Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

First time on a track yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 12:21 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the CCC action day yesterday and I took my MY97 on the track (5 laps). It was my first time on a track, and now I'm completely hooked. I genuinly suprised myself when I got on there, I told myself I would take it easy, that went out of the window after the first lap , Before I knew it I was breezing past (amongs others) a Pulsar GTI-R, a couple of Civic Type R's (I thought they were quicker track cars that Scoobs?), and even another Scoob on the last lap (hello if your reading this). To be honest I was expecting to be taken left right and centre. Although my car only has a few mods (Full decat, Dawes, induction kit, Prodrive handling pack and Powerstation bumpsteer mod) it was doing everything I asked of it. Just goes to show what a Great car they are, even at the hands of a track novice like me. Bottom line is if your thinking of going on the track, just do it. I'm completly hooked now. Roll on Japfest

[Edited by DreXeL - 4/27/2003 12:22:41 PM]

[Edited by DreXeL - 4/27/2003 12:23:01 PM]
Old 27 April 2003, 01:22 PM
triple6
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Castle Coombe is a nice track, i did one of their track day courses on Friday in the pooring rain, got to drive a single seater formula ford (pure madness) new shape impreza and even managed to spin a Lotus Elise.. I know exactly how you feel i loved every minute of it and now im hooked i cant wait to get another Scoob and blast it round the track
Old 27 April 2003, 02:00 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it's good fun, you do need to be a little cautious there, I went out with my mate in his Elise, and during our session there was a nasty accident with an RS turbo, it took a hard front impact, coming out of the first chicane, I know myself what can happen there, I 'did' my mini a few years back, it cost me 6k and a whole winter to reshell it, then I sold it and got the Scoob!!!
Old 27 April 2003, 04:39 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

I Saw that Series 1 RST, It was totally written off. I would have been gutted
Old 27 April 2003, 07:12 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

ya mean this one:

scuffle with a cavalier and sadly lost grip on the grass, spun round into tyres, complete write off, roofs up, pillars shagged, battery tray is vertical now!!!

being reshelled for the next track day

[Edited by apples24 - 4/27/2003 7:14:16 PM]
Old 27 April 2003, 07:14 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Yep that's the one, poor b@stard
Old 28 April 2003, 11:18 AM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Unhappy

OK guys.You have got me p00ing myself now
I will be doing my first track session at japfest.
I would like to bring my car home in one piece
I wonder if velcro and cushions would help

Greg
Old 28 April 2003, 11:28 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Drexel,

I've done numerous track days, including one in my old MY00 (company car) at Bedford They are so addictive mate, and soon you'll be buying track wheels (with bold tyres) and really going for it. Did you wear your tyres much ? How did the brakes stand up ? I always use the engine a fair bit for braking, to stop the disks getting that hot. Make sure you don't apply the hand brake and open the bonnet to allow heat to escape, during the breaks

It's shocking how fast you can be going within a few laps, ask Mouse he was surprise when I took him around Castle Combe, in my RB5

I did hear you were driving your little heart out, but sadly missed it as I was fitting my Knocklink and Induction kit

Enjoy

Phill

PS I also heard there were numerous Idiots driving like ****** on the track too. Saw a lovely MPEG of an M3 spinning out
Old 28 April 2003, 11:29 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

And if you doing a track day soon, drive at a pace that your comfortable at. You don't need to prove anything to anyone. Saw many a car go home on a low loader

Phill
Old 28 April 2003, 11:51 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Drexel, glad you had fun!

I was spectating this time, but the next one is on 14th June and my rusty yellow TR7V8 should be back at the 'Coombe...

Can't wait.

Anyone know who the guy in the maroon Legacy turbo estate was? Plates said "TEQUILA SLAMMER". That was driven very well too - Much to the chagrin of others.
Old 28 April 2003, 06:07 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Did you notice how bent the front end was on the Legacy ?

I assume it was a track car and had been in the tyres more than a few times
Old 28 April 2003, 07:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the guy with the Legacy, but I've seen it up there loads of times, I think it's the same guy that had a cut down leggy estate, that one looked like something out of mad Max!!!
With the prices of older cars so low, you can't balme anyone for buying an oldun just to track it, especially if you have a trailer and truck to pull it!!!
I'll be on track at Japfest too, can't wait for it, 15 solid minutes with only 12 cars on track at a time!!!!!

Ron.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:38 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm driving at Castle Combe in about 3 weeks time - my first track day. I'm half cacking myself, half really looking forward to it.

I understand about not leaving the handbreak on (uneven cooling, warped discs). Why should you not open the bonnet? Same reason, too-quick cooling?
Old 28 April 2003, 09:48 PM
lardypants
Scooby Regular

the coombe is all right hand turns, first couple laps get used to it, use the gears to slow ya down hardly use the breaks, the straights are short so its more throttle out off the bends so **** hot suspension is a must, we use an old h reg astra gte, slammed with adjustable suspension with a few other suapension secret mods, on the straights were ok but the bends we nearly rule, get on track as early as possible, the quarry be carefull theres an slight increase after the straight then a drop into the tight bend so no brakes,use gears down into 2nd or third(
depends on car), line the car up right and full throttle through and out it its an art but get it right your tight in and on the rummble strips nearly out and i can honestly say we have embarised a few cars, on the straight we can only peak 115mph but we do ok, its all fun mate drive within your own capabilities, learn the track, within 3 laps your be hooked i promise you.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:50 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

I think that you want to open the bonnet at breaks to assist cooling!

Korky
Old 28 April 2003, 09:55 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

OK, I think I misinterpreted that as a warning not to open the bonnet. Makes sense if the objective is to dump heat!
Old 29 April 2003, 02:01 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah sorry I meant open the bonnet

As mentioned it quite a bumpy track, so maybe easy to see why people come off. Remember the rules slow in and fast out and get used to the track first. Within three laps you'll be hooked, I agree

Phill
Old 29 April 2003, 06:21 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Yeah my dodgy 2-pots were cooked by the third lap, but it wasn't too bad, they faded to a certain point then didn't fade any more. I was using a combination of the brakes and engine-braking. To be honest the tyres stood up quite well cosidering. They are Pirelli p-zero's BTW.
Old 29 April 2003, 06:33 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Interesting thread on Pistonheads here talking about the Castle Coombe track day. I think the important thing to remember is that this sort of turn up and drive event is very different to the kind of track days normally organised by owner's clubs such as the SIDC.

Chris
Old 29 April 2003, 07:28 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It's a book in-advance day I'm going to, as far as I know you can't just turn up and drive. Don't think so anyway... I know I paid considerably more than the £20 that was mentioned (unless that was a jokey reference).
Old 29 April 2003, 07:50 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

According to the Castle Coombe website, you could book a track session in advance for £28 (5 laps) - extra laps on the day could be bought. You could also turn up and pay on the day to get a parade pass (3 laps). I think the point is, that at these kind of open days you never know who is going to turn up. You would hope that at a club track day you would get a slighlty better level of driver skill and more importantly, consideration for other track users.

Chris
Old 29 April 2003, 08:08 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

The paperwork says that they only allow a limited number of cars on track at any one time. Doesn't specify what that number is, though. At least if random people do turn up (& make the mandatory safety briefing, etc.) then there won't be too many at once.

There's race instructors around and "New to Track" guidance. Are those available on turn up and drive days?

It's my first time on track, so I'm sure I'll have a good time regardless. I've even got a spare set of front brake pads, just in case!