Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any horror stories for jdm sti7/8?? warranties question

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 05:35 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am venturing into the unkown, and pretty sure im gonna go for an almost new jdm sti 8, twin scroll turbo, dccd, rear winscreen wiper, bbs alloys, and some other toys if possible. However most of them being sold without a warranty, i am aware you can buy one, but i just wondered has anyone gone this route and had any major problems? or has anyone bought one and had any problems full stop?

What about the warranties you can buy, to much small print imho, so if anyone has used a good one, can you let me know, also which companies to avoid, i beleive warranty holding are not to good.

The insurance is not much different, only 100 pounds more than my01 uk wrx, so i dont mind about that. Anything else to look out for when buying something like this, from experience of course?

thanks
Old 19 December 2003, 06:42 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 20 December 2003, 12:00 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 20 December 2003, 01:03 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Small point, but possibly significant Jason. Japanese STi8's are 2002 model year cars (i.e. bugeyes), and don't have the twin scroll turbocharger and equal length exhaust manifolds.

The 2003 car with the new face and the twin scroll is the STi9.
Old 20 December 2003, 01:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Actually Grease, I believe that the MY03 STi (STi 8) in JDM spec did indeed have the Twin Scroll but not the DCCD. I think the Spec C has the DCCD but not the "normal" JDM STi. Bear in mind that the STi "8"/MY03 was available from September 2002 (ish).

To answer the question, from all the people I know who have bought 3rd party warranties, most of them seem to vary between not worth the paper they are written on to slightly useless. There *may* be good ones out there but I don't know anyone who has had one.

Put a post up asking for people's experiences of 3rd party warranty claims to see if you can get an idea....

Matt
Old 20 December 2003, 01:28 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

P.S. I think the STi 9 is being given to the USDM STi 2.5 which is of course an MY03 (and will be the MY04 too I presume). Presumably, the MY04 JDM and UK STi's will continue to be called the STi 8 unless they make any changes to it.....

Confused?

Matt
Old 20 December 2003, 10:17 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

I have seen what i thought was sti8 my02 and my03 both had twin scroll turbo and dccd, but i think the dccd was a dealer option so not all of them have it, thanks for the replies, any more info welcome
Old 20 December 2003, 11:07 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Actually Grease, I believe that the MY03 STi (STi 8) in JDM spec did indeed have the Twin Scroll but not the DCCD. I think the Spec C has the DCCD but not the "normal" JDM STi. Bear in mind that the STi "8"/MY03 was available from September 2002 (ish).
This sort of thread always results in confusion, and it's pedantic to a certain degree seeing as Subaru themselves don't officially give the cars a number.

However, if we're going to follow the unofficial lineage that was established by the old shape STi's (and that is also used by Prodrive when describing the rallycars) the original (2001MY) bugeye STi was the 7, the 2002MY was the 8 and the 2003 (the first blobeye) is the STi9, not an 8.

I think the STi 9 is being given to the USDM STi 2.5 which is of course an MY03 (and will be the MY04 too I presume).
Confusingly, this car has been referred to in Subaru USA's marketing as an MY04 since it was released!

Presumably, the MY04 JDM and UK STi's will continue to be called the STi 8 unless they make any changes to it.....
See above for the JDM cars. As for the UK blobeye STi's being referred to as STi8, that's probably a mistake, as the first UK STi seems to have become known in Scoobynet lore as an STi7, when, as a 2002MY car, it's theoretically an 8, while the 03 car is a 9.

However, all this is in the realms of pedantry, as the UK/Euro and Japanese spec cars are sufficiently different in specification that there's little point trying to lump them together under a common number, and while the Japanese spec cars are still used for motorsport homologation purposes (one of the original reasons behind the numbering system), the UK/Euro cars aren't.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 12/20/2003 11:20:32 AM]
Old 20 December 2003, 11:33 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

No

The model number is does not directly follow year It indicates a model change. So the MY00 STi 6 was the last of the old shape, the new shape MY01 JDM STi was the STi 7 (released in Sept 2000 remember ), the MY02 UK STi was also the STi 7 (as it was just the EU/UK/Rest of World model the same as (pretty much) the MY01 and MY02 JDM STi) and this was released in Sept 2001. Therefore, the MY03 and MY04 STi for both JDM and UK is the STi 8 but the MY03 and MY04 USDM STi is the STi 9 (due to being the newer model).

