43 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G4RUD
I've fitted my Origin B2 on the blank space to the right of the cup holder and just above the headunit on my MY03 WRX.
Got a picture?
Old 23 March 2004, 09:09 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by G4RUD
My only complaint is the unit seems to be rattling when on the move, vibrating slightly against its receiver/cradle. Has anyone else had this? I was thinking of adding a tiny piece of tape to the back of the unit to stop this.
Origin state that the "magnets should be strong enough" to prevent this rattle, however I need to tape mine down to the in car cradle to prevent the loss of satellite lock over bumps

Known issue with desktop connector, meaning that you have to hold the unit and connector together when updating, they intend to launch a desktop cradle

Agree with MarksWRX regarding integration, my fault for listening to Origin instead of the installer, who advised me correctly that there were problems
Old 23 March 2004, 09:13 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Madou. My friend had the same problems with his. He used a sanding block to smooth the bottom edge and problem solved.

Mark
Old 23 March 2004, 09:32 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarksWRX
Madou. My friend had the same problems with his. He used a sanding block to smooth the bottom edge and problem solved.
Mark
At present I'm tempted to experiment with a grinding wheel ! Contact surfaces appear even, my concern is that if I start modifying the case, or in car cradle, the supplier will not take the goods back if the failure persists

Origin have good software and database, unfortunate they did not spend a little more on physical construction
Old 23 March 2004, 09:41 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Madou. My friend spoke to Origin about it and they know. They had a bad batch of cases. He thinks they may offer a replacement if you contact them. The sanding he's done isnt enough to do any damge that would effect warranty.
Mine is fine and not many others seem to have this problem so I think the bad batch explanation is probably true.

Edit: Best to modify the unit as thats where the problem is. Mine fits his unit/cable fine. His has the same problems in my unit/cable.

Last edited by MarksWRX; 23 March 2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 24 March 2004, 01:34 AM
G4RUD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact Origin first about the problem and see what they reckon.

As for a picture, I'll try to get one up as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Graham