Uni-Chip & MY00

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2000, 08:28 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

A little help needed,
I know this subject has been done many times but I have not yet seen anyone report on fitting a Uni-Chip to this model year.
Have already fitted a new downpipe, de-cat centre section , backbox and induction kit.
Any response from 99/00 model year converstions especially appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08 June 2000, 10:41 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Hey there Grant...

I am in a similar position...I carried forward all my mods from my 97 Turbo to my 2000 spec car.

I too am considering the various ECU options at present...but I am swayed toward brake upgrades as I use my car quite regularly on the track.

I will follow this thread with interest

Happy Hunting

Ian
Old 08 June 2000, 11:02 PM
Mr BLITZ
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ian,

Go for the Prodrive brake kit matey

Unichip can wait !!!

Bye bye

Mr BLITZ
a.k.a. Dino555
Old 09 June 2000, 01:07 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Grant...

The UNICHIP conversion will work the same for any MY year model. It all depends on how much boost you wish to run, to how BHP/TORQUE you want!

1.2 bar is about the limit for a UK car, for reliability!

From this you should expect about 30 bhp (or 50 bhp on other rollers! )with a exhaust and filter! If you are considering a CHIP upgrade, then I would suggest you go for a cat-less exhaust system as well. Scoobies seem to have a major bottleneck in the cat side of things, if more power is required.

Just remember that NEARLY all exhausts and filter system's will not give much BHP over standard. If you want REAL power, you need to ditch the cats & get a chip/ecu (or take your car to POWER ENGINEERING )

Speak to Rich @ Powerstation for more info...

Shaun.

P.S. Ignore the article in Banzai magazine, concerning the UNICHIP upgrade. The boost was not raised that much, hence the low power figures!
Old 09 June 2000, 05:02 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input,
Shaun I already have a full cat-less system but when I spoke to Power they did not recommend chip this model.
Just happened to be in Luton today so popped along to PTS for a run on their dyno and was very pleased.
235 bhp
251 lbft

I wonder what fitting a Uni-Chip may acheive now.

Grant
Old 09 June 2000, 08:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Was the comment made by PE, anything to do with the fact that THEY don't have any maps for that year for there ECU conversion

The principal of the UNICHIP will work on any car. The UNICHIP itself WILL fit ANY car, it's just the wiring that would be different!

It uses the simple modification of fueling & ignition & boost!!!! The principal of mapping is the same, regardless of car type or model!

Shaun.
Old 09 June 2000, 10:47 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Shaun what I meant was that Power Engineering did not recommend any chip upgrade to this model year at all.

Having spoken to Powerstation they agreed that the superchip was definatley not advisable on this model year but the Uni-Chip was more than appropriate and though they had only done a couple of convertions to this model year the customers had been pleased with the results.

The results that I got at PTS today have made me wonder is there is more torque to be had given that this is very near the standard for a WRX .
Old 10 June 2000, 03:33 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Grant...

Not wishing to get inthrawled in another "Who's got the most accurate Dyno", but forget what figures you have now.

If you do back to back testing - before and after on the same day -, you will get a relevant comparison. By fitting a UNICHIP (by a good mapper aka PS) YOU WILL have an increase in torque and bhp! The figures may be different on different rollers, but the before & after will show an increase nether the less.

Take the plunge, and become another happy UNICHIPPER!

Shaun.
Old 10 June 2000, 07:48 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Grant,

I believe the same rollers that you went on produced over 380ft/lb of torque for a LINK modded Scoob (STi)

Make of that what you will!

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 10-06-2000).]
Old 11 June 2000, 09:42 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Rannoch/
That could be 400+ at PE or just 250 at PS.
But as I am going back to STD these things no longer worry me
Roll on cheap insurance and a warrentee.
Bob
Old 11 June 2000, 09:58 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry off the topic a bit but after removing the cat as mentioned above does this mean that the car involved will not pass an MoT due to high CO emissions.

Presumably the cat removes nearly all the CO from exhaust gases so removing it will result in high CO levels and MoT failure. Or is the test not that rigorous?

I would like to replace the whole exhaust system but I would like to run the car for more than 3 years.

D.
Old 11 June 2000, 10:18 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

The car will not pass an MOT with no cats. Unless you can get an MOT down the pub it will be cats on MOT cats off await another year cats on MOT cats off. Hope your ok with the spanners or it could work out expensive.