Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why are people De-Valuing there Scoobs by so much

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2003, 08:45 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Why is it that so many MY00 Scoobs are for sale, and why are so many people (on this site at least) intent on devaluing there motors

Maybe these people can afford to lose several thousdand pounds, or are really desperate for the sale

the Current Price for a Good Condition MY00 on a W plate is circa

Private Sale 12-12.5k with upto 30k miles on it
Trade In 10.5-11k (depending on model trading in for)
Dealer Sale 12.5-13.5k

This is from several sources (including from the trade)

So why do we keep seeing them on here go for 9-10k ?

Old 20 September 2003, 09:29 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It does seem to be the case at the moment that cars for sale here are for a lot less than many in the autotrader.
I am currently considering selling mine (hoping I won't have to), but won't bother if I am going to lose a packet.
Old 20 September 2003, 09:41 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Not seen many at 9-10k with low mileage.

I've got a March 2000 EU MY00 30k miles which cost me 15.5k new - if I were to sell mine (which I'm not!) and got 10-11k thats very low depreciation compared to other cars.

Cheers,

Ian.

[Edited by Ian E - 9/20/2003 9:43:11 PM]
Old 20 September 2003, 09:43 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Ian... I think you should have a word with Peccy

[Edited by BuRR - 9/20/2003 9:45:57 PM]
Old 20 September 2003, 09:51 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Don't know how much Peccy got but if he's got 9k+ for a 55k miler then I guess thats not too bad.

Remember cars are not an investment

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 20 September 2003, 10:30 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

book price for an 80k MY00 is 8.5k

I do think people are selling them for too little

Old 20 September 2003, 10:34 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

At the end of the day something is only worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. Also some people need a quick sale to buy another car and would rather lose money on their car than lose the car they want to buy
Old 20 September 2003, 10:34 PM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from a dealer 2 months ago. 99 Wagon 42k
cost me 10k. Absolutely standard.
Old 20 September 2003, 10:37 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Peccy's went for less than 8k to a dealer

Yes I can understand if people really need to get shut of their cars fast, but it does devalue everyone elses

I certainly couldnt afford to lose 3k on selling mine

you guys must be really desperate or loaded

Old 21 September 2003, 12:08 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Im asking for 12,995 for mine, i definately dont think im under valueing my car, i think that people are undervalueing newer models though

Tony
Old 21 September 2003, 12:14 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

why undervalue? to sell "faster". Isn't that the only reason?

"It's only worth what someone will give you for it" as my father once said.. Never mind what a book says, if no-one is buying it's not worth anything!
Old 21 September 2003, 08:00 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Well, Chrome got a bargain earlier on this year by those figures!

People price cars for what the market will pay. End of story. Dealers are taking the mickey with trade-in values sometimes, hence that tends to drive private sales slightly down IMHO, as people don't want to feel that they're ripping people off. Or at least, I just wanted to set a price that was fair with everyone, and I reckon that's what people are looking to do?

Old 21 September 2003, 08:03 AM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

if no-one is buying it's not worth anything!
Very true, and at the moment SN, Auto trader, Findit, Top Marques etc is flooded with Imprezas.
I was thinking of letting mine go a while back when I was faced with redundancy but fortunately held on to it.
People think that this for sale forum is the #1 place to sell your Impreza and if it doesn't shift here it will not sell anywhere. They then drop the price by a grand every few weeks till a "undercover" dealer buys it.
My experience of selling my car (on here) for those 2 weeks was being bombarded with stupidly low offers, crappy part ex deals and people generally wasting my bandwith.
My advice would be to advertise it early (where ever possible) and hang in there till the right person falls in love with it.

