ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I 'crashed' this morning

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2003, 07:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Going to work 6 am this morning, wet conditions. My usual route up to the M1, took a roundabout at my usual wet speed, very slow and well within the limit. Lost it halfway round on a right turn and couldnt get it back. Seems like I had no grip what-so-ever. Then back end lifted around and i was going around the roundabout with the front 2 wheels on the grass (hopped the 6 inch kerb) and finally came to a halt. As i was coming to a stop noticed the chevron type sign flash in front of me mere inches in front of the car.

Engine cut out, restarted and pulled over only to find not one bit of damage to the car, nothing.

Checked the tyres etc and can only assume there was a diesel spill on the road as tyres in A1 condition, and its a roundabout im very very familiar with. Cant remember 'lifting off' the gas or braking at the point of oversteer either.

Just to say again i wasnt speeding over the limit or over the 'advisable' speed for the conditions (much lower), nor was it icy.

Be careful out there!
Old 26 December 2003, 08:09 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I alwyas think to myself when approaching bends I 'know well' ... Thinking that I wouldn't know about crashes around that corner/oil spills etc until it's too late !! As you say , this can happen when driving 'sensibly' , and that is when it usually happens ...... When you least expect it !!

Glad to hear you and the car are ok though mate.

Nate.
Old 26 December 2003, 08:31 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Sounds like diesel m8, when you ride a bike your always looking for the rainbow slick on roundabouts. Normally to the left of the road where trucks and vans with LH fillers overfill to get that extra mile.

Dipster
Old 26 December 2003, 08:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Me and my dad once slipped on cooking oil of all things!
Old 26 December 2003, 09:04 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
prolly diesel. with the garages shutting for one day at most, the owners of lorries fill em to the brim and then spend the first 20 miles sloshing it everywhere
Old 26 December 2003, 09:25 PM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

Nothing like it for waking you up in the morning eh?

I had a 180 in my Alpina at the bridge of Dee roundabout in Aberdeen. I wasn't going fast and it took me by surprise. Lots of traffic about I could just imagine all the comments about BMW drivers. Didn't hit anything so I sorted myself out and I noticed the sheen on the road.
How do bikers survive at all?
Old 26 December 2003, 09:48 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

That's not a crash! I'd be more worried about your engine cutting out. You didn't just stall it did you?
Old 26 December 2003, 10:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
No i didnt stall it. Id say its a fuel cut off as i did hit the kerb quite hard
Old 26 December 2003, 10:22 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

glad your motor is ok

I hit a bend tonight, very slow but in the wet and kerbed my rear passenger wheel.

Gutted, but such is life and its only a wheel

Phil
Old 26 December 2003, 11:17 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I lost grip on a roundabout on the way back from leeds and curbed the wheel very bad, i was happy i didn't hurt anyone else as the roundabout was packed, the feeling of losing grip is BAAD.
I was also doing very safe speeds and it was under wet conditions i thought it was something wrong with the car due to me only having bought it a few weeks earlier... didn't check for any oil spilage on the road or anything... its been fine since so i assume it was some sort of spilage...

MadGrip, hope you get your wheel sorted mate and its good to know you didn't dent yourself in the process i had to wait 2months!!! to get mine back on the road
Old 27 December 2003, 04:00 PM
99scoob
Scooby Newbie

16VMARC HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW IT WAS COOKING OIL!!
Old 27 December 2003, 06:48 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Diesel is the worst for this type of thing,i was approaching a roundabout earlier when heard ambulance sirens a few cars back...i had to shufty round the island to give it some room when whoah, back end right round (20mph-ish) all my 'practice' on the snow paid off though and i steered into it quick as a flash back road at 60mph though and it would have been another story