About to take the plunge ... maybe

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 10:31 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi all,
After many years of thinking (read dreaming) about it I'm about to buy (assuming test drive is as good as I'm hoping) my first Scoobie.

I'm not really into the looks of the in-yer-face STi and need something that's reasonably comfortable for a daily commute. I do fancy something with a bit more bite than my 1.8VTi civic though!

I've got a max budget of 24k and want to spec as much from the dealership as possible, so car's delivered ready to go :-)

I'm thinking along the following lines:

2003 WRX SL4 + PPP + Quickshift + Trackstar + Alpine head & changer

After reading a bit here it seems a brake upgrade might well be in order, would 294mm fronts and uprated rear pads be OK? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Also any feedback about the ICE gear Subaru offer would be appreciated.

Dammit, haven't been able to think about much else since I realised I could afford one!
Old 12 June 2003, 11:00 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

I think the Prodrive upgraded 294's(are same size as STD) but they are grooved Front disc and different Pads. IIRC

Braided hoses are also worth considering

You may be better to forget some ICE and go for the larger Prodrive Front brakes upgrade and rear upgraded Pads

Tony

Ps Enjoy
Old 14 June 2003, 01:07 AM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the reply Tony. I reckon I can live with the standard ICE for a while so I'll probably take your advice on the brakes.

Now just got to make 100% sure I can get the cash and go for a test-drive, can't friggin wait!

Steve
Old 14 June 2003, 01:23 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Get the prodrive springs an upgrade to 18" wheels with all of that fitted that would be an excellent car
Old 14 June 2003, 01:34 AM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Excuse my ignorance (bit of a car noob, wish I'd had more interest in them before now!) but what will that give me? Although I get a few miles of country lane and a dual-carriageway to enjoy every day I need something that'll be Ok for town driving as well, so don't want too hard a ride.

Cheers
Steve
Old 14 June 2003, 09:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

For the 24k your looking at there are a few STi7's with PPP out there (around 21-22k at a dealer) which have better brakes, but slightly higer fuel consumption (but a better all round car )

Tony
Old 14 June 2003, 09:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Also, don't make the mistake of driving a bog-standard car, then being dissapointed 'cos it's not what you expected it to be before all the extras, if you see what I mean?:
Don't laugh.....there was a post on here not 6 months ago, just like that....I kid you not!
Alcazar
Old 14 June 2003, 12:08 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Steve,
The 'Newage' impreza compared to classic, although stronger and more refined, suffers from being,

a) Underpowered
b) Overwieght
c) Sat up to high
D) Ugly

Cure a), B) and c) who cares about D) LOL (I own a bugeye MY02STi7 PPP'd)

A) Is vastly helped by PPP(Prodrive Performance Pack)Not great BHP gains but better Torque delivery much more controllable Power. Also the only Performance upgrade Warrantyed by Subaru UK

B) Not a lot to be done here unless you gut all unessencials like A/C, Carpets, E/windows,Stereo's Etc. lighter Wheels 18"PDF7's will help Looks, unsprung weight and Handling.

c) Prodrive Springs kits lower the car improves handling but still gives some comfort no need to wear gum sheilds

Everyone has their own Idea on in which order, this would be mine
but depends on if it was a WRX or STi

WRX
1) PPP
2) Brake upgrade
3) Wheels
4) Spring kit

Sti
1) PPP
2) Springkit
3) wheels

In My Humble Opinion :

Tony

Ps hope this my help as I love spending other people's money
Old 14 June 2003, 04:22 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

notb thought about going for something like a p1. think about it, how many new style scoobies are you gonna see on the road compared to a p1.
Old 14 June 2003, 11:59 PM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.
I was starting to think about going for the standard WRX and PPP'ing it later but the concensus seems to be go for it up front and you lot seem to know your stuff. I really don't want to be disappointed, buying a Scoobie has been on my mind for years. Uprated brakes seem like common sense so I guess there goes my 24K, lol.

Much as there's theres the temptation to go for a PPP'd STi (maybe the spoiler isn't so bad, maybe I could run to 28K without losing my girlfriend...) I really need a car that's _reasonably_ comfortable around town and on the M1, as well as a great ride through the country. The WRX seems like a good compromise.

But... Just how much would lowering the car and adding 18" wheels do to the ride do you reckon, are we talking STi ride or somewhere between the two?

So many decisions. Theres also the colour to think about. I like the look of the silver but som epeople look at me like I'm mad, it's GOT to be blue with gold wheels, lol.

Cheers,
Steve

Old 15 June 2003, 12:11 AM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

drb5, P1, hmmm, I must admit I do like the look of them :-)

Not likely to have the opportunity to spend this sort of money on a car again for a long time though (small matter of rebuilding a house and a wedding to think about, lol), so a new motor with full UK warranty and support is pretty appealing.

Dammit, wish I could afford to run 2!

Steve

Old 15 June 2003, 12:25 AM
fireandskill1
Scooby Regular

If you are gonna get one get an STI and be done with it. They have even come down in price since last year so go for it. you'll regret it if you don't. On the sensible side if you are going to run it every day don't forget you will only get about 200 miles to a tank in town you will get more on a run though. I used to fill my Lexus once a fortnight I fill my Scoob once a week.

[Edited by fireandskill1 - 6/15/2003 12:33:28 AM]