Now, think how confusing it could become if Subaru release the 2.5 STi in Japan say in 2005 alongside the existing model. Then we could have MY2005 JDM STi 8's AND MY2005 JDM STi 9's

Perhaps a simpler way of looking at it is:

Old Shape = STi 6 (and older) - MY00 (Sept 1999 to Sept 2000)
Bugeye = STi 7 (JDM) - MY01 (Sept 2000 to Sept 2001)
Bugeye = STi 7 (JDM and UK/EU/ROW) - MY02 (Sept 2001 to Sept 2002)
Blobeye = STi 8 (JDM and UK/EU/ROW) - MY03 (Sept 2002 to ?)
BlobeyeUS = STi 9 (USDM) - MY03 (roughly Xmas 2002/3 to ?)

Hows that?

Matt
Old 20 December 2003, 11:35 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

P.S. Just to make things more tricky, the options list for the JDM cars is very extensive so cool things like the DCCD can be specced for a "normal" STi. This has always been the case and has caused a lot of confusion in the past!!

Matt
Old 20 December 2003, 12:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The model number is does not directly follow year
Really?
STi6=MY00
STi5=MY99
STi4=MY98
STi3=MY97
STi2=MY96
I thought you said the STi model number didn't follow the model year?

It indicates a model change.
Not. It was originally used to demark a new (Japanese market) homologation special. Since Subaru stopped using it officially, it has meant (to a certain extent) whatever people want it to mean. Just because it's commonly said/repeated on Scoobynet, it ain't necessarily correct. Trying to lump the 2001 and 2002 model year STi's in as the same number isn't really logical.

So the MY00 STi 6 was the last of the old shape, the new shape MY01 JDM STi was the STi 7 (released in Sept 2000 remember )
I know when the model years are refreshed Matt.

the MY02 UK STi was also the STi 7
Who says? Can you find something on Subaru's website (UK or Japanese) that mentions this? The only thing you'll find on Subaru UK's website is that this car is called the Impreza WRX STi Type UK. There's no mention of a "number" one way or the other.

(as it was just the EU/UK/Rest of World model the same as (pretty much) the MY01 and MY02 JDM STi)
Are you saying that there are no differences between the MY01 and MY02 Japanese specification STi's? There was a new model introduced for homologation purposes in the 2002 model year, and thus there is a definite difference between them.

Now, think how confusing it could become if Subaru release the 2.5 STi in Japan say in 2005 alongside the existing model. Then we could have MY2005 JDM STi 8's AND MY2005 JDM STi 9's
Why are you equating the engine size with a certain "number"? This insistence on giving "numbers" when Subaru don't officially use them anymore causes more confusion than it solves.

Perhaps a simpler way of looking at it is:
Old Shape = STi 6 (and older) - MY00 (Sept 1999 to Sept 2000)
Bugeye = STi 7 (JDM) - MY01 (Sept 2000 to Sept 2001)
Bugeye = STi 7 (JDM and UK/EU/ROW) - MY02 (Sept 2001 to Sept 2002)
Blobeye = STi 8 (JDM and UK/EU/ROW) - MY03 (Sept 2002 to ?)
BlobeyeUS = STi 9 (USDM) - MY03 (roughly Xmas 2002/3 to ?)
Hows that?
Load of bollocks! What is the logic behind the claim that the Blobeye USDM MY03 STi is a 9 while the Japanese market equivalent, produced on the same lines, at the same time, and with the same general specification, bar engine displacement, is an 8?

BTW, if you think the Japanese market MY03 Blobeye is an STi8, why do Prodrive refer to the Group N rallycars as the N9's (and, come to that, the 2003 WRC's as S9's)?
Old 20 December 2003, 05:59 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

STi 7 Bugeyes - UK small headports, JDM Same but big Headports.
STi 8 New Headlights - UK /Euro small headports, VF35
- JDM Fitted With STi9 Enginenad other bits

Simplified.

US Market refers to there STi 2.5 as MY04 for some reason.

