ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help recovered wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 04:38 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my 98 uk wagon stolen on the 23/11/03, day after we went on holiday!, trashed the house looking for the keys, wish I had just left them out, hindsight is always 20/20!
Found it in Liverpool/Wavertree on the 2/12/03. Have it recovered now at Subaru dealer, doesnt appear to have any external damage but as both sets of keys went will have to wait for a lockset change to see if it will start.
Hope the engine and gearbox still function

Any tips as to what to request to be checked/replaced by the insurance?

regards
Old 10 December 2003, 04:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that m8 - hope there is nothing serious wrong!

I am no expert but having rewad various threads I would check the following:

Check for signs of damage to the engine, possible det damage, plus also turbo damage as I doubt they let it warm up or cool down properly.

Also check the tracking as this can get knocked out easily and you can soon shred a set of tyres if it is wrong.

If they had the keys the electrics should be OK, but worth a check.

Get them to do the equivalent of a full PDI as a matter of course.

Check for any internal damage, carpets, seats, *****, buttons, stereo operation etc etc.

Am sure others will add other things.

Once again - hope the scum ain't done anything serious to it
Old 10 December 2003, 05:02 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Olly
Thanks,

What do you mean by 'det damage' and what is a PDI?
Sorry if I sound a bit thck but this is the first time I have ever had to claim for anything!

Old 10 December 2003, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

"det damage" refers to the engine knocking or pinking. Have a search on here as there is loads of stuff relating to it. Tends to occur at high revs and or if poor quality fuel is used or if the MAF sensor is on its way out. If the car was thrashed then this is a possibility. Depending on how bad it is, it can be an engine re-build. Don't want to panic you, as it may well have not happened, but as well to check now and get the insurance to sort it than have a piston go on you in a few weeks time.

PDI - Pre-Delivery Inspection. Most dealers will check 100+ things on a car before you take delivery, similar idea to an AA / RAC inspection you may have before you buy a car. I may not pick up any engine damage, but it will cover all the basics.

HTH
Old 11 December 2003, 11:40 AM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

OllyK
Thanx m8.
The insurance has sanctioned the lock change, any idea on the lead tme for a lockset?
Any other tips on what I should ask the dealer/insurance to check?

thanx in advance
Old 11 December 2003, 11:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

No iead on the leadtime for a loack set - best to ask your dealer on that.

The main thing is to get your dealer to be thorough in thier checks, if you know them well this shouldn't be an issue.

It is more a case of getting the insurance to sanction any "indirect" repairs. They may claim that any engine damage was already there for example.

First things first, get the dealer to give it a good check and give you a report on what if anything else needs doing (and a quote for the work to be done). As I said if you use this dealer regularly they will be aware of the car's history and will be able to help fight your case for any wear and tear over and above the norm caused by it being nicked.

Take that to your insurance company and fight your corner! Best of luck!
Old 11 December 2003, 12:22 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it's any reflection on Subaru ones, but my dad lost the key to his wheels and it took 6 weeks for the new one to arrive.

Andy