Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would we all own Skylines if we could afford them??

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2000, 12:25 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you could get closer to the dream - Datsun Dave is selling his Skyline in the For Sale section
Old 03 May 2000, 12:28 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Cool

you don't need to win the lottery now!
I've got an R33 for sale in the 'Private' section!!!

Dave
Old 03 May 2000, 12:28 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nah, they're too ugly.

I'd have more fun throwing serious money at my UK scoob (for subtlety value) and getting Prodrive to build me a derestricted WRC engine.

Or perhaps doing the same to a 22b 'cos they look so good.

D
Old 03 May 2000, 12:31 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep - always happens! Someone always posts the same thing at the same time as me!!

Datsun Dave
(apparently!)
Old 03 May 2000, 12:33 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Ugly ??? Are you on drugs??

They are a work of art.

Beautiful poise with a purposeful look about them.

And although the scoob is a motoring delight they still aren't quite there with the build quality, whereas the Skyline feels like it is hewn from a titanium billet.

Grrrrraaarrrr
Old 03 May 2000, 11:22 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Question

Well Wednesday is here again.

Two things really happen for me on a Wednesday. I'll be in the gym at 6.30, and inevitable my mates and me will get onto the famous 'What car would you buy if you won the lottery tonight' question.

Well amongst the Ferrari Marranellos and Zonda C12's grrrrr and Macca F1's, I always mention the R34 and the Impreza, but the Impreza for some reason is always further down the list.

Now Skylines relatively aren't really that expensive for the kit that you get? £43,000.00 gets you an all-conquering plateau from which you can tune to your hearts content.

Are we kidding ourselves, really if we could afford it would we all be on Skylinet bbs raving about Skylines Hmmmmmmmmm.

The next stage of my gym lottery car conversation then turns to the ultimate Impreza what we would buy and what we would do to it, but that’s a different thread.

[This message has been edited by Scott J Davies (edited 03-05-2000).]
Old 03 May 2000, 11:51 AM
Liam
Scooby Regular

Not a chance. I don't like Nissans!!

But then if you've won the lottery you'd just get one for the hell of it.
Old 03 May 2000, 01:01 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I would if I could, but I can't so I don't. One of the few cars that sounds and handles like a Scoob.
Old 03 May 2000, 01:04 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should have had a after the opening line!!
Old 03 May 2000, 01:11 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, any 1000 brake road legal car would do :-) That lemon jobbie owned by the computer guy in scotland - yes pleeeeeeease!

Or a TVR Speed 12

I do like the look of the Skyline, esp from the front - nice and aggressive.
Old 03 May 2000, 01:21 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Depends on your reasons for buying a car I guess. I quite like the fact that the Scoob is so practical with four doors and a fair amount of cabin space. I think the V-Spec GT-Rs only come in two door form, you have to go "down" to a GT-S to get a four-door Skyline. For their size, they don't have a massive amount of room inside.

That said, if I did win the Lottery, a Skyline probably would be on my shopping list!!

Of course, this begs the question, would you buy a car from a manufacturer that has made a loss for the last six years? Roll on the Renault Skyline...
Old 03 May 2000, 02:01 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I am fortunate to be in the position where could choose to run a Skyline if I wanted to, I haven't yet, and I won't for a fair while.

I like driving on country backroads where a well setup Scooby or Evo will leave pretty much any Skyline behind, given comparable drivers.

I have a friend who runs a Supra Twin Turbo... 3 litres, two turbos, ~420bhp through the back wheels... nice, but, like the skyline, it is much heavier than the rally-refugees, hence less able on tighter, twistier routes. He prefers motorways and other big, smooth, wide roads, as you would imagine!

Having said all this, I suspect I may well get a Skyline at some point in the future, when I want a more sedate and refined car. It's kind of a thing I've decided to do one-day, in the same way that some people say you must own a cosworth at some time in your life.

Moray
Old 03 May 2000, 03:14 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I've driven a few skylines and have to say they are stunningly good cars. But...

'Good' (in the same way as 'Better') is a subjective word.

