Notices

gems vs tek3

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2003, 12:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
does any know which would be the best for a 99 impreza, already have a tek3 but needs tweaking so im undecided whether to take the tek3 off and put a gems on, purely for the fact a gems is easier in the long run for me to get remapped, any know know which one would prove to be the best mod
Old 26 December 2003, 12:38 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you want to do something which the standard ECU simply can't handle (e.g. major induction mods/MAF elimination, extra injectors, anti-lag or similar), you're probably better off sticking with the Subaru ECU/TeK route.

The standard ECU is more tolerant of varying grades of fuel, cold starting and other such everyday factors than most of the aftermarket products. Given what can be achieved with the standard ECU in the hands of a good mapper, IMO there's little to justify the large expense necessary in getting hold of/mapping GEMS/Motec type hardware.

You'll get a much more noticeable performance boost spending the money that would have gone on the GEMS on a different turbo/FMIC (etc.) and getting the existing ECU mapped around it.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 12/26/2003 12:42:52 PM]
Old 26 December 2003, 12:53 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Steve, to be honest mate i am not a big fan of gems for a everyday road car.
everyone that i know who runs one has cold running problems, the cars don't like been driven when cold.
for a more user friendly car stick with the tek 3.
if you want maximum power from your car on the otherhand the gems system is very good, that's why all the rally guys swear by them.
think Alyn at AS-PERFORMANCE will do you a gems at around the £1300 mark including mapping(by Steve Simpson).
at the end of the day it's all down the the guy who maps it!
for best results with a gems it's Steve Simpson, if it's tek3 then Bob Rawle at BRD.
i use an APEXI power fc mapped by Andy Forest.

the choice is yours

Old 26 December 2003, 01:24 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tek3's are good and I'd agree that unless chasing mega power levels where you'll be making major mods that you couldn't manage using the standard ECU then stay put.

With regards to mappers, I know of Bob at BRD and I know he has a good reputation, I would also strongly recommend Richard Bulmer, now working at TSL. He is the former MD of MoTec and has a very impressive CV in premier level motorsport. He did a recent Tek3 on my car and the difference to my Tek2 setup by Merv at PE is quite profound. Merv commented when I asked him whether to bother with a Tek3 that 'you couldn't normally pay for someone with Richard's credentials to map a road car - do it!' He's worked in F1 and WRC (Toyota) to name a couple.