Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 WRX Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 08:45 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got to take a Scooby WRX out yesterday so thought I would put my opinions down seeing as I am BMW driver at the momment.

The car in the flesh looks fantastic I did not realise but the 2004MY comes with painted sideskirts now the square lock at the back loks a bit naff. The seats are now the STi ones but in cloth.

Overall the interior was very good IMO in many ways as good as my 3 series only yhe cheap feeling centre vents let the side down really. Found it easy to get comfortable. My first little moan is the reverse gear I found that somewhat difficult to engage and I prefer it at the top left not the bottom right of the gearbox.

Also the turning circle was alot less much to my suprise of my 3 series but I suppose the RWD layout of the BMW means the front wheels turn in further.

Now onto the actual test drive...

First impressions are excellent I just drove it at part throttle at first jsut to get use to it and was impressed how easy it was to drive at a slower speed or in traffic. When time came to let rip OH MY GOD!! They really do fly traction is excellent seeinfg as it was damp in the same conditions the ASC would of been kicking in on and off up to third. The car just flys and it really does put a big grin on your face. You can feel the turbo lag though and I had the car in 5th at about 50mph and out of the turbo zone so no pull what so ever so gear selection is still important to keep the engine on the boil. My old 320d was the same contary to popular belife you still need the gearbox to make use of the torque multiplication effect and keep the car in the turbo zone. I felt the scooby was pretty much the same on that account.

Handling and ride was excellent not too hard and not too soft, slightly harder then my 3 series standard suspension but less roll in the corners and as for cornering grip well all I can say is awsome and no chance of getting the back end out unlike the 3 series. Yes the 3 series is more refined and overall build quality is lightly better, but as a package the WRX delivers allot more fun.

So my next task is going to be to order one and crack out a deal. I shall probably go for a new one just deciding when I want to take delivery probalbly March April.
Old 31 January 2004, 08:58 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I sorta know how you feel. Although I've driven classics on tracks a few years back, I only took delivery of my own on wednesday. More smiles per mile per pound than any other vehicle IMHO. May I suggest an opening gambit of around £18.5k and try for a few extras. I can strongly recommend the PPP to be fitted after the 1000 mile service. If you thought the standard car was awsome, ask for a go in a Prodrived version. It makes it the car it was always meant to be before Euro noise and emmisions regs (slightly) sterilised it. I haven't got them yet, but most recommend the Prodrive springs too and the jury's out on the quickshift. Just don't ask for the flaps

You should get your car in time for the National Big One (see Events) so we might all see you there
Old 31 January 2004, 11:33 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
i'd go Tec3.. get 290bhp then lol
lose warranty tho?!?

Old 31 January 2004, 11:46 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are you stalking me Phil ? LOL
Old 31 January 2004, 01:33 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy

Nice new blue car m8, saw the pics - it looks mint.

Cheers

Barney
Old 31 January 2004, 03:09 PM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

May consider the PPP pack but on my journey only get a few chances to really open the car up and even my 318 can shift and keep Mondeo man and boy racer at bay!!!( Induction kit helps)

Depends if I get the thirst for more power and speed at least I have time to make my mind up.
Old 31 January 2004, 07:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Barney, can't stop grinning . Will be out your way tomorrow. Probably have dinner at the Devonshire.

Are you ever gonna show your face at Buckles, there's one this monday. Although, there's a chance I mightn't be there. Family commitments

Dave.
Old 31 January 2004, 10:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

speak to ian at stan palmer subaru- some cracking deals at the mo and they're the best dealer in the UK without exception. will deliver to you FOC also

couldn't comment on the TEK as I have no idea what you're all talking about
Old 01 February 2004, 02:03 PM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Where is stan palmer located?

Don't mind going further tio get a better deal!!!
Old 01 February 2004, 02:27 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Dave

We had lunch at the Tennants Arms today - near Kilnsey Cragg - it's good food. Hope the Devonshire was OK. The nice wet roads have been good for a bit of fun today in the Dales, hit some dirt on one corner and the wife nearly peed herself.

I might have gone along to the Buckles but if you're not going I'll go next time as I've not spoken to anyone else that would be there.

Cheers,

Barney
Old 01 February 2004, 04:16 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Jezyg

Go for the PPP - you wont regret it!

