Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo timers, wots the crack with them working with alarms etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 05:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Now i know they technically invalidate the CAT1 etc but what is the story with how the alarm, central locking, immobiliser works when it does shut down? ie if u set it for 2 minutes & walk off can you set alarm etc while its still counting down or does it arm after its shut down or other or does it vary from model to model?
Just wondered...
Si
Old 03 November 2003, 05:57 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what model turbo timer i've got however (on mine) the alarm can only be activated once the the turbo timer has completed its time cycle and the engine shuts down.
Old 03 November 2003, 06:15 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Some alarms (Clifford 300 for example) have a plug in expander module so you can arm the alarm ( by pressing a button on the 4 button fob whilst the car is STILL running) then when you turn the car off and remove the key the steering lock comes on but the car runs for a preset period. Also you can remote start the car to allow it to warm up before you unlock it.

I would think most standard alarms would go off as a turbo timer must need an ignition type status for the engine to run which IMHO would cause ana alarm condition. The last paragraph is only my opinion though !

Steve
Old 03 November 2003, 07:20 PM
tfc
Scooby Newbie

i've got the blitz auto timer on my astra and its not compatable with my cat 1...rang blitz up and they said the same...when its finished its auto count down i've got to re-open the door and close it and it will arm the alarm and set the dead locks..or he techie that fitted it as picked up the wrong acc live wire....but a mate of mine as the trust greedy all singing and dancing one on his astra and everything works ok
Old 03 November 2003, 07:23 PM
scoobyshep.
Scooby Regular

Hi Si get a clifford concept 500 with built in
turbo timer and blackjax,also available with optional
intelistart so you can warm it up in the mornings
without even leaving the house .
Old 03 November 2003, 07:34 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I have a Selca CAT1 and I can leave my car locked & alarmed while the car is counting down to zero before finally switching off.
The people at work think I'm mad and often shout "oy mate, you forgot to switch your car off" as if I would leave it idling in the car park all day
Old 03 November 2003, 07:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

well car i have coming in from Japan has a HKS turbo timer which as it turns out the insurance co i will be with dont mind at all so defo guna get that bad boy up & running & although i wood prefer the clifford goodies + options the place which i'll be picking car up from only duz scorpion cat 1 stuff & so rather than not having owt i'd rather they at least stuck that alarm etc on then pay extra to get the main man DrC to stick sumin fruity on
I was merely intreged with how/if there was a general procedure for how TT's work with alarms etc other than removing CAT1 in theory lol
Si
Old 03 November 2003, 08:13 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Si, just a thought. I know where your picking your car up from "scorpion stuff" gives it away
If you have an alarm fitted there and you live miles away from them, wont it be a ball ache if it should go wrong,ie, with regards to getting it sorted?
Why not get a Clifford or the like fitted when you get the car home, localy.
I was gona get mine fitted as above but decided against it for this reason.
As i say, just a thought

Gary.
Old 03 November 2003, 10:06 PM
erinyes
Scooby Regular

If u go for a clifford concept 300 or better, u can either, get the intellistart module and the engineer can run the ignition off a timed output for however long u want,OR if u have a turbo timer already, they can install a relay to bypass this and it will operate as normal, so u can arm it and leave it running.mine came with a T timer, but i fitted a concept 500 and got intellistart and ditched the TT, worked better for me IMO.
Old 03 November 2003, 10:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

i never even mentioned motormall
Yeah bottom line is i do defo want clifford in ideal world but without a cat1 my insurance aint guna be in existance so wouldn't really even wana be driving it back even if i could fudge it so it was just lacking theft coverage for a day or sumin for sake of a few hundred quid seems a silly risk i dont really wana take, will investigate if i can blag it sum way but looking at 2 cat1 installs at the minute
doctor clifford is local to me & i'll happily use him for all the bits i want but until i can get it to him dont wana leave myself open as it were
Si