Danny
another MY00 owner

Old 21 September 2003, 08:15 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Yep I do agree with the comments above

I got a good deal on my car, it was advertised at slightly below the going rate

Tony yours is priced right as is Talizmans, and one or two others I have seen for sale, you dont see these prices being dropped on Trader or on dealer forecourts either, only on SN that I can see

Not all dealers are ripping people off, an example is my local dealer

He bought a Sonic Blue MY00 for 10,500 and sold it the day after for 11,995 and told me the phone never stopped ringing about it, and could have sold it 100 times over

Those figures above are pretty much spot on book figures, so why do people accept 9 grand trade in, when the dealer will sell for 12

Fair play to those who will stick out and not accept stupid offers, which I know happens a lot on SN

I dont think it helps at all by people accepting lower prices, cos then everyone else in the market for a scoob then thinks that that is what the car is worth, so driving prices down even further

On the same token, if I were to sell my car, I would sell it for book price (no offers, and in no rush to sell) and then I would come on here and buy another one for two to three grand less, cos that is the SN going rate
Old 21 September 2003, 11:27 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

*SONIC*

book price for an 80k MY00 is 8.5k

I do think people are selling them for too little
Which book did you use to get this price?

Ive just looked in Glass's Guide (this months) and mileage adjusted to 80k the trade in price is only £6875
Old 21 September 2003, 11:57 AM
C
Scooby Regular

the fabled 'beano' as its called in the trade aka @parkers price guide' its a joke some of the prices in that

Why's it called the Beano? - cos its good for a laugh

Remember the guides are always a month behind anyway as its what the cars apparently go through the auctions for the month before...

Anyway I think you will find CAP figures a lot more 'realistic' than Glasses - hardly any cars go even close to the 'book' price in glases

[Edited by C - 9/21/2003 12:00:17 PM]
Old 21 September 2003, 12:10 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Im looking at getting CAP for Windows, having the specifications would be very helpful and the price differences between Glass's and CAP can sometimes be MASSIVE!!!

I recently bought a 306 convertible and the difference between the two was £1000. Luckily i paid somewhere in the middle but still sold it for Glass's Retail, although i did over allow £500 on the p/x.

But getting back to scooby prices...

Do you think the fact that its a performance car with a turbo that this undermines private values? Ie, do buyers become afraid of spending 10k on a car without a warranty and this affects the selling price?
Old 21 September 2003, 12:31 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sonic, it depends how much hassle you can cope with when selling, I'd prefer to sell my car quickly for a sensible price than have to put up with lots of time wasters to possibly get an extra few quid.

I sold mine 18 months or so back for 13k, I'm sure the current owner will be happy to know it has only cost him around 500 quid depreciation in that time.

Given I bought the car new for 14.5k (to quote yourself 'you guys must be really desperate or loaded' to have paid more than about that for your cars new) by your reconning the scoob must have the best depreciation of any new car.
Old 21 September 2003, 01:14 PM
what?!
Scooby Regular

I agree with Sonics points...

I got offered £9k for my MY00 UK car (40k miles) against an STI8 from Subaru main dealer!

If you check Subaru's used cars on their site you will see that MY00's are priced between £12,995 and £13,995!!!!

Rip off?

Needless to say, I walked away.
Old 21 September 2003, 01:19 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Some very valid points....

I bought my MY00 for £15k 1 year ago and have spent circa £6k on it.

Although I appreciate that I won't get anywhere near £6k back for the extras, I'd expect to get more than £9-£10k for a car that cost £21,000 last year.

I'm selling mine at the moment, but I'm prepared to hold out for the right deal!

I refuse to contribute to the deliberate de-valuing of these cars and I'd chose to run it into the ground before I'd sell it for 30% less than what its worth.
Old 21 September 2003, 01:26 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Depreciation, it should be a four letter word $#!* And as scoobys are currently depreciating twice as much as regular cars, is it any wonder the markets pi$$ poor at the moment.

I paid 10k for my MY98 a year ago but i know ive lost a shed load of money (esp with the money i spent on it) but then i knew that would happen. Having said that, the year before i bought a sport wagon which after 12 months i made £500 on, so im about even at the moment.
Old 21 September 2003, 01:58 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I got offered £13.5k for my Dec/02 3000 mls wrx against a £16.5k 00/x sti. Thats a £4.5k hit in 9 months, Shi*e or what!
dave
Old 21 September 2003, 02:17 PM
timrud
Scooby Regular

Just to clear up any innacuracies concerning Peccys car as he's not here to put things straight....

