Sponsored by:

Women drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 08:45 PM
Chimp-Choker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well, I thought it was too good to last.

Washed my 4 week old MY03 WRX today in the sun and marvelled that I'd avoided any scratches and dings for so long. Went out tonight to my folks house and parked outside. 2 hours later the doorbell goes, "Is this your car outside? I think I might have reversed into it."

I took a very deep breath and went out with a torch and had a look. Fortunately (?), she'd only hit the rear bumper but there's a large scuff mark on it that looks like it's gone through the paint, I'll have a look at it in the morning.

So, the question is, does anybody have a rough idea what a new bumper will cost as I don't fancy a respray. At least her insurance will take a hammering.

So how about, instead of getting Top Gear to change their mind about Scoobys, we get manufacturers to lock off the reverse gear when a female driver is detected?

I wouldn't normally, slag off women in this way but this is my fourth car and the last three have all been reversed into by women coming off their drives!

Stomps off for a cry..............
Old 27 December 2003, 08:54 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thinks...........

Stop parking opposite peoples drives!

Sympathy with you though M8 - my last Subaru was hit from behind by a women driver as she tried to beat the lights at roadworks - unfortunately she hadn't noticed that the traffic going through the roadworks had stopped due to a learner driver having some problems negotiating the lane changes!!!!

Den
Old 27 December 2003, 09:23 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

If you get a new bumper, the paint shop will only spray it to suit the colour of your car anyway!

They come primed and thats it!
Old 27 December 2003, 11:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Exclamation

youre lucky she knocked on your door and told you, 9 times out of 10 they would have pi55ed off.

Granted it shouldnt have happened in the first place, but it did and top marks for her letting you know.
Old 27 December 2003, 11:39 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I agree, you are very lucky she owned up to it. Accidents do happen, people who own up to them deserve some respect. (Was she nice, and did you get her phone number )
Old 28 December 2003, 12:39 AM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

you are one lucky man and i agree that the chances were 9 out of 10 would drivers would have pissed off at half the chance. she did the right thing in telling you!

c'mon mate, although i sympathize you, you don't need a new bumper it's just a minor paint job that a good bodyshop will be able to handle. take it back to subaru and get them to do it since they will have the colour match and also it'll be on her her insurance. i know from experience how you must feel over a new car as i had my bumper resprayed back and back light replaced back in April after a similar situation. there's nowt wrong with my resprayed bumper and it was as they say 'as good as new'

good luck!
Old 28 December 2003, 01:17 AM
Mr.M
Scooby Regular

Cost me about £280 for a respray when somebody hit me and did a runner.
Old 28 December 2003, 01:17 AM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Feel for you mate. Some dozy mare whilst reversing out of a parking space with approx 3ft between our cars still managed to scrape all down the offside of my STi7 last week. What I couldn't understand was why did she keep going after the initial contact!
Old 28 December 2003, 09:25 AM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Woman next door to me reversed straight into my parked Yamaha Fazer on a clear morning A1 visibility. She could even see the bike as she stepped out of her front door IF she had looked 5 metres!!
They cannot be trusted.
Old 28 December 2003, 09:48 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
hitting th rear of the car might be more expensive than you think, i had someone hit the back of me in a car park wasnt fast at all and took a foot of paint off the car bumber was due to be painted due to me doing a similar thing earlier so i said to the bloke it was ok, after the bumper was sprayed and on the car turns out its out of line now so i now have to pay to get lined up as when he hit me hes pushed the bumper in a bit more than they are meant to go
Old 28 December 2003, 04:15 PM
Chimp-Choker
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, I've calmed down a bit since then.

I've taken a good look at it and it looks like she hit the side of the rear bumper and has scratched the paint for an area about a foot square and pushed the wing in about a quarter of an inch at the very bottom corner.

I think it'll have to go back to the dealers for a perfect job.

Old 28 December 2003, 04:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Most main Dealers don't do body repairs...they'll just send it to the same lot that tart them up before they go on the forcourt. (just my 2 pence)
Old 28 December 2003, 05:55 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Don't go soft on her, get it repaired to your (high) standard and send her a big bill. The more she has to pay, the more she'll think before blindly reversing into something.
Old 28 December 2003, 06:57 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I was quoted £150 +vat for a rear bumper respray after a similiar incident. I ended up using chipsaway for £60 which included removing 2 door dings. I wished i'd paid the the £150 +vat, the spray repair is ****e and the dings are still visible [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I suppose you get what you pay for

[Edited by austen_wrx - 12/28/2003 6:57:57 PM]
Old 29 December 2003, 12:13 PM
Flannel
Scooby Newbie

I had the same thing happen the day I picked the car up from new, though it was a bloke not a woman. I had the bumper replaced which cost his insurance company just over a grand after it had been sprayed up and fitted.
Old 29 December 2003, 02:06 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

New bumper including painting up cost me a bit over £400 from a main dealer 4/12 ago