Traffic on scoobynet since the change

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2004, 02:33 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traffic on scoobynet since the change

Hi All

I thought I'd update you on how things are in terms of stats, etc since the change.

If you take the week prior to the change and compare it to this week, we are about 6% up on overall traffic.

The number of posts is down by about 8%.

This week (based on approximations, as the site has had some downtime) shows and increase in posting per day by just under 1% over last week, and about the same level of actual traffic to the site.

What we have seen is the dramatic improvement in the signal v noise ratio that we were all hoping for. I think this is where the reduction of 8% (which is actually a greater reduction in real terms due to the increase in traffic) comes from.

All in all, I personally find scoobynet a far nicer place to be now. The technical side is still being tweaked, and we'll continue to see improvements over the coming weeks (although it's pretty good now - I think we'd all agree), but the main improvement has been the incredibly positive reaction of the community to the way we all communicate with one-another (fight club excluding! ).

Thank you to everyone for all your support during the last few weeks. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to us, and has made the whole thing worthwhile again.

All the best

Simon
Old 27 February 2004, 03:22 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice 1 webby, and well done to you and Shaun for the sweat and tears
Old 27 February 2004, 08:19 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

So I take it you've gas flowed the mouse, re-mapped the monitor and are currently using a front mount 'VF' series cooling fan.

Lightweight keyboard coming next?
Old 27 February 2004, 11:50 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Good stuff
Old 28 February 2004, 10:08 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Well done for your hard work

Darren
Old 29 February 2004, 03:59 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear the stats are all positive Simon. Well done for all your hard work!
Old 29 February 2004, 09:18 PM
yoza
BANNED

Thanks for everything, your my un-sung hero.

I am not worthy.

All your hard work, unpaid, just for my self gratification.

Simon you rock.

As for the stats, congratulations, you must be over the moon.

I thought it had been pretty quiet of late, but hey, maybe its just me.
Old 29 February 2004, 10:15 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

yoza

As you can see by the majority of posting on here, we are a community that enjoys each other's company, and general light hearted chit chat. You seem to have a serious hang-up about something judging by a large number of your posts of late.

If you do not like it here, please leave of your own accord.

If you do like it here, please enjoy it, but unless you have something useful or at least friendly to say, please leave the posting to others.

Regards

Simon
Old 29 February 2004, 10:24 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

I think its great but i am taking time to get used to the new format. Must be my age (40 ) and finding change harder to cope with

steve

thanks boss
Old 01 March 2004, 10:27 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Well the forums look better but all is not good IMHO.

Blatant posting ads is more £££ that i cannot see Scoobynet needing.
And £25 to turn these off, well that is not fair.
You should be getting enough revenue from the rotating add that changes at the top of the forums which may i add i do agree with!

Then there is an few issues with trying to search the memberlist and view last posts but i guess plus members get to do this? If so hardly fair again.
You cannot tell me that there is a bug with the member database as if you have the members already on the new forum software then searching for members already here is not a problem. Also im guessing but you may of disabled "view new posts" as you fear that it will search posts in forums that are hidden to normal members and they will be able to see but it will not search within these forums if permissions are set right with each and every usergroup.

Sorry to be pointing these things out but other than that i still think scoobynet is a top place to be.
Old 01 March 2004, 12:06 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ WATTS
Well the forums look better but all is not good IMHO.

Blatant posting ads is more £££ that i cannot see Scoobynet needing.
And £25 to turn these off, well that is not fair.
You should be getting enough revenue from the rotating add that changes at the top of the forums which may i add i do agree with!

Then there is an few issues with trying to search the memberlist and view last posts but i guess plus members get to do this? If so hardly fair again.
You cannot tell me that there is a bug with the member database as if you have the members already on the new forum software then searching for members already here is not a problem. Also im guessing but you may of disabled "view new posts" as you fear that it will search posts in forums that are hidden to normal members and they will be able to see but it will not search within these forums if permissions are set right with each and every usergroup.

Sorry to be pointing these things out but other than that i still think scoobynet is a top place to be.
Not all old posts are indexed yet, and the search stuff hasn't been tuned to cope with user levels. This is why only SN+ can use search at the mo.

I don't think the memberlist will ever be used, it never was before!

Andy
Old 01 March 2004, 01:53 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

(It's Shaun here)

DJ Watts,

Thanks for your comments.

Sustainability is a major part of running Scoobynet successfully. We have just recently over the past couple of weeks, purchased a brand new server and replaced another existing one. In total we now have 3 servers taking the load. To run these servers and enable us the bandwidth requirements we need costs a LARGE amount of money.... the service/support SLA's alone would make your eyes water, but we must have a secure and stable (as good as feasibily possible) infrastructure which is our priority. Simon and I have now come to the decision that we will not continue to bolster up monies for Scoobynet with our own income earnt from our full-time jobs, this is something we have been doing now for too long. I hope you can see now the reason why we must make Scoobynet self supporting.

Not sure what you mean by the memberlist, as this fucntion has never been available to anyone?

As regards to the search facility as quite rightly pointed out, this still needs further work as it will not function correctly at the moment. This we are working hard on to resolve asap.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 01 March 2004, 03:41 PM
yoza
BANNED

Simon,

I have no serious hangups about anything.

If I did, and they were to do with you, you would be the first to know about it.

As for the advice on how to enjoy this BBS, and when and where to post:

Whilst I can, I will post when I feel like, with whatever content I deem rellevant.
The same as I have done since joining.

I dont recall starting or replying to any threads with anything more sinister than sarcasm or an attempt at slight humour.

If you ( or anyone else ) has a problem with me, let me know why, simple as that.

As for 'leave of my own accord'........whats all that about?
Old 01 March 2004, 09:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yoza- Don't worry, I saw a similar saying in the Honda forum but it read "please leave of your own Impreza"
Old 01 March 2004, 10:03 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Yoza- Don't worry, I saw a similar saying in the Honda forum but it read "please leave of your own Impreza"

LMAO