Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi TT hijacking in Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2003, 06:20 PM
opelcorsa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it is not Scooby related but this week in Hamilton a young lady was stopped in Hamilton and was approached by two YOOFS.
On approaching the car they threatened her with a knife and demanded the keys.
What concearns me is that my wife drives the Scoob during the day and although she locks the doors what the hell should she do?

Any previous experience of this and any advice on what she should do apart from keeping my wife and weans safe and giving the tossers the keys.

helpfull replies please guys and galls.
Old 28 February 2003, 06:29 PM
sensemagic
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

I was stopped at a red light up in Armadale, where a bunch of 'yoofs' were hanging around at the corner, drinking, and generally being loud.

Two of them walked up towards the car, so I just took off through the red light... (lateish at night - nothing coming).

I wouldn't take the chance, even with the doors locked and windows up. They might kick or scratch the car anyway.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Philip.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:35 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I've started actually defensively positioning my car if I see such behaviour and sometimes do it if I know i'm in a dodgy area.

Dunno if anyone else knows what I talking about but I'm talking about making sure you have an escape route, being stuck in with other cars and being attacked isnt going to help, so make sure you have enough room to pull forward/back so you can do a U turn or 3 point turn to get out of the way. Stuff like that

I've had a few moments when idiots in other cars who i've inadvertently p***ed off by driving past them (people think you over take them to annoy them, but you dont, you're just going faster!), and I know that if I end up in traffic next to them they'll start getting worse, so i took steps to make sure they werent anywhere near me at the next set of lights.

Just basically being aware of whats around you, knowing what might happen well in advance and giving yourself an exit is always a good idea.

Dunno if I made sense but might help someone?
Old 28 February 2003, 08:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wise words indeed, always have an escape route.

Drive past your house if a car has followed you for some distance - just drive around, even park up (engine running) outside a house which isnt yours!! they will clock where you 'apparently' live to come back later!

With respect to driving past cars and then they catch up and are pi55ed off - just do what I do ...... sit tall and make yourself look like a 20 stone gorilla oooops that IS what I look like!! Lucky then!

If you are a Spotty 12 stone IT 'Consultant' with Gold Wheels just DONT, for your own safety, overtake ANYONE!!

Pete
Old 28 February 2003, 08:50 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

hehe Pete, I'm a 16stone IT Manager

But regardless of how big or little you are it makes sense not to get into anything, 10 years ago you might get away with a fist fight but now, an 11 stone 17 year old could easily pull a weapon on you and you're stuffed.
Old 28 February 2003, 09:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Youre NOT stuffed if you are 20 stone AND carrying

A quick flash of a blade in the 'poor' drivers hand does wonders If you get my drift?

Pete
Old 28 February 2003, 10:05 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone got their Nissan Primera nicked at 3:00 in the afternoon in Milton Keynes at knife point.

They must have been on drugs as I thought they'd be after TVR Chimeras instead.

F
Old 28 February 2003, 10:26 PM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Best advice is to keep the doors locked. Recent spate of crimes in the South Birmingham area where kids walk up to cars stuck in traffic and open doors and steal whatever they can.
Illustrated to me by a friendly copper who walked up and opened drivers door before I saw he was there to make a point.
Thats what the central locking is for.
Old 01 March 2003, 08:03 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Yup, my scooby locks me in once I start the engine, its standard on my 99 turbo but had to be enabled.
Old 01 March 2003, 08:43 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

UHF - wise advice.

Having already posted in Pete Lewis' other thread today, it pays to be careful. Working in Slough makes you *very* aware of your position on the road. There have been more incidents than I care to remember and there have been many occassions stuck in traffic watching 'yoofs' cruise down the path looking into all the cars - not good.

I always make sure I can clearly see the wheels of the car in front - this means I have enough room to get out if I have to.

Sad that you have to think like this, but it is essential. There are even signs posted in our company car park telling people to drive with their windows up and doors locked. At our company alone, we have had cars broken into (supposed to be a secure car park ), mugging in the car park, passenger window smashed as someone exited the car park - case nicked, one car jacking at gun point.... The list goes on. Christ, I must stop working in Slough

Chris
Old 01 March 2003, 08:51 AM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

You could always get her (and you?) to do a defensive driving course. That should give some training in avoiding trouble in the first place. Try speaking to the police.