Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

In Germany r there ever special Imprezas like uk?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2000, 09:29 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the German market ever get special versions of Impreza's like the UK does? Because I am looking for a car like the RB-5 or sti's with a fixed bulkhead but in left-hand drive? Any advice?
Old 28 April 2000, 09:18 AM
Galaf
Scooby Regular

There was a special version on the french market in 1999. Black, gold wheels and alcantara seets but no ABS and no airbag. I think only 100 were made.

Laurent
Old 28 April 2000, 10:54 AM
Oge
Scooby Regular

You can get the Prodrive Performance Pack from your dealer, which if I have understood correctly is the only major difference between a standard Turbo and the RB5.
Old 28 April 2000, 11:10 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Jeremy

You can find it in Budapest(Hungary). A few fanatics makes WRX with l. side steering. Price is like WRX + cca. 15 000,-DEM.
Sorry I cant`t give you address but if you have any friend from rally racing try to ask. As I know this is only place where all east europ. teams prepares a sevices rally cars.

Old 28 April 2000, 11:41 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Or try and find an ex WRC car they are all LHD
Old 28 April 2000, 08:53 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Hi Jeremy,
Why don't you want to visit Switzerland? Swiss Tuners love the Impreza!
What I think you should do:
-> Buy a MY99 or MY00
-> Drive to Switzerland (Schaffhausen, it's in the North of Switzerland, near Singen)
-> There is a tuner called "Delta Garage". He will bring your car to 260PS and
380Nm!!! and the best is: FULL WARRANTY FOR THREE YEARS
REMAINS! costs are 3700Fr. about 4600DM.
-> Then you can buy a set of 17" rims and 205-45-17 Pirelli tires. 3500DM
-> Have the RB5 suspension settings done: 200DM

==> There you have your RB5 for +8300DM !!!
==> And believe me, the 260PS and 380Nm make the car VERY FAST!

ric (owner of a MY98, dreaming of enough money to set up the car to 260PS, after
driving a modified MY99 of a friend.....)

PS Sorry, no advertising, but I don't work for Delta!
Old 30 April 2000, 06:13 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

For the MY99 model year, the German market got a special edition of sorts. The car came in metallic black, and had a lovely beige alcantara/leather interior, heated seats, air con, and possible some wood-effect fittings (gear ****, steering wheel I think). The odd thing was that the seats were the Sport-style as opposed to the normal MY99 high back seats. I've only ever seen pictures of a 5-door so I don't know if a 4-door was ever made. I think there's an English guy on the BBS with one (he lives in Munich), and he has (or had) a web site with pictures on.

Hope that is interesting to you!

Andrew.
Old 01 May 2000, 04:46 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Yes but did any of the german market cars ever come with a solid rear bulkhead like the RB-5 and WRX cars?
Old 01 May 2000, 09:52 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

The Dutch market got a special edition called the 'Stars 25'. I think a variant was available in France, and possibly other European countries too.

It was released on the MY99 model year, at the same time as the UK RB5. It shared a very similar spec, same colour (plus met. black), similar interior, and at the time I heard it said that it was essentially a LHD RB5.

As for the bulkhead, I don't know. There is a Dutch guy with a 'Stars 25' on Mark Otway's owner pages who you could ask!

Okay, so it might not be a German market car, but at least it's LHD! Does it have to be German ... I mean, could you import from Holland if need be? Any reason why you specifically want the fixed bulkhead?

Andrew
Old 01 May 2000, 11:54 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

You are right any left-hand drive market car will do. I picked Germany because, that is the country through which I intend to bring the car to America.
Most people believe that the fixed rear-bulkhead makes the Impreza more rigid and handle that much better? No?
Old 02 May 2000, 02:03 PM
Corrr
Scooby Newbie

Hi jeremy,

Why not buy your scooby over here in Holland? As a foreigner you should get it for a relative low price since you don't have to pay the dutch taxes wich are very high on new cars.

The stars25 version was indeed a special version, among others, but is not comparable to the RB5 because it has the same engine specs as the basic Impreza GT Turbo.
Basically whe have three versions of the GTT in Holland. 2 saloons, one with and the other without ABS and airbags, and also the 5-door estate only with ABS and airbags.
Specs are pretty much the same as the UK models.
The solid rear bulkhead came on all the special versions, special editions and also the stars25.

For engine upgrades the dealers offer the Prodrive package. Or we rely on the offerings of various tuners in Holland or abroad (mostly UK).
Old 02 May 2000, 08:09 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Corr,
thanks for the info. Holland sounds like a good place to buy.
Are there any places you know of in which I could buy one of the 'special edition cars' new? Are there any MY2000 special editions or was that only for MY99?
THanks.
Old 02 May 2000, 11:21 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Corrr. COntrary to popular belief, the RB5 didn't have anything special about its engine. It is just a plain Impreza Turbo 2000 / GT Turbo unit. I.e. the same as the Stars 25 edition. I think the confusion arises as people assume the RB5 came with the optional WR Sport package (which included the Prodrive ECU & exhaust sections).

Jeremy. Interesting to read that you're wanting to export a car to America. Are you planning to race it? Would a good rear strut brace make up for the lack of a fixed rear bulkhead if such a model proves difficult to find? Just an idea.

Andrew
Old 03 May 2000, 07:33 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

I have seen Impreza from Delta tunning. Not very nice and you can buy front intercooler, induction kit, blow of valve from HKS and bigger IHI turbo and make your self all changes. Sorry you need Samco hoses too.