Sponsored by:

UNICHIP QUERIES???

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2004, 10:13 PM
SKOOBY D
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry UNICHIP QUERIES???

Got WRX STI Type R - 280bhp as standard!!!!!!!!!! had a rolling road at John Nobles its got 286bhp - but have got decat, pipe-across filter, lightened fly wheel and polished and ported heads!! Would have thought it would have more bhp!! and then I had a unichip upgrade by John Noble and the bhp now is 304bhp!!!! and the torque was 237.6lb ft and is now 254.3lb ft!!!
Any comments on this??? not too happy with the outcome of only 14bhp for £650!!!!
Old 21 March 2004, 10:20 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

As a Japanese import, the car is more prone to det, especially when you lean out the mixture with the breathing modifications you have added to your car. (As it may not be running enough fuel, too much boost or ignition timing not retarding enough)

The Unichip may now be making your car running more safely with ignition timing, boost levels and fuelling now correct at correct/safe levels!

Bear in mind that the import cars come with 280PS (276bhp as standard), also that is with the car running on Japanese grade fuel (100 RON), so running Optimax/Super (97 Octane) will lose power, as normally the ECU will retard the ignition timing due to the lower grade of fuel, which in turn can lose you power.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:03 PM
King RA
BANNED

power sounds down to me, especially the torque. Take it to power engineering in Uxbridge as they are the daddies for sorting cars out on their rolling road. I have a MY95 WRX RA and get 282 bhp and 267 lbs/ft torque, this is with a K&N and full decat. I would not have thought for 1 minute a modded type R would be less than this.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:14 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

286bhp->304bhp = 18bhp increase

To be fair, I assume that the rolling road days occurred on different days.

Many factors can alter the results:

Ambient temperature
Engine temperature (heat soak in the TMIC)
Tyre pressures (higher pressures normally give you bigger figures, but higher transmission losses)
Humidity
Octane of petrol (super can go off and lose octance! or even a bad batch of fuel)
Loadings on the rolling road (were they the same as the previous rolling road session)
When they backed off the run (sometimes there is more at the top end, normally with bigger turbos)

A good comparison is what sort of figures other cars make on their rollers!
Old 22 March 2004, 09:15 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKOOBY D
...pipe-across filter,...
WTF??? Piper X?
As for the 18bhp increase, I think that's respectable isn't it, for just a remap and no new mods? How does it drive? Did you discuss the probable results before you agreed to have the remap done, and did you have any choice in which particular areas of the map you wanted to focus on? ie safety, power, drivability, etc?