Barney
Old 01 February 2004, 07:07 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Palmers are in Carlisle 01228 525051
Old 01 February 2004, 07:24 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Talking

will just add to some of your positive comments. I have had an MY04 model now for a few weeks. oh and if anyone is wondering why i have an 04 its an import, realesed before the UK models. My first impressions where similar to the ones you had posted. having driven the car now and been run in, i am even more impressed. i was on a tour on sat 31st with scottish civic type r forum. the road handling is second to none, feels very stable in the bends at high speed, i've had the back end out a couple of times but if you keep the power down it just seems to correct itself. having driven an i vtec for while it took a bit of getting used to the turbo. however mid range power is second to none it pulls strong from around 2800revs to around 5500revs. i was a little dissapointed after 6000revs as there aint much left, but suppose you cant have everything. the interior build quality is very good, feels well put together. the ride is smooth and quiet, not everyones cup of tea, but its a pleasure to drive. I have WR mica blue and as said its all colour coded now which really sets the car off.
i am very happy i purchased it, always wanted a scoob, and now that i have one i am not dissapointed.
PPP sounds a good bet, hopefully in the near future.

sorry if i bored anyone
Keevster
Old 01 February 2004, 07:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Barney, I might be at Buckles. Just waiting for a slack member of the family to let us know what we're doing. They'll all make you welcome anyway. Look out for a big guy called Andy (STi8 with silver OZ 'legs) and his wife Julie or a couple with an STi7 called Steve & Sophie, they'll look after you I'm sure. Have another look on here (this post) tomorrow lunchtime and I'll let you know if I'm coming.

The Devonshire was nice, but I'll give Tennants a try next time Roads were great today. The weather kept a lot of the Rovers at home, and only saw 2 Plods. Was fretting a bit over fuel as I planned to fill up with 'max at Poole Bank, but it's a bomb site and ended up at Harrogate I'll fill up before setting out next time.

I'll be popping a couple of piccys in the gallery later.

Dave.
Old 01 February 2004, 07:59 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Nice one Dave, I'll look at this post tomorrow - can you let me know how you attach piccy's as well.

I use Pool Bank as I go to the A1 alot and it's areal bummer that it's closed, infact I've got a very expensive tank of SUL in at the moment and for some reason tonight whilst letting a pal give the car a spin the engine sort of cut out for a second (when on full boost)and the Engine Management light stayed on for the rest of the journey. Went off when I started it up later on??

Strange.

Cheers,

barney
Old 01 February 2004, 09:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Barney, to post pics you 1st need to upload them onto someones webspace (or your own if you have some/know how to). I use Photobucket. Then you need to copy the url of the pic which look like
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803/davidwatsonok@yahoo.com/Subaru/Dales2.jpg
In a new thread in the gallery, paste the url between image tags like this,
[ img ] http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803/davidwatsonok@yahoo.com/Subaru/Dales2.jpg [ / img ]
Remove the spaces and it works like below

If unsure about this, or anything anyone does, it often helps to click the edit tab and figure it out.
Old 01 February 2004, 10:13 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

@ jezyg

your test drive experience sounds identical to mine (as im sure most are!). i came from FWD alfa 156, which i thought wasnt too shabby - but compared to the WRX its nowhere near.

my MY04 has just done 1200miles and had the first oil change, so now we're dancing! some road benchmarks and corners i had down to a tee with my 156 have been totaly blown away with the scoob - some are up by 30mph, and would probably go higher if i had the bottle!

but it can also be driven sedately - i have 2 youngs kids, so went for the wagon, its good as a family shopping trolley also.

the only thing my other half complains of is more road noise and neck ache from corners and acceleration ;-)

so go ahead and get one, it only gets better!
Old 02 February 2004, 08:22 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Well seeing as my wife has just blown allot more money on her dream car...a nearly new BMW 318Ci Cab she has relented and has not got a leg to stand on as I have always wanted a Scooby.

So just deciding when to go and order. The 03/04MY addresses the couple of dislikes like non painted side skirts/looks and OK fuel economy. Seeing as the 318Ci is only averaging 30mpg!!!

What does the radio soundlike? As that was the only thing I forgot to test. Being double Din at least it is easy to change if rubbish. Also is there wiring for the six disk autochanger already there like in a BMW?
Old 02 February 2004, 09:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Barney, I will be going to buckles. Probably getting there at about 8pm.