"Peccy's went for less than 8k to a dealer"

AFAIK it sold for 9400 as it was....

I know the cars bad points very well (I won't list them here, thats for peck to do if he wants) BUT 9400 was a good price given the circumstances.
Old 21 September 2003, 02:44 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Used car market is bad anyway at the moment, remember its a buyers market & there are hundreds of scoobs to choose from.

Yes i think the lack of warranty on private used car sales can scare people off & no dealer back up etc...

£9000 to £12,995 retail? hardly that bad, lets look at the breakdown of costs:

3 years old = 36,000 mile service £500
Average recon on used cars is around £500 ish (paint touch ups, cracked bumpers, tyres etc..
VAT on the SIV (stand in value or the amount you paid for it)
VAT on the margin between that SIV & the actaul selling cost
Valet costs (usually £50 a pop on average)
The fact that the car maybe in stock for 3 or 4 months it needs to be priced right..
Pay the salesman (10% of the margin on average)
Add a warranty (very expensive on a 2.0 turbo)

Remember dealers are NOT charities (contary to popular belief) & just possibly MIGHT like to make some money... :

Oh & maybe a little bit of money included for negotiation, or giving you a little more for your PX which you think is worth £3000 more than it actually is

We had a scooby dealer in our network & apart from being offered to underwrite over 20 UK turbo's a day basically could pick the cream of the lot & dictate the prices they want to pay...

Like I said, buyers market drives prices down, if there arnt the people to buy them, the prices will continue to fall until people do.
Old 21 September 2003, 07:00 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info & comments keep em coming

With regards to Peccy's car (as I know he isnt here to defend etc) I read on a thread by Peccy himself which said he got less than 8k at a dealers for it

The Prices I quoted were CAP Clean (I have a mate who is a dealer) I also compared against Glasses (used for insurance) and Parkers for reference

CAP actually came out better than Parkers, but going on the info and buyers market etc, I would be better off if I put my car back to standard, and for it to get nicked, even with my excess I would still get more than I paid for it, plus I have all my extras to sell on too

*Please Note*
I do not want my car nicked, nor have I any intention of doing so, the purpose was to illustrate a point

However I am with Talizman, I will not take a cheap offer, just because I need to sell the car, I will wait, the right person will come along

Also all the figures mentioned are relating to completly standard Scoobs too

Old 28 September 2003, 11:56 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

Any car u wanna buy is going to depreciate. Very rarely can you make any money on a car given running costs etc.....if you dont want to lose money on a car, buy a £1000 well looked after low mileage old shed or a £100000 car with a long waiting list.

With regards to people selling their cars too cheaply, its a question of supply and demand, if you need to sell your car then u keep droppinmg till a buyer comes out of the woodwork.
Old 30 September 2003, 12:36 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

well i bought mine for 20k new in oct 2000.

did 57k innit and couldnt pull anymore than 10.5k when i sold it it 20 months later.

ended up trading it as i couldnt get anywhere private.

mind i sold my wheels,zorst, chip, and other bits for 1k so that helped but it was servere i thought.

just sold my a3 quattro for 15.5k so only lost 5k on that one in 13 months.

cars eh ....who would have em!!

Lee
Old 30 September 2003, 06:59 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I think too many people are stuck in the days when Scoobs held their value well because there was a shortfall over demand.

Now they're ten a penny, you can get pretty much any model instantly - the market is totally flooded from Japan so if people want to sell they go in below others who are deluded as to the real worth. It's irrelevant what Cap, Glasses, Parkers say if the market says otherwise.

As to mods - so what if you spend 6k on them - it's YOUR choice and is totally irrelevant to it's value - it just makes it potentially more saleable.

IM have hardly helped either with the MY03 being cut in price - all that's done is filter all the way down the 2nd hand market.
Old 30 September 2003, 10:11 AM
buffy500
Scooby Newbie

Makes me feel ok about my £13K (20K miles) dealer purchased MY00 W Reg Wagon then.....