I personally much prefer the Scoob. The Skyline is like driving a video game. It does everything for you. I truly believe that if you owned one for a year and drove it enthusiastically (sp?), then got into a scooby or almost any other 'sports' car, yo would stand a seriously high chance of stuffing it.

The subaru is an incredibly competent car also. But it is competent through engineering, set-up and design, not by electronic intervention.

When you drive a Subaru on the limit, it is YOU that's doing it. I prefer that challenge.

Having said that.. If it was lottery time, I would definately get one, just for the sheer performance and a play thing. But if it is a choice, I would almost certainly have an EVO (let alone a scooby) before a Skyline.

Regards

Simon
Old 03 May 2000, 03:46 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Cat amongst the pigeons time.

If Skylines were exactly the same cost as a Scoob would ya have one then.

Moray, a well hustled Skyline on the track would wup Scooby ***, as it would most things!!!
Old 03 May 2000, 04:51 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Scott

I know what you are getting at, but I wouldn't be so sure.

If you put a novice driver in a skyline and then a scooby, the skyline would win, but a skilled driver... maybe a different story.

Depends on the circumstances of the track.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03 May 2000, 05:11 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Simon

Not so sure I agree with you, Skylines are ultra quick track tools, have been a passenger never a pilot but It seemed as though it would have lapped quicker than my WRX no matter the driver, admitadely it was a 450 bhp beast . Look at the Nurinburg ring times.(sp)
Old 03 May 2000, 05:39 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Scott,

I said a well sorted scooby/evo will be quicker than most skylines down the kind of real world british country backroads that I like to drive on.

I don't doubt a skyline is quick on a track, as are supras, but these good track cars simply don't cut it on the roads I most enjoy.

I reckon that, unless you are a locally living full time track instructor with 24-7 access to a track, or well off enough to run a track-car seperate to your everyday transport, there is no rational reason to compromise the car's road-going ability just to get better times during the little time you spend on the track.

As I stated, I like skylines, and may well own one in the future, but it won't be as quick as my car on the roads (see, I said roads, not tracks! ) I want to drive.

Moray
(I have been overtaken by one on a track, two bends later I waved to him as he sat stationary, facing me in the middle of the corner... hehe...)
Old 03 May 2000, 05:43 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Think of it this way...

It is a fact that a sorted Elise will whoop both a scooby and a skyline through certain situations, like tight twisty bends with no real straights.

The overall grunt of the skyline is the only thing which can beet a scooby. An Impreza will change direction quicker, will hold a higher lateral G in a turn (with the right suspension) and it will ride bumps under braking and cornering better (in my experience).

I'm not saying the scoob will out perform a skyline in all situations. Quite the reverse, the skyline will kick scooby but in the majority of situations but.. I was just saying, 'I wouldn't be so sure' that 'A well hussled skyline *would* wup scooby *** on the track'

It all depends on the circumstances.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03 May 2000, 05:46 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

PS: Of course, a well drriven "450"bhp skyline is going to be quicker than most 200 to 300 bhp rally refugees! I wonder how a "450"bhp skyline would fare against 400bhp evo (or scooby), assuming they had reasonable money spent on the engine? I suspect power to weight would still be on the evo's side!
Old 03 May 2000, 09:33 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

On the track?

Well on Santa Pod, Datsun Dave had a problem matching the Scoob that the chopped in for his Skyline.

What can I say?

R
Old 03 May 2000, 10:24 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree with Scott,

The R34's just look simply awesome and is currently one of the rarest cars in the UK. I saw a *real* one the other day (heard it forst) and it looked stunning.

If I had the money, the Porsche wouldnt get it, but the Skyline would!

Simon,

Your STI v-limited also looks stunning mate, pulls a great 2nd gear wheelspin when dumped from 7000rpm too! You should try it.
No really, looks lovely, look forward to seeing it being driven by yerself.

Cem

Old 03 May 2000, 11:20 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

i wouldnt go for a skyline, too heavy for my tastes. I prefer lightweight, highly manouverable, powerfull cars. The Evo or Scoob is ideal in the real world, on track give me a RWD cossie with big power or a westfield.
Old 04 May 2000, 12:25 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Damn Right I would have the Skyline!