Sponsored by:

TIPTRONIC

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 11:19 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I WAS WONDERING WHEN I COME TO SELL THE SCOOB IT HAS A TIPTRONIC AUTO BOX DOES THIS ADD VALUE OR NOT SOME PEOPLE DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF AUTO THEN SOME PEOPLE LOVE THE TIPTRONIC PLEASE LEAVE ME SOME FEEDBACK AS IV WONDERD SINCE I GOT THE CAR
Old 26 November 2003, 04:02 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Ok 50 views no feed back can you just put >manual or tiptronic cheers paul
Old 26 November 2003, 04:07 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Tip tronic will be introduced into the model range very soon, so a lot of people will have no option really, but may well be a stalling point at present, unless you get the right buyer. Not everyone likes the idea of them, but like digital watches, they soon learn!
Old 26 November 2003, 05:20 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think the JDM model WRX Type Euro (2002) had this fitted as standard.. Not aware of any other models that come with it and could be wrong about the above.
Old 26 November 2003, 07:38 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

JDM model WRX Type Euro (2002)
WTF are you talking about? A "JDM Type Euro" is a contradiction in terms!
Old 26 November 2003, 07:54 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Only problem with the current imports scoobs with the triptronic is AFAIK it's a 4 speed slushmatic, i.e. a normal 4 speed auto box with a manual button control option.

Now if it was an automated manual then that mught be another matter.
Old 26 November 2003, 08:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

4 speed slushmatic, i.e. a normal 4 speed auto box with a manual button control
Another misconception, the 4 speed auto is great. Through the gears boost is maintained.

Down or up the box can be manually held.

Initial take-off is slower because of the small relatively torqueless 2 litre but that is only for a moment as the turbo spins up quickly, and it can be sidestepped if required anyway.

In traffic, well, need I say more!

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2003, 06:54 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

spoon im with you on this one slow away from the lights but of a roundaboutits turbo all the way so any coments on worth more or less
Old 27 November 2003, 07:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Historically on a car from new you pay a premium for an auto but on cars like the Impreza people talk so much about driver involvement and so they think a manual is the only way.

These comments are largely based on ignorance though as they've never actually driven a performance auto.

To be honest an auto will still only command a certain audience, I for one would welcome a good auto so I will pay an equivalent price to any manual.

You should be looking at the same price of a manual car of the same spec, age and mileage but no more. You may have it for sale longer if that narrower market buyer doesn't surface immediately.

If you become desperate you may have to drop it but having said that, if someone like me was in the market for it then it will go quickly.

E-mail me with the car and spec and I know an ideal site to advertise it on where auto's are sought after. It's free too.
Old 27 November 2003, 07:57 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Have driven several "performance autos" and have to say that some are better than others.

The better ones seem to be newer (no surprises there then) and having dirven a non performance subaru auto, I assumed that the Impreza would be equally as slushmatically crap, and even the thought of it (until I test drive one sometime perhaps) will certainly put me off.

But appreciate the comment about driving in traffic. Used to like that about the ZX turbo diesel we had, which was dead easy to drive in traffic as you only had to move the clutch up and down, other pedals were not required.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I assumed that the Impreza would be equally as slushmatically crap,
How wrong you are in your assumptions.

But you only qualified my above statement.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:18 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

IMO A Tiptronic Subaru would probably put me off from even going to look at it, but that's my opinion.

In the event that I actually get to drive A turbo autobox then I might change my opinion.

The whole point of the thread was to ask for opinions. Had it asked for fact only I would have kept my mouth shut.

Old 27 November 2003, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

He indeed was asking for opinions and so your point on whether you would buy an auto or not was valid.

The assumption however that they are poó wasn't.

I would guess that the majority of ScoobyNetters would say the same as you too about whether or not they'd buy one.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:40 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

I guess either not many people have them, or can't be arsed to comment, as I think the thread has a sunm total of 2 people in favour ?

But - I would certainly consider a test drive of one, but I expect that it also makes the already bad economy even worse ?

Also, how strong is the autobox ?

If you started to mod, how high could you get the reliability without trashing the autobox ?
Old 27 November 2003, 08:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

But - I would certainly consider a test drive of one, but I expect that it also makes the already bad economy even worse ?
You'd be pleasantly surprised, especially if you manually drive the auto, not full-time shifting but just say selecting 2 or 3 into corners instead of leaving in D to float.
The fuel is worse in an auto Impreza too.

Also, how strong is the autobox ?
I know a couple running 280-300hp without a problem. Without further engine mods that figure will remain, so I guess it's hard to say. Mind you, manual boxes break also when you start giving the car big power.

If you started to mod, how high could you get the reliability without trashing the autobox ?
Like stronger manual boxes, there are stronger auto boxes and high stall torque converters available. After all, the serious drag boys all use them.
Old 27 November 2003, 09:26 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the new legacy has a 5spd auto with 3 types of different changes
1, standard auto
2, sport type like an auto
3, sort of manual tiptronic foreward on the gear lever goes up back goes down the japs have it on the steering wheel in the form of + & - buttons these on ours work the radio volume but we should be getting it soon next year hopefully on the legacy at least
Old 28 November 2003, 08:40 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

My car has 5 types of change auto , auto sport, step tronic, tip tronic, 1.2.3

ooh and a button near the gear shift witch i dont know what its for
Old 21 August 2007, 11:31 AM
Siscu
Scooby Newbie

Perhaps I can be of Service to you all on this thread?

I have just purchased a Jap Wrx 02 Tiptronic with 17k on the clock no mods.

In terms of performance, I find it breathtakingly smooth and quick to boot. Before buying this I have test driven 98 Jap STi RA Rev 3, UK WRX 01 and UK 99 Turbo.

In terms of rating as a Tiptronic Autobox, I have also driven a few of them. (This is not a trumpet blowing exercise by the way) BMW X5 3.0D, Merc E320 CDI. The Scooby box is the smoothest of them by a country mile and the pickup of gears in full auto mode is very satisfactory. The Button that PaulWRXBoro mentions (If it has 'A/T' , Power & Hold) performs a settings change to the box for a number of different situations.
Not selected - Normal Auto Gearing
Power - Far more agressive change higher up the rev range and also greater acceleration from hitting the accelorator whilst already in motion.
Hold - Not 100% sure but I think this starts the drive in 2nd gear for snow/ice conditions.

The Shift buttons are indeed on my steering wheel as preiviously described and can be opperated as an alternative to the stick when in tiptronic mode.

I am unsure to the BHP this car has but it is certainly quicker than both the UK01 WRX or thw UK Turbo that I tested. The STi RA on the other hand was just superbly mental!!

Happy to discuss further.
Hope I have helped some people out?

Si
Old 21 August 2007, 11:48 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
ooh and a button near the gear shift witch i dont know what its for
Chances are this is the gearbox release button that allows the box to be shifted around without running the engine, basically to allow easier servicing etc. My Supra had one but it looked cool in there, red with Japanese writing under it!

I think those who have had a good auto wouldn't have an issue with having another. The FTO semi auto was a great box allowing you to change down twice and the car would only drop two cogs when safe to do so etc etc. Took a while to find a good one though, first few i drove were crap.

5t.