Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often are you suppose to wax a car?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2004, 03:06 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as the title says,I sometimes do mine every 3-4 weeks and wash her every 2 days! Feckin BrItIsH weather!I know its suppose to take a layer of paint off every wax so can you shine her too much? ?
Old 07 January 2004, 03:18 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

you`re not using T-cut as a 'wax' are you? lol

To my limited knowledge, wax leaves a coating on the paint, it doesn`t take a layer off
Old 07 January 2004, 03:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I concur, unless you are polishing so hard that you actually take the wax back off again and then start wearing the paint away through friction!
Old 07 January 2004, 03:29 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

OK my bad, So how long should the intervals be for waxin with a quility polish(maguires)
Old 07 January 2004, 04:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Polishes usually state on them how often it should be done. You want to avoid doing it too frequently otherwise you will build up a layer of wax which in itself can then make the car look worse. The idea is to have a thin layer to protect and provide shine. Either that or you need to wash the car very thorougly first to wash off any residue from the previous waxing before re-applying
Old 07 January 2004, 04:33 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

How long is a piece of string, but please dont polish, you will bugger up the paint on your car, all polishes are abrasive to some degree (thats what a polish does). Glaze it instead, see some of the other posts on this subject. Glazing will not damage your paint. One other good tip is where perhaps your shampoo says two cap fulls most people add a bit more. Wrong add less and this will help prevent you from washing the wax off you put on before. Swissol and Zymol make shampoos which dont remove your wax (or glaze).
STEVE...................................

[Edited by r32 - 1/7/2004 4:34:41 PM]
Old 07 January 2004, 04:56 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

is there is difference to WAX thna Auto GLYM's SUPER RESIN POLISH?
if so, which is better
Old 07 January 2004, 05:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
use a quality carnuba waz and you dont have to polish the car for ages. I havnt done mine for 12 months and it still looks great when you clean it. I had mine waxed with a teflon and carnuba wax by Mark Underwood, aka the wax wizard. Polishes such as autoglym have solvents in them, which is why the rags you use change colour as they are stripping some of your paint pigment out of the paint.

Old 07 January 2004, 05:17 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Pretty confusing when some people say you should wax and some say glaze. Whats the difference? I havent found any threads on glazing (apart from ones about the double variety!). Would be interested to know which one is the best as I like to keep mine nice and clean too

J
Old 07 January 2004, 06:03 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

got any names or links to site with some glazes on please?

Cheers,

andy
Old 07 January 2004, 06:09 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check this addy out.....

http://www.performanceparts4u.co.uk/default.asp

Detailed instructions for Swissol..... any questions give Paul a ring he will run through it with you.

Simon
Old 07 January 2004, 07:30 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

I use Meguiars, and i did the full 3 steps about 4 months ago, and when it rains the water still "beads" off. And i wash it about once a week. As soon as the beading starts to stop, I'll do it again.
Old 07 January 2004, 09:24 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

I wash mine once a week. When i bought the car, the paint was dull and very rough - speckly - to the touch. So i spent a whole weekend with a claybar, and the meguires products and an orbital polishing machine. 1st used the paint cleaner, then polish then carnauba wax. that was 3 months ago, and i waxed it again last sunday, because i was bored and thought i might make it shine a bit more, not cos the water had stopped beading. ( it didn't shine more either)
a lot of polishes do contain solvents because its the only way they can cut through the road grime, so you think its doing a good job - even the meguires one does that, you can feel how squeeky the paint goes after using it, so it cant be all that good for it. I used it once just to prepare the paintwork for a decent waxing. I'll contemplate using a glaze before it needs waxing again, as the paintwork is pretty much already prepped under the wax.

3M make a handglaze that seems quite popular.

/2ob
Old 07 January 2004, 09:27 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Never ever waxed a car - why?
Old 07 January 2004, 11:00 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Pure carnauba is like concrete so virtually all waxes contain some sort of solvent or mineral spirits that I know of to make them usable.
Old 08 January 2004, 07:08 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

There is a huge difference between polish and glaze.
A polish does exactly that, it polishes the surfaces of your paint. Its like different grades of wet and dry, the finer the grade the smoother and more shiny the surface looks. All polishes contain clay, thats what the white residue is that you get left with. These clays contain waxes or resins that remain in small amounts on the surface. The finer the clay the less abrasive and the the finer the scratches in the piant, check the surface out with a good magnifying glass. So when you get polish left on grained plastic the white stuff is the clay.
Now a glaze which can contain more than 55% pure waxes are added to the surface, they are non abrasive and do not affect the paint finish. Its like adding a varnish to make a surface shine. Theses waxes are expensive but then again so was your car so try the proper glazes from Swissol or Zymol you will be amazed at the finish. If you do it properly you will not get the swirls in the paint that you see on 99.9% of cars.
Dont knock it if you havent tried it.........
Old 08 January 2004, 09:50 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used some fancy turtle wax, traditional hard wax in a tin. Works very well and a cheaper alternative to the swissols etc. but would agree that a wax gives better longer lasting results that resins such as most liquid polishs (Mer, colour magic etc).

Paul
Old 08 January 2004, 11:40 AM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Generally speaking Pavlo you are correct. A liquid carnauba wax will have a lesser amount of actual carnauba due to the fact it needs to remain a liquid. Doesn't mean it won't work as well or give as good a finish but, it might just not have such long lasting protection as a paste equivelent. On the flipside though, people who clean/ detail their cars regularly won't have to be to concerned about durability as a new coat will be applied before the previous one wears off. The liquid 'polishes' you mention both probably have some sort of abrasives in them as they are a one step product, compared with the paste 'wax', which will have no abrasives and is best used as the last procedure after using a polish or glaze, or on its own.

[Edited by Alex Creasey - 1/8/2004 11:52:07 AM]
Old 08 January 2004, 12:03 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Lets cut to the chase then. Wax or Glaze?

J