Sponsored by:

Carjackers on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2003, 10:41 AM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I watched a program on video last night (don’t know what it was called) – it was on TV the other night, where a group of ppl broke into houses and demanded the keys for the performance cars they had. They were using guns (fake ones but still we wouldn’t know that).

It has made me think a lot more seriously about security on my car!! I think I will be getting a Clifford now with Blackjax.

Is there another thread about this program? Surely there must be cause half the cars stolen were our beloved Scoobs!!

How could you stop these scum from getting in your house – stealing your car? One of the cars on the program (a BMW) wouldn’t start so they forced him to start it – there would be no way round this!!

Nick
Old 11 December 2003, 10:43 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

From what I remember though, don't things like the blackjax have some very fancy features

edited so as not to give the game away

[Edited by JohnMcC - 12/11/2003 12:41:43 PM]
Old 11 December 2003, 10:54 AM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

In the end it's just a piece of metal. Worth pretecting up to a point, but hardly worth arguing with a gun over...
Old 11 December 2003, 11:04 AM
WRBlue-STi7-Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Yes very true – but to a lot of ppl on here it isn’t a piece of metal – it’s something that they have spent a lot of money on, it’s a hobby. Ppl have worked very hard to get their cars like they are and wouldn’t want to see them disappear over night.
Old 11 December 2003, 12:27 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

When the car is running and a door is opened or closed this will start the black jax sequence. You can drive the car for about 100 yards and then the engine will shut down, the doors will lock and the alarm will sound.
Old 11 December 2003, 12:28 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Also, I think if you just sit in the car after opening the car dorr and not going anywhere the black jax will work after 30 seconds, not too sure about that one
Old 11 December 2003, 12:30 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

did you see the state of that crappy blue my00 with manky gold wheels ??

It had rust everywhere I would be a shamed to drive such a heap.

In fact I think the Mods should try & find out who owns the car to make sure they dont post on here.

They may have thought it big & clever to get their car on TV but PC Plod have better things to do

Old 11 December 2003, 12:33 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Can we keep the details on security a bit more high level please chaps?

If everyone knows about the anti-hijack technology, they'll get the information on how to get around it somehow.

Think before you post, eh?
Old 11 December 2003, 12:42 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Have edited my message - but in all honesty I would imagine that most theives would have some idea of the sort of things they may face.
Old 11 December 2003, 01:00 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a katana and when they break into your house demanding your keys, scream to them naked "I am immortal, I am god. You can't kill me" while charging at them. It sorta worked in the US where the guy got shot 16 times by a policewoman and still charged forward. If someone as trained and as experienced as her can panic, missing a few times, imagine how a guy with a fake gun must feel. Oh he died but still, what a way to go.

Or you could try your luck like this lawyer who got shot 16 times with a revolver by a client for losing his case and still walked out with minor injuries. His client unfortunately, has been unable to find any defense lawyer to defend him for the charge of attempted murder..
Old 11 December 2003, 03:31 PM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Sorry chiark but if you think professional theives don't already know the in's and outs of security devices on cars then you've overlooked something.
Don't you think they have already tested many different devices and tried to break them, if the car cuts out 100 yards down the road, basic comments on here how Blackjax operates/works won't help them I'm afraid, if they are professionals they already know.
One of my mates had a RS500 locked in a garage which was alarmed, it was blocked in by another car alarmed, the RS500 had all the security devices known to man installed at the time, and the buggers still managed to bypass the alarm in the garage move the blocking car out the way and steel the RS500 right outside their house without a sound!!!!
Unfortunately the gits were never found however the RS was found inbedded into a chevron sign in the middle of a roundabout, they decided it would be quicker to travel over the roundabout rather that around it, oh dear!
Old 11 December 2003, 04:52 PM
tonym
Scooby Regular

The only solution is to have a big dog sat in your car all night!

