Very basic STi questions

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 12:32 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ist post here so here goes

At present I have a 2001 WRX as a company car but as the tax is getting higher all the time I am going to take the cash option and get a type UK STi

I have spoken to a couple of dealers and all I get is "come to me last " and we we will work something out , I have a provisional figure of £23,500 with one dealer but have no way of knowing if this is a good price or not , anyone have an idea on what a good price for a new UK Sti is ?

Also , so I can plan my finances I need a basic idea on fuel consumption as from experience the official figures are no where near the truth , I do a lot of motorway driving and get 22-23 mpg from my 2001 ( bug eye) uk wrx , what could I expect from a 2003 uk Sti

Thanks

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 12:33:09 AM]
Old 17 September 2003, 07:26 AM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

When I ordered my Sti in May, none of my local dealers were doing deals. In the end I managed to get about £500 off. So to me, Id say that your getting a good price.
Dont forget to order the PPP and allow for the extra cash that will involve.

MPG wise, Ive been getting 22/23 mpg while running it in. Thats around town driving, no 4000 revs+, no motorway blasts. So I expect it to drop further.

Thats the one down side to Scoob ownership, you need your own refinery or at the very least, shares in BP !
Old 17 September 2003, 08:43 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

£23,500 from a main dealer is a damn god deal.

Thats in line with Supermarket prices and they have an "in-house" warranty and aftermarket security at that price.

I'd definitely get one at that price, and put the savings towards the PPP to get the magic 300!

If you are worried about fuel consumption, get a diesel cos there is no such thing as sensible fuel consumption in a Scooby, but thats not wy we buy/drive them is it?
Old 17 September 2003, 11:01 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

I'm prepered to put up with poor fuel consumption but as a do 25k miles a year including 20k + business miles which I only get 11.5p a mile for I can't afford it to be too bad , if I can get 22mpg with mostly motorway work then that is fine

As for the price I was actuaaly getting the impression that their may be a bit more to come so I will keep working on them

The PPP would be very nice but will probably add a further effect on the fuel consumption , also I dont know what sort of effect it has on driveabitly / noise bearing in mind it will be used for fairly high mileages

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 11:02:09 AM]

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 11:09:03 AM]
Old 17 September 2003, 11:14 AM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

once u get your own car, government figures depict you can claim 40p per mile for the first 4500 and 25pence there after as it's your car, also on yer tax returns u can claim shed loads back for depreciation, cost of repairs etc.
Old 17 September 2003, 11:21 AM
rotty
Scooby Regular

I get an allowance of £465 a month so the only get 11.5p a mile , the 40/25 a mile is the government maximum not a fixed amount and is generally only payable if you dont get a monthly allowance , you can no longer claim back for depreciation etc but I can claim tax relief on the differnce between the 11.5 and the 40/25 figure but this only compensates for the tax I lose on the 465 a month
Old 17 September 2003, 11:40 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

PPP improves driveability greatly, as it brings the torque online at lower revs, so you have to stir less often. Many people report a tiny improvement in MPG: mine's certainly no worse, unless I cane it - which is always a temptation

Getting a PPP'd WRX is, by all reports, a very acceptable alternative to a non-PPP'd STi (and you can have a 5-door, if you want it!)

Phil
Old 17 September 2003, 12:20 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I have a modified 2002 STi (Euro/Uk Spec)
On a long motorway jaunt (Aberdeen to Farnham, Surrey) I was getting 28mpg fully loaded (85 mph steady top gear).

I wouldnt buy the STi if i did a lot of Motorway driving. I'd go for a WRX, and get the PPP. Smoother ride and no difference power wise really. Only 5 gears on the WRX, but I think it's the better Motorway car. Had a non ppp'd wrx for a year, and I hated it on back roads (no punch) but it was excellent on long runs.
Old 17 September 2003, 01:15 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

You should be looking at a lower car allowance (taxable) and a higher rate for your mileage (not taxable).

I'm far from being an expert on these things, but I get £400 (taxed) allowance per month plus the 40/25p (not taxed) on my mileage.

It used to be a much higher allowance and a lower mileage rate, but I was getting stung by the tax man so had a moan at the gaffer and they sorted it this way instead.

I can easily get 24mpg on a run with the PPP fitted on my STi, 49,000 miles in 13 months, so it's well run-in now.