ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Very basic STi questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/251288-very-basic-sti-questions.html)

rotty 17 September 2003 12:32 AM

Ist post here so here goes

At present I have a 2001 WRX as a company car but as the tax is getting higher all the time I am going to take the cash option and get a type UK STi

I have spoken to a couple of dealers and all I get is "come to me last " and we we will work something out , I have a provisional figure of £23,500 with one dealer but have no way of knowing if this is a good price or not , anyone have an idea on what a good price for a new UK Sti is ?

Also , so I can plan my finances I need a basic idea on fuel consumption as from experience the official figures are no where near the truth , I do a lot of motorway driving and get 22-23 mpg from my 2001 ( bug eye) uk wrx , what could I expect from a 2003 uk Sti

Thanks

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 12:33:09 AM]

Pistol_Pete 17 September 2003 07:26 AM

When I ordered my Sti in May, none of my local dealers were doing deals. In the end I managed to get about £500 off. So to me, Id say that your getting a good price.
Dont forget to order the PPP and allow for the extra cash that will involve.

MPG wise, Ive been getting 22/23 mpg while running it in. Thats around town driving, no 4000 revs+, no motorway blasts. So I expect it to drop further.

Thats the one down side to Scoob ownership, you need your own refinery or at the very least, shares in BP !

talizman 17 September 2003 08:43 AM

£23,500 from a main dealer is a damn god deal.

Thats in line with Supermarket prices and they have an "in-house" warranty and aftermarket security at that price.

I'd definitely get one at that price, and put the savings towards the PPP to get the magic 300! ;)

If you are worried about fuel consumption, get a diesel cos there is no such thing as sensible fuel consumption in a Scooby, but thats not wy we buy/drive them is it? :D

rotty 17 September 2003 11:01 AM

I'm prepered to put up with poor fuel consumption but as a do 25k miles a year including 20k + business miles which I only get 11.5p a mile for I can't afford it to be too bad , if I can get 22mpg with mostly motorway work then that is fine

As for the price I was actuaaly getting the impression that their may be a bit more to come so I will keep working on them

The PPP would be very nice but will probably add a further effect on the fuel consumption , also I dont know what sort of effect it has on driveabitly / noise bearing in mind it will be used for fairly high mileages

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 11:02:09 AM]

[Edited by rotty - 9/17/2003 11:09:03 AM]

bits'n'pieces 17 September 2003 11:14 AM

once u get your own car, government figures depict you can claim 40p per mile for the first 4500 and 25pence there after as it's your car, also on yer tax returns u can claim shed loads back for depreciation, cost of repairs etc.

rotty 17 September 2003 11:21 AM

I get an allowance of £465 a month so the only get 11.5p a mile , the 40/25 a mile is the government maximum not a fixed amount and is generally only payable if you dont get a monthly allowance , you can no longer claim back for depreciation etc but I can claim tax relief on the differnce between the 11.5 and the 40/25 figure but this only compensates for the tax I lose on the 465 a month

Phil Harrison 17 September 2003 11:40 AM

PPP improves driveability greatly, as it brings the torque online at lower revs, so you have to stir less often. Many people report a tiny improvement in MPG: mine's certainly no worse, unless I cane it - which is always a temptation;););)

Getting a PPP'd WRX is, by all reports, a very acceptable alternative to a non-PPP'd STi (and you can have a 5-door, if you want it!)

Phil

clubby 17 September 2003 12:20 PM

I have a modified 2002 STi (Euro/Uk Spec)
On a long motorway jaunt (Aberdeen to Farnham, Surrey) I was getting 28mpg fully loaded (85 mph steady top gear).

I wouldnt buy the STi if i did a lot of Motorway driving. I'd go for a WRX, and get the PPP. Smoother ride and no difference power wise really. Only 5 gears on the WRX, but I think it's the better Motorway car. Had a non ppp'd wrx for a year, and I hated it on back roads (no punch) but it was excellent on long runs.

Big Goon 17 September 2003 01:15 PM

You should be looking at a lower car allowance (taxable) and a higher rate for your mileage (not taxable).

I'm far from being an expert on these things, but I get £400 (taxed) allowance per month plus the 40/25p (not taxed) on my mileage.

It used to be a much higher allowance and a lower mileage rate, but I was getting stung by the tax man so had a moan at the gaffer and they sorted it this way instead.

I can easily get 24mpg on a run with the PPP fitted on my STi, 49,000 miles in 13 months, so it's well run-in now. :)