Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PPP - Should I ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 10:03 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a 5DR WRX and am thinking about getting the PPP done . £1600 seems a lot of money for just 40 more horses plus an increase of £300 on insurance and £100 more excess .

Need to be persuaded .. Anyone ?
Old 14 October 2003, 10:12 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Worth every penny!
Drive a ppp'd car, get back in yours and you will not be satisfied
trust me!
You bought a performance car! 40bhp is quite an increase but that is not the point, the power delivery and torque curves mean there is a more dramatic improvement on the road than the figures suggest.
Old 14 October 2003, 10:41 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Alternative View

I have not done it yet.
PPP is not the best back box in the world.
Way over priced for what you get.
Arm twist over the warrantee, otherwise people would go elsewhere

More power and you are gona use it, and it will cost mainly because you can’t drive off turbo so much.

Anyway when the time comes I will Tec2 at about the 2.5 year point for half the price.

Spend the money on sat nav and don’t get lost, in the end you will get there quicker.

Not many places to use the power what with traffic jams and speed camera, 225BHP car is dam fast on a public road, very few cars are faster than the basic Scooby especially if you have fast reactions and good quick gear changes.

[Edited by Ajax - 10/14/2003 10:44:19 PM]
Old 14 October 2003, 11:12 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

When it comes down to it the PPP is the only black box that you can put on your UK scoob and maintain its warranty. End of story. If you can afford to replace the engine then put another make of black box on it.

Richie.
-
Subaru Impreza III WRX STi Type UK PPP

[Edited by ramdor - 10/14/2003 11:14:58 PM]
Old 14 October 2003, 11:40 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Ramdor: That’s the warrantee arm twist argument voiced again.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:45 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

go go go gadget.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:47 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

Pays ya money, takes your chances... I have a nice sleep at night knowing that my car will be covered for the next 3 years

Ramdor.
Old 14 October 2003, 11:57 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

If you look at the ecutek3 or something, its like 700+ quid.. then you add on decat mid section and back box, thats like another 500+... so you are up to 1200+ quid... 400 quid for a 3 year warrenty doesnt look so bad. Yeah your car wont be quite as potent as the ecutek route but at least it would get fixed if it blew up. Like I said, pays your cash, takes your chances.

Ramdor.
Old 15 October 2003, 12:03 AM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

SOME GOOD POINTS RAMDOR.

[Edited by ( R6 CDW ) - 10/15/2003 12:04:16 AM]
Old 15 October 2003, 12:05 AM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

sounds like I am convincing myself.. lmao

Richie.
Old 15 October 2003, 12:39 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Suppose the options are :

Car under 3 years old, UK model and has 3 year warranty with option to extend for more years ... then PPP is a sensible if expensive, but approved, warranty friendly way to go.

If car is older than 3 years and no extended warranty to worry about, or is an import and so no Subaru UK warranty .. then PPP is over priced and under performing IMHO. So go the exhaust / filter/ ECUtek / other ECU route ... better bangs for ya buck!

Old 15 October 2003, 12:56 AM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Car is only 2 weeks old !!!!!!!!!

Views appreciated... will possibly consider it in the future , maybe next year when I can afford it !!

Are there many people out there with standard cars or am I only one ?

Old 15 October 2003, 07:53 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi

I have a PPP RB5.
I have driven my mates standard non PP scoob and there is a massive difference.
PPP gives bigger punch in back and pulls harder at lower revs.
It also creates a lovely bit on induction roar.
Warranty is always good so PPP is the best option for a new car.
You wont regret it.
Jas
Old 15 October 2003, 08:00 AM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

I agree with jjk.Theres a massive differance with the ppp on.Order it today its worth every penny.
Try liverpool victoria for your insurance.I paid extra £25 for ppp.
Old 15 October 2003, 08:49 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Yup, STI7 as standard cos I can't get PPP so I'll wait another 18 months and then go mad down the Ecutek route.
Old 15 October 2003, 09:49 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Its just the start you will soon find the standard brakes are not up to the job and will need upgrading along with a switch to 18 inch wheels to deal the extra torque that the PPP gives and soon you will be able to get Prodrive revised spring kit so it will look right as well!!! Probobly best to get a flexible mortgage first though.

Regards

John
Old 15 October 2003, 09:55 AM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had my new wrx my03 a month before driving a PPP'd car and thought that i must get that done asap. Booked the car in to my local dealer but in the mean time drove a friends Ecutek 3, fully decatted car. What can I say, other than I cancelled my order with my local dealer for the PPP straight away and got my car down to Xtreme Scoobies in essex for the ecutek and decat. At the same time I had a ITG panel filter fitted and all in all I am totally gobsmacked at the difference in performance. The car now sounds absolutely spot on and even pops in between gear changes, not silly loud (I do about 600 miles a week and can barely hear the car with all the windows closed). The quality of the hand made stainless steel exhaust is out of this world and the Ecutek 3 is "tailor made" to my car. Furthermore I attended a rolling road day last month where both a new WRX and STi that were both PPP'd were well down on the prodrive claimed power outputs. Both guys were not happy bunnies. As for waranty issues, all I can say is what gets put on a car can also be taken off a car...lol.
I personaly felt that the prodrive kit was a rip off offering just a poorly made back box, "off the shelf" remap, and one piece of silicone hose for £1600. In all I paid £1800 for a full, hand made stainless steel exhaust, a fully tailored custom map (which took a full day of mapping) and a new air filter. Dont get me wrong I can understand why 99% of scoob owners have and should go for PPP, it makes sense on many levels, it just wasnt for me. Lastly, if youre around the south east at all feel free to take the pepsi challenge and have a drive of my car.
Old 15 October 2003, 10:09 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

StevoWRX
As you will now have seen, many Scoobynetters are performance die-hards: nobody has yet owned up to having an unmodded WRX.
Yet they ARE a very capable car.

