Sponsored by:

hot weather, no power, poor boost?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2003, 02:55 PM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've read a few comments on here about people suffering from poor power in hot weather conditions. I recently bought a new Impreza IIIWRX in may, after 1500 miles it had the turbo replaced on warranty. 1000 miles later the boost is fluctuating again. I've taken it back to the dealer who said it feels OK after he took it for a test run. I know its definately not right, cos when I give it a boot full and its running good I can't help myself grinning with an evil frown on my face, when its not working there no smile and loads of frowns. Another trip down to the dealer and I'm told its due to the hot weather and its quite normal!!!! What the F**k do they make of them on the continent and how do they win rallys in hot countries??? No help from the dealer (albeit they were very polite in telling me to **** off and stop whingeing!) I am told I've got to wait till the 4th August until the regional service manager to come and see me. So I ring subaru technical (0121 522 2000) and speak to a thoroughly nice chap called Mr Baker who suggested I take it back to the dealer to drain some oil as it was upto the full mark. This was a problem on older models and apparantly puts the oil pressure up and can tell the ECU to cut the boost down to protect the engine. Didn't work for me but might do for a few of you out there who are suffering the same. Anyway still no joy but I'm keeping a diary on the cars antics and performance as well as waether conditions (i'm lucky enough to have access to a weather station for humidity atmospheric pressure and temp)as I for one do not think its acceptable. I'm not talking 10-20bhp loss but as much as 50-60 horses, thats how flat it feels. I urge anyone who still has warranties to keep on to Subaru and your dealer about your problems and demand the problem fixing. Anyone got any comments please???
Old 23 July 2003, 03:41 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The ECU doesn't read the oil pressure, so that was a bit of a red herring (polite phrase for BS )

The latest cars do seem to have more temperature correction than the older ones and the PPP versions are even worse. Its important to have temp correction, but it does look like Subaru have been a bit too cautious here.

There is no solution other than EcuTek, but that is not a warranty friendly option.
Old 23 July 2003, 04:15 PM
hercules29
Scooby Newbie

I know this problem all to well, I've seen the area service manager who said that the car was ok like you I know that its not. Got a letter from Subaru head office asking me to help them solve the problem as they dont know whats wrong!!!!!!!!!!
Petes right its down to the temperature correction, in traffic its even worse. I've given up with Subrau, had a de cat and a Tek 3 by Pete at Scoobysport and its 80% better with some more mapping I'm sure it will be 100% and still retain a good safety margin
Old 23 July 2003, 04:46 PM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks chaps, I'll use your advice in evidence to get a refund. So sad cos when it runs right, I luv it. If i wanted a car that wasn't versatile 12 months of the year I'd have bought a bloddy convertable!
Old 23 July 2003, 05:48 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc
I've noticed mine being slightly affected by the weather but not to the degree which you mention. I had my MY03 WRX PPP'd in May and that has livened things up alot. There have been occassional days when I've thought "hmm not as quick as normal here" but they have been few and far between thus far, certainly not enough for me to consider rejecting the car.
Old 24 July 2003, 10:58 AM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers for replying lads, I'm really torn about what to do, cos when shes on form I absolutely love her, but its frustrating when you cant pull away from a golf TDi!
Old 24 July 2003, 11:54 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I've noticed a real loss in power when pulling out of service stations in France in 35+ weather. Felt like a NA once! Throwing some water on the i/c before setting off again helped things.

Once out on the autoroute for a while the car goes back to normal. I think I'll go the water spray route when I have the time.

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2003, 12:35 PM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Question

Pete / Anyone how much is the EcuTek and where do you get it??
Old 25 July 2003, 10:35 AM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just to keep you posted, this morning 16 degrees 97% humidity 1001 bar atmos presssure, car is dead as a dodo. Yesterday did 220miles and she was flying Arggghhhh!
Old 25 July 2003, 11:12 AM
ktomassini
Scooby Newbie

I have the same problem with Legacy GT MY92. When the car was not working properly max boost reached was 0,4 bar, but we couldn't find why! Sometimes it goes as it should (up to 1,1 bar) and sometimes not at all!

Still don't have a clue what it is....

Have you checked what boost do you reach?

K.
Old 25 July 2003, 01:50 PM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Don't know what boost is running at but its going on the monitor report next week at the dealer to check the diagnostics. Problem is she might be running good on the day!!!! I'll let you know.
Old 06 August 2003, 09:42 PM
chocolate charlie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Like you i've got an MY03, bog standard wrx (2 months old 5000 miles. It is as dead as a very dead thing after sitting in traffic but, once free of traffic it's ok.....this is with aircon on from start up. It seems that boost is retarded because of all the additional heat generated under the hood by the air con on full chat, I,ve kept the air con off the last couple of days and its flyin again.....what do you think, am i talking tosh? It's not to good in this weather without the aircon on though.
Old 06 August 2003, 09:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Chocolate Charlie- It's a well known fact that aircon saps power.
Bigger normally aspirated engines don't suffer as much though but we are only talking 2 litres here.
Old 06 August 2003, 09:55 PM
chocolate charlie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The phisical power sap isn't to bad......tried turning the air con on full chat and then accelerated through the gears and there seems ( on my car) to be very little difference, It only slows significantly when there is a massive heat build-up under the hood caused by the air con working over time, it then seems to be vey slow to recover.
Old 07 August 2003, 07:10 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Get a SECS unit so that you can see exactly what boost you're getting. A lot more conclusive than how it feels, fail to see how they can argue with figures.

Andy
Old 07 August 2003, 08:44 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

The intercooler gets heat soaked when you sit in traffic or park up for a while. Not much you can do about this unless you go for a FMIC. If you park up for a while with a hot engine, try throwing some water on the i/c before setting off.
Old 07 August 2003, 09:28 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Yep i've got the same problem and its bl00dy frustrating!!!!!

Mine is a 03 STi8 PPP and it does it more often than not. It even does it when its a cold day. Finger hurts from pushing the I/C button all the time.

Been to the dealers and no fault with car! Just down to I/C temperature. Bl00dy annoying as it never happened with any of my other scoobs!!.

Gets to the point when you daren't even floor it away from a robin reliant in case it passes.

Nice car but so frustrating.

Wish i'd kept the P1 as 1 pi55ed on me the other day.

Oh well

Ady
Old 07 August 2003, 09:37 AM
WrX 03
Scooby Regular

Mine seems to be relative to humidity, (I've got a weather station at work), must admit though doesn't feel as bad as it did now shes running on optimax. Didn't want to admit it but I was running on regular UL (Dooohh!) but if it helps anyone else out there its worth admitting.