The TEK3

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2004, 12:45 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The TEK3

Can anybody confirm this for me please.

When you buy a TEK3 remap, do you get a completely new ECU (mapped to your car) and remove your standard one?

Thanks for your help
Neil.
Old 21 March 2004, 12:48 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

No, your old ecu is reprogrammed.
Old 21 March 2004, 01:19 PM
scoobytravis
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb TEK3

The TEK3 remap is a "custom" remap of your existing ECU (MY99 Cars and above). It basically involves you taking your car to the tuner who will connect a laptap to your ECU through the port underneath the steering column. Using the ECUTEK software and laptop he can then change the ECU parameters such as fuelling, boost, ignition advance and remap the car to offer higher, but still safe performance. This is usually carried out either on the road whilst driving under different conditions or on a rolling road.

You may have seen posts regarding TEK1, 2 and 2.5

Generally these are maps offering a lower gain in performance

Tek1 (to my recollection) is a remap made to improve some hesitation issues between the 99/00 ECU maps (MY00 ECU)

Tek2 is usually offered as a postal remap whereby the tuner maps the ECU "on the bench" with more conservative (and safe) settings based on mods such as decat exhaust/panel filter. Usually sent on exchange basis

Tek 2.5 was offered by john banks (no longer offering mapping) and was based on several custom maps of cars with decat offerring a small increase in performance over the TEK 2. Recommended to have boost gauge fitted, Samco intercooler hoses and knocklink to monitor for engine "knock".

I think the TEK 1,2,3 numbering has all but been dropped by most tuners, and some refer to stage 1,2 remaps etc.... depending upon what other mods have been carried out on the car prior to the remap. Others just refer to a remap to account for any modifications you have made to the car.

I think what is important is that for any car, the fuelling/boost must be correct for the type of car, (Jas import/UK/WRX/STi etc..) the fuel been used and any modification/s made.
You do hear of imported cars been brought over privately, run on 95 octane fuel, causing engine detonation (running lean) and then resulting engine damage/rebuild. A remap would/should solve this (either to run on 95 octane with decreased performance, or mapped for optimax 98 Octane with higher performance). This is not an issue with UK cars, but consider that any modifications may impact upon the cars fuelling requirements. Though UK cars safe with full decat, but would require remappping for safety if for example injectors/turbo changed to different from OEM.

Personally I ran MY99 UK car with full decat/panel filter for a while, then went for John Banks 2.5 postal remap, and more recently had car custom mapped by TSL. Have not had car on rolling road, but think rather than quote horsepower just drive and see the difference..... much more responsive, regarding overtaking etc.., higher boost (18psi peak, 17psi held) on boost gauge, little activity on knocklink (only green leds lit at high revs). Very pleased with all stages of these mods from initial decat exhaust, johns postal map, and more recently TSL custom "TEK3" mapping.

Whatever mapping i had done though, I would recommend boost gauge, possibly samco intercooler hoses (OEM prone to splitting at higher boost, and samco smoother to marginally increase performance), and some (like me) added knocklink monitor. Choose your tuner carefully (ECUTEK approved) and mapping will be safe, but in event of problem such as failing MAF sensor (common on 99/00 cars),MAY cause car to run lean (knocklink may detect this by picking up engine knock) giving a pre-warning that all is not well.

Hope this helps from my (limited) experiences

Graham
Old 21 March 2004, 01:36 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Neilo........there's a great deal going on at the moment on a tek3 in the group buy forum. We only need a couple more names to secure the excellent price of £500+VAT. This mapping will be done by BRD..one of the very best, if not the best, in the business.
This offer closes this coming Friday, March 26th.

smurfy.
Old 21 March 2004, 01:57 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Smurfy,

I may interested in this too (Group Buy).

I have an STi 5 and will certainly be looking to a remap in the future and Bob was my chosen mapper (based on the comments I've read on SN from many happy punters).

How much is the discount on the standard price? (If it's decent then I'll look at moving it foward).

Can you point me in the direction of the Group Buy thread pleeeeeeeasse.
Old 21 March 2004, 03:41 PM
RB5_IOM
Scooby Regular

Smile zhastaph

I'm currently running the group buy for the TEK3 Please look in groupbuys on the main forum page. You would usually expect to pay £650+vat for a tek3. BRD are offering this at an unbeatable price of £500+vat.

If you are interested in this, please either visit the thread or send me an email for more details. All details are also within the thread.

The closing date for this Group buy is Friday 26th Feb. Don't miss out on a great offer

Mark
Old 21 March 2004, 03:42 PM
RB5_IOM
Scooby Regular

Default Neilo

Please contact me if you are interested in the group buy or visit thre thread within group buys,

Thanks
Old 21 March 2004, 04:00 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Believe me £587.50 is easily beatable and no need for a group buy special either.

If your happy with the price your getting thats the most important thing but dont be fooled into thinking they are doing you a fantastic price as they arent.

I know BRD have a good reputation but they will push that you must have the 3 port boost solenoid (£100 +) and a Knocklink (£100+) and then your in the region of £900 which isnt 'A GOOD DEAL'. Ohh and the fuel down to them to do the work.

The figure you must be aiming for is £550 all in and no more and then they are still making a good profit as they get the licence for a lot less than £550.

If you are taking a group buy down to them you must push harder for a better price or look somewhere else,remember they arent the only ones who do this work,you should play each re-seller against one another for better pricing.
Old 21 March 2004, 04:10 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I would love to get on board with this group by but im in no position to do it right now
besides i dont have any of the mods complete that i need. other than the panel filter!!

As usual, just at the wrong time....