Old 20 December 2003, 08:54 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

err thanks for the hijacking i dont mind if its educational though, so what about my original questions?
Old 21 December 2003, 02:30 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Grease,
It was originally used to demark a new (Japanese market) homologation special. Since Subaru stopped using it officially, it has meant (to a certain extent) whatever people want it to mean
You know what - I think you're right. Upon further thought, provoked by your well put together argument, I'm going to back down and agree you are right (ouch ). I guess it's just that calling a particular car by model year and market is not as easy as the old "STi x" system.....However():
What is the logic behind the claim that the Blobeye USDM MY03 STi is a 9 while the Japanese market equivalent, produced on the same lines, at the same time, and with the same general specification, bar engine displacement, is an 8?
I'm fairly certain that in fact the "STi 9" (i.e. the USDM STi 2.5 Litre) (), is quite different from the previous STi's due to fly by wire throttle, twin ECU's, different inlet manifold and possibly some other stuff so perhaps the "STi 9" overly-simplified designation () is reasonable in this case because of this? Anyway, like I said, I'm outta here, I lost, the better man won

Matt
Old 21 December 2003, 02:34 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

P.S. Jason, sorry to take your thread off on a tangent!! I see you've had a little success with your new more specific thread. Hope you can get a few more responses. You could also try posting a thread like that on 22B.com as there is some good experience on there that may not see your thread on here.....

Matt
Old 21 December 2003, 06:01 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I guess it's just that calling a particular car by model year and market is not as easy as the old "STi x" system.....
Of course. Unfortunately though, times have changed, and the old numbering system that was established by the Japanese market cars simply doesn't apply now STi's (with greatly differing specification) are sold throughout the world. Subaru have stopped using numbers officially, and the sooner the rest of the world (i.e. Scoobynet! ) stops as well, the clearer the situation will be.

To my mind, the only market where the numbering system still has any sort of logic is Japan, which is the only market where it was officially used, and the only market where there's still a clear technical progression in the cars.

I'm fairly certain that in fact the "STi 9" (i.e. the USDM STi 2.5 Litre) (), is quite different from the previous STi's due to fly by wire throttle, twin ECU's, different inlet manifold and possibly some other stuff so perhaps the "STi 9" overly-simplified designation () is reasonable in this case because of this?
You're right, this car is different, but it's meant for a different market, and I'm merely saying that it isn't really justifiable trying to fit it into the Japanese market numbering hierarchy.

To illustrate the problem with the "number" system, if you're going to refer to the 2003 JDM STi as the "8", and the the USDM 2.5 as the "9" because it has a bigger engine, better throttling and other changes, what would you call the next Japanese STi if it kept the 2.0 litre engine, but had 400bhp, electronic throttle, anti-lag, an electro-hydraulic semi-automatic gearbox, and ATD differentials?

Would you call it an STi9 as well, despite it having more "new" bits than the USDM car? Would you call it an STi8.75, because it's got a smaller engine than the US "STi9", or would you call it an STi10 because of its higher power output and sophisticated transmission?

You could just as easily call the USDM 2.5 an STi1, as it's the first STi for the US market, while the 2003 UK STi would be an STi2, as it's the second STi designed for over here. Thus, you've created a situation where "our" STi2 has a higher number while being unquestionably inferior to the USDM "STi1"!

Sooner or later you've got to mention that they're different cars intended for different markets, and once you've bought into that concept, there's no need to try and lump them all together under a common numbering scheme.

Anyway, like I said, I'm outta here, I lost, the better man won
On the contrary, nobody lost (well, apart from Jason, sorry for the hijack ), and everybody won. Perfect example of how folk can disagree, and discuss, without descending into argument. We've both learned something, and hopefully so has everyone else who's been reading.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 12/21/2003 6:05:13 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 06:21 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

constructive argument, i dont mind, was worth reading anyway
Old 21 December 2003, 06:46 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Hmm, well I will always describe my old shed as a black, fugly STi
Old 22 December 2003, 08:42 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep,

New "official Scoobynet" naming scheme from here on in then....

Old Shape (pre MY01)
Fugley bugeye (MY01/02)
Fugley Blobeye (MY03 on)

(nice and technical )

Matt
Old 22 December 2003, 10:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
The Crock (pre MY01)
Fugley Bugeye (MY01/02)
Fugley Blobeye (MY03 on)

Much better.
Old 22 December 2003, 01:59 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Nice of everyone to help the man out.......NOT.

The only experience I have is with WWW.DHcars.co.uk.

Give them a call or have a look on their site. They sell Jap import STi whatevers brand new and second hand and they come with 3 year warrantys
Old 22 December 2003, 06:28 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

We did out best. The best I can do is see Jasonead here (and please help him)[/url]

Matt