However, I bought WRX03 wWagon in July and had PPP fitted at 1st service. That's all I will change - as it's an everyday car for me, with kids/ hobbies etc, so no desire to turn it into a trackday/outright performance beastie on a pedestal (but will occasionally have a go on - been once to Brands already!)

PPP is an unobtrusive change that makes it just a bit special to those in the know. Anyone else still thinks it's a japo-box with a strange vent on the bonnet. Stealth rules!

Yet the extra oomph and soundtrack, plus knowledge that will retain value and warranty, makes me feel happy -which is what it's all about.

Luv the sat-nav suggestion. If you feel that way, sell Scoob immediately and buy a Mondeo. It's not about overall speed - it's the "smile factor".

Old 15 October 2003, 10:47 AM
wideboyuk
Scooby Regular

Unmodded (except de-tangoed) STI7 here and proud of it.
Ecutek route in 18months time!
Old 15 October 2003, 11:05 AM
Brassy03WRX
Scooby Newbie

Steve,
You are not alone I recently purchased a WRX and it is still standard when it comes to the engine.
However i too am now having the same problem of what to do, having now got used to the car i need that bit more but prodrive is for me way too expensive for what you get so its a few little tweeks here and there that wont effect the warranty i.e air filter etc. And once the warranty has run out its in for the Ecuteck full monty
Old 15 October 2003, 12:13 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

If you look at the ecutek3 or something, its like 700+ quid.. then you add on decat mid section and back box, thats like another 500+... so you are up to 1200+ quid... 400 quid for a 3 year warrenty doesnt look so bad. Yeah your car wont be quite as potent as the ecutek route but at least it would get fixed if it blew up. Like I said, pays your cash, takes your chances
Plus when you sell it, a PPP will be more attractive than a 'modded' car.
You also get intercooler piping in with the price as well I believe.
Old 15 October 2003, 12:17 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

I would not be able to wait 3 years,

will be time to px for STI10 !!
Old 15 October 2003, 12:53 PM
Nick99
Scooby Newbie

I'm still on standard 03WRX after a couple of months. Still love it. Dealer said try his PPP out, but I haven't had the chance yet.

Scoobynet has a lot of avid mod'ers, but I was almost too embarrased to own up to "just" a standard ! Wonder how many more are out there but still in the closet.

No plans to PPP yet, but ....

Almost forgot - does PPP improve the handling - front and rear cross brace etc ??

[Edited by Nick99 - 10/15/2003 12:57:38 PM]
Old 15 October 2003, 01:03 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Question

i bought my car 2 months ago with ppp already on it and i still dont kno the full spec of ppp!!! does ne 1 kno the full spec?!
Old 15 October 2003, 01:34 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Got a totally unmodified WRX (2001)
Tried a PPP a while back and thought the noise was far too obtrusive, and performance gain was pretty minimal.

But then I wanted the Scoob to be our quiet refined car.

Since then have tried a 2003 WRX with PPP and the noise was less obtrusive and the performance gain was HUGE, mainly due to better response and mor flexibility with the better torque spread.

If I were to get a 2003 WRX it would have the PPP no question.

Mark
Old 15 October 2003, 02:25 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I had PPP fitted on my WRX'03 last month, after going about 2K unmodded. The difference is massive. The car pulls through the gears much, much more strongly.

If you can borrow a WRX PPP to try out and know someone with a WRX STI or a modded old style Scooby, try following them from a rolling start up to 70ish, at full tilt. I think you'll be quite suprised just how close to their back bumper you'll still be at the end.

The WRX PPP isn't a 'mega' scooby but it's still bl**dy fast.

I'm sure there are cheaper ways of achieving a similar result. But unless you are very well off, very stupid (or both) why risk screwing up your warranty.

Go out and buy a PPP!

Cheers,

Chris.

[Edited by Pockman - 10/15/2003 2:26:53 PM]
Old 15 October 2003, 03:45 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Smile

one more time........forget PPP and go for a hand made stainless steel full exhaust and Ecutek3......it's much quicker and makes all the right noises too......260 bhp enuff ? i dont think so....do it properly and get yourself a proper leap up from 225bhp to 285/290 bhp
Old 15 October 2003, 03:49 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Anybody know the comparable torque figures for WRX03 PPP and Ecutek remap with Exhaust mods many thanks.

Regards

John
Old 15 October 2003, 03:54 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Don't know the figures for a Ecutek remap with Exhaust mods, but the PPP fitted to a WRX'03 gives 257 lb/ft (221 lb/ft as std).

Chris.
Old 15 October 2003, 03:58 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

how 'tailor made' can the Ecutek remap be? Surely they just plug their laptop in, select the model of car from a list and press 'go'?

Sorry if I'm being over simplistic, but how can it really take a full day? Thats one of the reasons I don't understand why a PPP is so expensive - the remap can't take long?

Quick Reply: PPP - Should I ?