Sponsored by:

Finally, it's Scooby time

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2003, 10:31 AM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ok, Ok, you're gonna hate me, coz I'm sure these questions have been asked a Gizzilion times, but I'm finally ready to get myself a Scooby

So, roughly how bad is it on petrol? How many miles to a tank (driving with a bit of fun now and then) and how much to fill it up with Optiplop? I have a Galant VR4 at the moment and on a "fun tank" I'll get 160 miles from £40, driving Miss Daisy I get 220.

Is there anything MAJOR I should be looking for when buying (around a 1998 model, facelift job)

Apart from that I'm fairly familiar with how great it is

If you want to PM me or email me to save this getting all dragged up again then please do.

dave@carartz.com

Thanks a million.

Dave.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:35 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Depends on which model you have as they have different sized fuel tanks.

My car (MY93 WRX) had a 50 litre tank, usually fill up with 40 - 45 litres (so about £36 a fill up) and I get between 180 - 220 miles before the next fill up, so about the same as your VR4 by the sound of it.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:44 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
I get about 27 ish to the gallon , that is driving around in the country though not short journeys in town . Have a look here for more info click here for sidc faq

go for it you won't regret it

Dave
Old 06 October 2003, 10:52 AM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I find hard to believe the a big heavy Galant (1700 kg) with a V6 Twin turbo and Auto box would be near similar on fuel to a Scooby

I really should have got a Scooby in the first place, but I just wanted something different. I have now seen the light and will be correcting my heiness crime asap, lol.
Old 06 October 2003, 12:46 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

just worked mine out this morning ...
roughly £35 optimax for ~400km (250 miles) per tank
as the needle dips below the quarter level i go back and fill up.
so i guess i would probably manage about 300 miles to a full tank, going to completely empty.
this is Driving miss daisy tho, on the work run from sheffield->wakefield up the M1 with a small amount of in-town traffic at each end.

however, on a fun weekend i can suck up that £35 for a tad over 100 miles.

oh, its a MY98 WRX STi Type RA, so the gearing in 5th is a bit lower too, which wont help the gallons per mile figure!

/2ob
Old 06 October 2003, 12:50 PM
JohnS

Welcome to the club Dave.

Scooby fuel consumption varies with your weight of your right foot. I always tell people that they should expect about 22mpg on average. Some people who do long motorway or country journeys where they are in 4th and 5th gear all the time will get 25mpg+, others who drive in lower gears around town most of the time will get between 16 and 22mpg, depending on how much fun they are having On track you'll get a nice and steady 8mpg!

UK cas will run just fine on normal unleaded, and a bit better on Super/Optimax. Some people notice the difference, others don't, but some notice if they go back to normal unleaded. You can get better economy on OPtimax/Super, which does outweigh the extra cost of the fuel.

If you have the extra funds, then I'd go for the MY99 car, instead of the 98, as it comes with the 4 pot brakes as standard, which though not brilliant, are better than the 2 pots fitted to the -> MY98 cars.

Quite a lot of MY98 cars were prone to piston slap as well (search the drivetrain forum for lots of threads on this). A lot were fixed under warranty, but many slipped through the net so to speak. If buying a 98, always insist on hearing the car when it's first started in the morning, as the knocking noise will diminish as the engine warms up. The ECU in the MY99 cars is also re-mappable more easily, if you want to go down the modifications route.

The MY99 also comes with revised front grille and bumpers, and slightly better headlights (you'll soon find out how bad the standard ones are the first time to drive quickly at night!).

Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you have any more questions etc.

John
Old 06 October 2003, 03:32 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I've been monitoring mine and with mostly having runs to work (60% A roads, 40% motorway), I'm getting almost spot on 30MPG. Thats having no fun, and using optimax.

Now I've run it in, I expect that figure to drop, but its an indication of what you can get if you're gentle.

WRX 03 by the way.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:48 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

After drawing all those Scoobies its about time you joined our ranks

Good Luck in your choice mate

Phil
Old 06 October 2003, 04:03 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Cool

STI-8 with a few mods, about 19 mpg driving town and motorway, about 10 mpg when driving the nuts off it, which it loves to do
Old 06 October 2003, 04:18 PM
Planny
Scooby Regular

Talking

Interested in this?