Sponsored by:

I bought a Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2003, 12:07 AM
NewbeDoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I bought a MY03 WRX on the first of March, and seem to have had endless problems. It all started with a whine from the Gearbox in all gears, which the dealer agreed was not normal, the gearbox was replaced by the dealer very promptly,which solved the problem, whilst replacing the gearbox they noticed that the radiator was leaking coolant from a split (caused during manufacture), so a replacement is on back order, and due to be fitted soon. Then the trim above the instruments came loose, (apparently only one clip was used to fasten it when two should have been used) Finally today the starter motor clutch did not engage properly, making an awful grinding noise, and leaving me stranded and pi$$ed off.

I have wanted a Scoob since I first laid eyes on a classic turbo several years ago, and always understood the build quality of Jap cars to be excellent. This is my first new car, (for which I have scrimped and saved for ages) and so far I have been left feeling that I have bought a lemon and I am starting to worry about what will go wrong next.

I love the way the car drives, but the experience has been tainted by all the faults. I can honestly say that I have never owned a car which has had so many problems in such a short time.

Having said all that I can say the guys at the dealership are very helpful and the after sales service and warranty is top notch (so far) .

The sad thing is that I probably would not buy another Scoob.

Sometimes I feel like approaching the dealer and returning the car, just to cut my losses.
Old 29 June 2003, 12:15 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

You have been very unlucky. I have had 2 scoobs in the last 4 years, both from new and the only problems I have had are with the clutch juddering on my classic.

My wife's Punto had a couple of major problems in the first thousand miles, but ran faultlessly for the next 40K.

I run a 03MY WRX PPP, now with 5K on the clock and nothing except a couple of rattles. Don't let a couple of poblems put you off, they are generally very reliable cars IMO and I for one will be buying another Impreza after this one.

Dan
Old 29 June 2003, 12:23 AM
Turkish1
Scooby Regular

I would have to agree mate, you have been very unlucky I am on my second scooby, none new though, and have had only wear and tear items fail on me, touch wood. You will love the car when everything is sorted out, dont give up on it yet because when you start driving it when its OK you will realise why the rest of us have one and love them to bits.

Turkish1
Old 29 June 2003, 12:34 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I would imagine that with the major problems that you have that instead of new parts just hand the car back and ask for a new one !!!!! warranty is just that......... go to C.A.B. they will advise you....its a pig in a poke by the sound of it, i bought a new one and no problems like you have for sure, do not let this put you off the Subaru experiance you have a great car enjoy it !!
Simon
Old 29 June 2003, 12:35 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Newbedoo,

Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon special.......

Craig.
Old 29 June 2003, 02:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Its called a warranty, use it

Tony
Old 29 June 2003, 10:48 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I can understand why you're p!ssed off. I've had similar problems in the past (but not in a Subaru). It does put you off the make of car. All I can say is we're on our 5th new Scoob and had no real probs with any of them in a combined 170,000+ miles.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers
Old 29 June 2003, 11:10 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

friend of mine had a great heap of "niggly" problems on his new M3. Steering judder/reluctant gearbox/poor tracking etc etc. Dealers tried tme and time again to mend it but new problems keep cropping up.

Eventually, after 6 months/5000 mile sthey've just replaced it for a new one! And upgraded him to tiptronic gearsbox as a "sorry"!

Worth following the same route and demanding a new one? It does sound like a friday evening/monday morning special!

Good Luck.