ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Pinking on Optimax!

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2003, 12:00 PM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Since new I have filled my MY03 WRX with Shell Optimax and nothing else and although the ECU has been refined to produce best MPG figures on 97 RON, Shell Optimax, at 98 RON, should in theory give better performance figures. However, I've noticed that at half to 2/3rds (and in some cased full) throttle I get quite audible pinking from the engine!

Have any of you experienced this in your MY 03's or earlier with Optimax?

Does pinking cause damage?

Any recommended solutions/views?

TimboMY03
Old 24 March 2003, 12:20 PM
riffer
Scooby Newbie

They do say that ya should only use higher octane fuels if you have a jap imported car, as the octane in jap is usually bout 00 - 02, maybe thats your problem, british cars are made to handle 95 ron...
Old 24 March 2003, 12:25 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you should say whether this is a UK car or not.

No, it shouldn't be detting (pinking) and yes it is bad for the engine.

Are you sure its det, and not a heat shield rattle? Is it low down in the rev range or high up?
Old 24 March 2003, 12:31 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

If its a uk car i would take it back to the garage where you bought it... it should not be pinking especially on optimax..!

Dan
Old 24 March 2003, 12:39 PM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Chiark,

It's a UK car. I'm pretty sure it isn't anything other than pinking and it seems to present when underload at low to mid revs and seems to disappear at high revs (5,000+ ish). although when I'm at high revs I tend to be more focused on the driving rather than suspected pinking. :-)

TimMY03

PS. What damage could it cause?
Old 24 March 2003, 12:45 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

major engine failure..!! det is a turbo engines worst enemy..!!!

info from powerengineering web site.

The explosion caused when fuel and air meet a spark plug with a lightning bolt going across it is combustion. The leading edge of that explosion is called the flame front. If this flame front hits the piston crown when the piston is still travelling upwards there is a sound shock wave which sounds like pinging, hence the name. (Don't ask where "pinking" comes from.) This shock wave is so powerful it can crack a piston. It usually breaks the piston between rings 1 and 2 causing vertical cracks on the ring lands. This is called "ignition det". There are other reasons for detonation such as incorrect spark plugs, too high boost pressure, weak mixture and some others, but it gets a bit involved.
Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 3/24/2003 12:46:56 PM]
Old 24 March 2003, 01:45 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I wonder if its a heatshield rattling somewhere, as these cars typically det higher up the rev range.

Whatever, get to a dealer ASAP for your own peace of mind. Yes, it's covered by warranty but if you're not happy it's a brand spanking new car and it should be perfect to your satisfaction.

GOod luck, and here's hoping it's something simple rattling.

Nick.
Old 24 March 2003, 03:05 PM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Nick & Dan,

Thanks for you advice, I have subsequently spoken to my local dealer who echo's Dans statement on potential damage caused by the pinking. I'm not sure if you're aware or remember but I posted about a week ago about the fact I had overfilled with oil to the oil when hot nick/mark. The mechanic now thinks the pinking could be related to the overfill causing oil vapour to coat the solenoids therefore potentially getting overboost which is causing the pinking?!

Thanks again

TimboMY03
Old 24 March 2003, 03:10 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I understand it, pinking is not the same as 'detting', and is to a certain extent less harmfull, but should still be rectified asap.
Old 24 March 2003, 03:12 PM
st
Scooby Regular

The 03WRX is optimised for 98Ron fuel not 97Ron.

ST
Old 24 March 2003, 03:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The 03WRX is optimised for 98Ron fuel not 97Ron
Agreed, but it is supposed to be quite happy on 95, just produce less power. Anyhow, that's not the issue.

The good news is that your car is fully warrantied, and anything that could happen is covered. The bad news is that you're not happy, and also that it will take a little of your time to sort. I'd take it to a dealer, any dealer, say you ahve a problem and persuade a mechanic to come out for a run with you. At least you can confirm the diagnosis at that point, then it's up to the garage to fix it.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 24 March 2003, 04:20 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Timbo, I find it hard to believe that having just spent that amount of money on a car only to find you have idiots preparing it for your use that you haven't thrown it back at them and told them to sort it.

This is why dealers get away with it.

They've made the problem, they should sort it, totally free and with a courtesy car supplied if necessary.