Sponsored by:

Bug eye V Classic

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 11:20 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm sure this has been asked before but any views/comments would be great.

I'm looking at gettin an impreza I've been after one for years (well since I was 19) and it's time to take the pludge!

But Insurance is not so great, can anyone tell me why the bug eyed is cheaper to insure than a classic and why a RB5 is cheaper than a standard classic?

Is it worth gettin a bug eyed (albeit if I can live with the uglyness)

Cheers

MKD
Old 30 January 2004, 11:31 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised that bugeyes are cheaper - they're group 19. Classics are 17.
Old 30 January 2004, 11:39 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

to be honest so am I but it's a difference of nearly £300 which is a fair bit really.

maybe it coz there are alot of "boy racers?" in classics now?
Old 30 January 2004, 11:41 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Classics look better IMHO.

Get more for your money with a classic (with it being older)

Bug eye is less risk (in terms of mainenance).

You pay your money....
Old 30 January 2004, 11:50 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

All i can say is drive them,i have had all the cars you are looking at ,Classic,RB5 WR and the most recent a Bugeye.

The Bugeye was by far the best car overall,it was just so well put together compared to the other 2 and although not class leading the fit and finnish was way better than the 2 previous cars i've owned.
You are right in what you say about the classic looking very dated now and now you can buy them from £3.5K the cruise scene boys are getting there hands on them and like the other great car the Sierra Cosworth when the prices fell the insurance went up because any pleb could buy one very cheap and wrap it round a tree.

If your budjet is good enough go for a 2nd hand Bugeye with some bells and whistles added by the previous owner you wont regret it at all.

Zippy
Old 30 January 2004, 02:21 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that ZIPPY

easy
Old 30 January 2004, 02:28 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Question

I've test drove both Classic and bugeyed, the bugeyed felt more solid if that makes sense?

What is a good price for a Bugeye? 2001 YM
Old 30 January 2004, 02:35 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i ve had both & now have a bugeye, choose it over an RB5.
althoug the classic imo looks better, they are just a bit dated. it really depends on your budget too, you for 9-10k you can get a very nice classic mate, with a few bits on, a std bugeye can be had at 12k but will be almost certainly be bog std with no bits on, they are not great to drive in std trim, i would recommend getting one with at least a back box & some morrettes.
drive both & see, i in the got my bugeye cos it felt so much more like a proper solid car if that makes sens, the interior is in a diff league to the classic too.
if my budget was about 12k i would get eitehr a modded my00 uk car or stretch a bit further for an rb5. imho bugeyes are harder to sell too as wrx 3's will soon be in the same 2nd hand price ballpark
Old 30 January 2004, 05:09 PM
VaTaNeN
Scooby Regular

Had a classic MY99 UK turbo (company car) from new and loved every minute of it, only added a few mods like exhaust, etc. Have been saving hard for a couple of years to get another scoob out of my own pocket and had a budget of around 11k. Could have had a kitted out classic, import, or RB5, but went for a bugeye.

I think the classics do look better but are beginning to look a little dated; as the new buy is gonna have to last a number of years, I went for a newer shape.

For what it’s worth the MY01 feels a better ride than my classic. There are bargains to be had with the bugeye’s if you look hard enough; looked at loads and eventually paid £10,300 for a minter, totally standard in WR Blue.
Old 30 January 2004, 05:15 PM
burnz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I wouldn't say the classics are looking "very dated", they still manage to turn heads and look alot better than alot of new cars out there including the bug eye.IMHO
Old 01 February 2004, 02:01 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I think I will most likely go for the classic, I know the Bugeyed is a better (more grown up) car, but it's just so damn ugly. Will just have to keep hunting for cheaper insurance as £912 a year is still abit too much
Old 01 February 2004, 02:20 AM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind me asking how old are you? as £912 a year doesn't sound too bad (I'm 32 with full no claims and am paying £720 for my 99MY UK classic)

You'll also definitely get a decent performance advantage going for a classic over a bugeye (Power/weight) - an extra £25 a month isn't that much is it?

For what its worth my best quotes were from Norwich Union Direct & Liverpool Victoria

Si
Old 01 February 2004, 12:44 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

the bugeye (as standard) has much better drivability in terms of cornering and less understeer than the classic. It'll typically be smoother and faster on a B-Road (in my opinion - I've owed both). HOWEVER, some folks like the raw unadulterated whoooooosh-bang of the classic which is really quite fun but not all that practical really! There are a few well documented things to look out for on MY98 scoobs and quite a lot of non-EU imports kicking around that may be on their last legs due to poor maintenance or wrong-sort-of-fuel being used.

bugeyes are cheap as chips as well. Not many documented problems with them either - the ugly duckling came good!

rd
Old 02 February 2004, 09:08 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

SWPT I'm 25 7 years NCB no points, the qoute is for a 00W Classic tracker, alarmed, garaged (and two big bodygaurds outside the garage lol). And limited to under 6k a year (second car)
Old 02 February 2004, 09:11 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry for the double post

[Edited by flatfourburble - 2/2/2004 9:16:20 AM]
Old 02 February 2004, 09:20 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

adpd

Get more for your money with a classic (with it being older)
Like what