Reminds me of that (apocryphal?) tale of the guy in America who parked his car and was approached by two kids who asked for 10 dollars to "protect your car, sir". The guy said no thanks and pointed at the big dog sitting in the back seat. The kids then asked "can your dog put out a fire?". They got their 10 dollars...
Old 11 December 2003, 04:57 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If everyone gets blackjax fitted or similiar give it a couple of years and not only will they be waking you up in the night to give them the keys you have hidden under your pillow to make your insurance valid, They will be taking you along with them for the ride in case it cuts out

Old 11 December 2003, 04:59 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Still think a dummy set of exploding car keys sat within easy reach of the letter box is the way to go. They would find it hard to drive a bloody stump.

Old 11 December 2003, 06:23 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Hmm , keep a loaded 12 gauge semi automatic shotgun by the bed , then you can try the "my gun is bigger than your gun routine" .
Whilst I agree in principle with Chiarks comments about the blackjax features and operation how many people ( like me ) who whilst contemplating fitting a blackjax , intellistart4 and remote boot options to my clifford concept , downloaded off t'internet bothe the operating manuals and the installation manuals ?

Steve
Old 11 December 2003, 06:46 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

There are still a couple of tricks to those systems.
The info is not in any manual.

those who have the systems will know what I mean.

bottom line; if its a gun in your face- hand over the keys.
If they want to take you with them- then disable what security you need to for them to drive away WITHOUT you..

as much as I'd be gutted to lose my baby, sorry- car- its still a car and I'm not gonna die for it.
Imho a big (well trained)dog and/or, and a properly secure house is good advice.

know your exits, have contingencies.
Old 12 December 2003, 11:59 AM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

Get a GPS tracking device fitted, let them take the keys, and then sit on the other end of the phone as the control centre keep tabs on your car, directing Plod to it when safe to do so.

Steve
Old 12 December 2003, 01:29 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Or fit a couple of wheel clamps....hassle putting them on and taking them off but it may give you enough time for the law to turn up whilst you barracade yourself in/make alot of noise/quick escape.

The sight of the clamps might just be enough because they will know they can't simply drive away.

steve

Old 12 December 2003, 09:59 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

The sad thing is how many would be Subaru owners just don't bother to replace their stolen Subaru with another but get a lesser car?
I get a bit concerned when my misses is using it as well becaues of the car jacking problem.
Must admit the Blackjax device sounds better than any tracker because having thought about getting my car back after it's been well thrashed for a day or two doesn't appeal to me at all, there would probably be lots of impossible to detect unclaimable damage.
A time bomb waiting to explode??
Old 13 December 2003, 12:45 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

The program was called 'A Trail of Guilt' and the Blue Impreza used in the re-construstion was mine.

At the end of the day if someone is going to break into my house, for my car keys, then they are welcome to them, after all it is only a car, it can be replaced, a life can not!
Old 13 December 2003, 01:20 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
ill tell you what it may be just a peice of metal. but most of these scumbags havent got the ***** 2 go thru wit it. i would put up a fight 4 it. if anything it would raise the profile of the problem if i did buy t big one. besides ive risked my life 4 plenty less b4 cos of the job which seems under threat at the mo.
Old 13 December 2003, 03:18 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Because of what job?
Old 13 December 2003, 09:19 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Tankie, with the current Government's desperation to continue to pump money into their "targets" while avoiding headline tax rises, it was inevitable that the defence budget would come in for some serious stick sooner or later, and it's equally unsurprising to see the "War on Terrorism" (trademark GW Bush 2001) being used as the justification.

Still, as I recall, something very similar was happening in the early eighties, prompting the Argentinians to pull their little stunt.

It's not like the Americans are scrapping their MBT's and Navies wholesale, so with a bit of luck someone, either in this Government or the next, will realise that Britain's armed forces need to retain some integrated, independent warfighting power before all this goes too far. Either that, or the Spaniards will have a go at invading Gibraltar, and we'll be back at square one...