Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Oh, so many questions....

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2000, 12:03 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autofirst insured my MY94 type RA on the chassis number.
0181 939 3929.
6yr NCB
SP50
27yo
Garage
Thatch cat 1
£960

Worth doing, as travelling without really is asking for it.

You'll need evidence of you having used the car abroad, so take photo's of you and the motor near a someone in Dutch national costume, and get receipts receipts for petrol etc. Foreign de-registration certificates will be required also.

I agree with Marcus there, you will need to declare it, and customs can choose how long they take to clear it.

This is just to the BOMK, I'm no expert on importing, but I hope all goes well for you.

Every time I get home I give my Scooby a cuddle.

Old 06 June 2000, 12:34 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

A-Plan arranged cover on my STis chassis number. 0845 0711234 ask for Lee.
They were the cheapest but Keith Michaels were very close.
The DVLA have reasonable web sites, try starting from :
Old 06 June 2000, 09:24 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Having heard at the weekend that my new Scoob will be ready to pick up at the beginning of July, I have some questions.

Firstly, insurance. After ringing around, it seems that hardly anyone is willing to touch an import before it gets to the UK. I don't particularly wish to drive uninsured, or insured third party only (which I can get from the dealer), 'cause you know that sods law dictates that it will get pranged!!!

Can anybody recommend an insurance company that will <B> definitely </B> insure me on the chassis number, full comp from Holland to the UK.

Also, the dealer reckons that the transit plates should not be used in Belgium or France, but surely as they are EU plates, and I can drive through the UK with them, they are equally valid in any EU country??? Does anybody have a definitive answer on this??

Do I need to declare the car to HM Customs at point of entry, will DVLA do it when I register the car?

I'm sure there are more, but they don't spring to mind at the mo.

Hopefully you fine chaps will be able to help me.

Yours hopefully and rather excitedly at the prospect of his new car,

Geezer
Old 06 June 2000, 09:33 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Great News Geezer!

Insurance (sorry I don't know about the driving abroad)
These guys DEFINATELY insure on the chassis number though...
Keith Michaels - 0208 642 7868 - They were the best price I could find as well.

Sorry, no idea on the other stuff

Cheers

Simon
Old 06 June 2000, 11:10 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Geezer:
Admiral, whom I'm with and have been for a few years (with other cars) were more than happy to insure my 94 WRX Wagon on just it's chassis number, so they might be worth a try.

I believe that YOU need to declare the car to HM customs, I seem to recall that you get some kind of recipt from HM customs which needs to be given to DVLA so that they can register (anyone wish to correct me?)

Old 06 June 2000, 03:14 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I knew you'd come up with the good you lovely boys!!!!!

So far, three companies have agreed to do the biz.

Keith Michaels are the cheapest so far, and the policy is for full European cover, no green car needed!

Cheers, keep 'em coming

Geezer
Old 06 June 2000, 06:24 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

I found Barclays the cheapest and the most flexible. Although they're actually Privilege in disguise, I got a cheaper price, flat rate of £100 excess, unlimited hi-fi cover and free total track day insurance. And (back to your original question) they covered me on the chassis number all the way from Holland. I did the Hook v. Holland -> Harwich route, which was relaxed and smooth and fairly quick.

Cheers
Richard
Old 07 June 2000, 11:18 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Question

OK, I'v got it all sorted now but for the driving back from Holland bit. No one seems to be able to tell me if I can drive thru Belgium and France on these transit plates. I would prefer to come back with Hoverspeed from Calais than the Hook of Holland.

I know some of the people on the BBS came back that way, so what did they do?

Geezer
Old 07 June 2000, 12:22 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hyperformance were the best for me:
27 years old, full no claims, three points, £1012 with no claims protection and paying by 8 monthly installments and it was on the chasis number
Phone 0181 6939 3944 speak to Wilf

Cheers and good luck
Simon
Old 07 June 2000, 12:39 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

My insurance coverred mine in Jan (NFU) but I hear they wont now .Local bod bought one last month and direct line covered it.
When you reach UK you are allowed to drive the car to your home , or home Via VROffice
take all your paperwork , Certificate of conformity , dealer bill ,poof of driving it home yourself (fuel reciept ferry ticket, hotel bill etc) insurance cover note ,cheque for £180 to your local VRO .they should process the papers over night ask to collect them rather than have them posted . Collect Your tax disc , make some plates to match, get home to your virgin car . screw its plates on , stick its disc on , ring your insurance with new number . drive off with smug expression on face Vat bill will arrive after a couple of weeks ( VRO send your details to customs ) job done
Old 07 June 2000, 10:06 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

geezer,
i was asked where i was going from by the dealer(they have to notify the licence dept when they get the plates) i said hoek of holland to hull,but actually came back rotterdam/hull (basically same place) with no problems, i originally asked about leaving from zeebrugge in belgium,but they were having none of it, as the licence(plates) is only a temporary one which kind of covers their road tax,and other bits and bobs,for 7 days,and if u are caught in another country you are basically running without road tax etc,so are illegal. they also said that uk customs may give u grief if u bring the car in from another country,but if u had bought in germany you would have had the option of france,holland or belgium,so basically all of the above doesnt make sense....

i hope this helps

regards
D
Old 07 June 2000, 11:18 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

I drove back through Belgium and France to Calais , never gave it a second thought and I supose if there was a problem with doing so I got away with it ! I would have thought as long as you have insurance and registration in a member state ,be it only temporary you should be ok , how could you drive back from Italy ? sure would be an expensive ferry ! don't know who to ask though for certain
Ian
Old 08 June 2000, 08:53 AM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Hopefully I can clear this up once and for all thanks to the RAC legal advice help line. I knoe I have already told you this offline Geezer but for the benefit of others I quote:

'The plates are provided for the transit of your car from place of purchse to home addess. The vehicle must not be used for any other purpose with these plates on. There is no restriction, all EU countries allow these plates.'

Basically they said your car is totally legal with these things on but remember to have all your paperwork with you incase some pedantic French/Beglian jobsworth pulls you over.