Sponsored by:

Lane Straddling Lorries - WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 08:49 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What IS this about?

I got stuck in the outside of a dual carriageway 500 yds to my lane closing for roadworks.. fair enough.

Large truck in the outside lane going the same crawling speed as the inside, with 500 yds of clear road in fron of it and making NO attempt to fill up the empty road space that could be occupied by 50+ cars - annoyed? Ever so slightly, good job 'Mr Baseball bat' wasn't with me

He then pulls in 200 yds to go and sits in the middle stopping all traffic as he trundles behind the single queue in front. As soon as he's gone, all the traffic fill up the outside lane and makes exactly the same progress.

What did this prove exactly? That this t1t had a small brain?

I've seen this on motorways approaching lane closures at speed. Don't they realise that the jam behind has an end, travelling at their speed? It is still forcing cars to slow, still dangerous for cars travelling at speed approaching it.....

Someone.. please tell me why...
Old 31 January 2004, 01:05 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'll take that as a 'No' then?
Old 31 January 2004, 01:35 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

I suspect you know "why" really

It's due to the fact that, as a nation we are unable to excercise a simple "alternate lane merge" process - like a zipper.

Because of this you get a nonsense situation as above, where most folks blindly follow the lane closure signs, others (like yourself of course) attempt to maximise efficiency of lane usage, and some people are such selfish c***** that they drive up the clear lane and force their way in at the last minute 'cos they're too good / smart / cool / to wait in queues.

I suspect Mr Lorry Driver is attempting to be a Knight Of The Road - nautily abusing his weight and size advantage. Pretty daft drastic measure which attempts to address another daft situation.

Zipper method for me all the way......
Old 31 January 2004, 07:25 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Traffic should merge in turn when they see the signs for the closed off lane,which would let the traffic keep moving at a reasonable pace,however due to the poor driving standard in this country this doesn't happen, as too many a**holes drive right up to the cones and then usually force their way in causing the lane of traffic to come to a stop which has a knock on effect down the line causing huge tailbacks.
P.s your excuse for space for 50+ cars is a pretty poor and i suggest a read of the highway code and some advanced driving lessons

Old 31 January 2004, 07:54 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...
I'm all for what these truckers do, it seems to keep the traffic rolling.
Old 31 January 2004, 11:46 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

What I failed to mention is that 50 yds on from the lane closure was a set of lights. So traffic was stationary anyway.

The truck in question had to indicate whilst stationary as he waited some time for someone to let him in.

All he managed to do was move the lane closure 500 yads up the road where there were other lights at a main junction causing problem there too.

Don't get me wrong. As an advanced driver (with a less than perfect understanding of EVERY written driving rule) I can appreciate the 'zipper' effect of filtering before the cones.

In jams, I intentionally travel at a slow speed with a large gap in between my self and the car in fron, with the intention of keeping the traffic behind flowing.

Unfortunately, three cars back is the guy who doesn't appreciate this intent and drives up to the car and stops.

His sole tactic caused problems further back, and I suspect other drivers attempting this trick (including myself) don't make any measurable difference to the traffic flow, due to the poor driving of people behind.

But leaving such a large unused peice of valuable space meant that his attempt achieved nothing. As it does everywhere else.
Old 01 February 2004, 12:30 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The truck in question had to indicate
OMG a truck that indicates, next you will be telling us that little green men live on mars

Actually that was a little harsh, Truck Drivers DO indicate, but usually 'after' they have already pulled out into the lane you are in

Old 01 February 2004, 12:42 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

I am for the trucker it stops to$$ers from overtaking people paicently sitting in a que then pushing in at the last minute. Someone did this to me the other day and I tell you now he very nearly ended up through the cones after all if you choose to ignore 800 yards of warning signs to move over you have to accept the consequences!!!!
Old 01 February 2004, 12:57 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
to stop **** holes from cutting in at the last minute and making the q longer

still dangerous for cars travelling at speed approaching it.....
fekin slow down then

if u leave the lane open u get all the **** holes coming down the out side thinkin there can cut in at the last minute,and then the inside lane doent move.

when it says 400yrds 600yrds get your **** over simple realy

*Sonic*
dont start m8 just think everything in your house and garage has be on a wagon at some time

the best thing is when i indicate to turn left into a tight gate and i swing out to the right u always get some smart **** that wants to under take u,funny a fek when they see the cab start to turn left

[Edited by scooby-si - 2/1/2004 1:02:01 AM]

[Edited by scooby-si - 2/1/2004 1:07:42 AM]
Old 01 February 2004, 01:09 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
never pick on wagon drivers u will always lose
Old 01 February 2004, 01:18 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

I know mate

its like most drivers on the road, just you notice it more in wagons, cos they are so big, (some wagon drivers are good, but most arent that I have seen) and can crush cars very easily, I once had a wagon driver tell me he would purposely ram anyone into a central resevation/wall etc to stop them from overtaking him, when approaching a lane closure

i used to drive them myself on opencast mines (before I needed a license)

Old 01 February 2004, 01:23 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

best laugh is when i worked for a irish company(no limiter) fek me u should see cars move out of the middle lane when u come fling up there backside at speed

[Edited by scooby-si - 2/1/2004 1:23:42 AM]
Old 01 February 2004, 01:26 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL I know what you mean, I once had a coach (definatly not limited) keeping up with me on the A34 from congleton heading to Monks Heath, it was quite scary, glad he was behind and not in front tho

When I was on the opencast mines, winter was scary with trucks bigger than houses, sliding sideways down a 200 foot 45 degree decline int eh snow & ice !