Whats wrong with my car...!!!:(

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2004, 12:09 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my car...!!!:(

Hi guys and gals,

I have had an ongoing problem with me car that subaru cant seem to fix, i was hoping someone on here will be able to shed some light...

The car:

MY93 WRX Import,
65k miles,
STI 5/6 IC,
Mongoose de-cat,
HKS Filter,
Dawes device

When i turn the car on from cold it runs ok, then after about a mile or two of slow driving i loose all power, it does'nt stall or anything but when i let the clutch up there is no power, it just does'nt go nowhere, but it will rev freely with the clutch down, but it idle's very irractic...!!!

Now when i turn the car off after the above has happened then turn it back on it still has the symtons, but if you leave it off for about 5 mins it runs fine...!!!

The annoying thing is that it does'nt do this all the time, you just don't know where and when your gonna break down...

I've recently had a new gearbox fitted (which sorted the porb for about 3 weeks, now it's doing it again), new up-pipe and new rocker cover gaskets...

Can anyone please help me with this as subaru arn't much help, and i'm seriously thinking about selling the car...

Regards,

John.
Old 14 March 2004, 04:05 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

anyone...
Old 14 March 2004, 04:52 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Just a guess
It could be a coil pack(s) or fuel starvation due to a week pump.The air flow sensor can also cause this type of behaviour.
A loose earth is another possibility.

Has it never done this when cold?

It depends on what has been checked by the dealers and what possibilities havent yet been eliminated.

Last edited by dij; 14 March 2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14 March 2004, 06:18 PM
ChrisChennell
Scooby Regular

Default hmm

Does the impreza have a clutch damper? I hate to make the suggestion that an impreza has anything in common with a metro but my old metro (first car) had a clutch damper to make the pedal lighter - not that it needed it, and that decided to fail which had the symptoms that it would drive fine for about 4 or 5 depressions of the clutch, then it would just give up and not engage the clutch. i think. or was it wouldnt disengage.... hmm.
Old 14 March 2004, 08:52 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

It runs fine once it's warm, it's just first thing when it's cold...!!!

I thought of coli packs/plugs etc but would this cause it to not move at all, would these cars run on 3 cylinders...!!!

John.
Old 14 March 2004, 09:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow

I think the early WRX imports had a fifth injector for cold starts - basically a choke injector - if this is knackered it would be trying to run without the extra fuel it needs for a cold start/warmup.

Leaving it for 5 mins after a short running period - even on idle, the heat soak thru the engine would be enough for it then not to require the extra fuel.

N.B I could be talking ballacks, but it makes sense to me......

edited to add:-

I would also try the earth mod oft talked about in this forum - its very cheap & easy to do, with earth cables ready made from Halfords costing at most £5 and half an hours time - rules out the earth problems and it nearly always make the car run better anyway.

Last edited by Dr Hu; 14 March 2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 14 March 2004, 10:45 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

OK im still geussing but if you say that youre not getting any power but the engine still idles without load ,then it seems like a week spark or perhaps one coil not firing???

If the problem is only when cold then it might be a cold start valve.

Then again on scoobys they seem to have more MAF related problems thn anything else.

Last edited by dij; 14 March 2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 15 March 2004, 08:29 AM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Hi,

The car is going in for a service tommorow so hopefully the guy will pick something up (non subaru service), if not i will just have to keep hunting...

Just thinking, when you say cold start valve, i have a tapping noise most of the time at the mo, i thought it was just the usual tappet noise that these cars have when cold, but it seems to stick around even on long 'hot' journeys now, maybe this could be the cause...!!!

Cheers for all the replys so far...

John.
Old 20 March 2004, 11:37 AM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Dont mean to be a doom-monger but my 93 wrx import had the same thing and then a big end went!
The car was dead for 3 months!!

I really hope that its not the same thing happening to you, i really do. Get some to look at it mate