Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed warranty rectifications - where next?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 12:04 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've now submitted my STi7(UK) to my Dealer 4 times for rectification under warranty of the dreaded NSR Suspension rattle. The 4th submission has not resulted in a cure, only in a change of symptoms. Subaru-UK are very well aware of the ongoing saga on my - and other SN Members' - cars: in my case at Chief Operating Officer level.

Repeated submissions resulting in repeated fittings of components which do not solve the problem is not an approach which can be countenanced indefinitely. However, the problem, while intensely irritating (reinforced by the fact that now, of course, I'm listening out for the noise all the time) does not actively threaten the driveability of the car - tho' I guess there just might be an implication of possible premature component failure in the long term.

Can anyone suggest alternatives to the following

1) Put up with it and shut up, hoping that when I come to sell the car idc the buyer doesn't notice,
2) Continue to whinge and insist of rectifications under warranty until one day something works or three years are up,
3) Sort out rectification myself by fitting aftermarket parts and try to recover the cost from S-UK if successful (carries financial risk and possibility of voided warranty)

Trade and move on is NOT financially viable!! (and in any case, but for that, I'm immensely happy with the car)

(Sensible) ideas about what to do next in principal here, please, any technical suspension-related posts to the appropriate Suspension Thread.

TIA

Phil
(Mutant-Matt - your comments already hoisted aboard, thanks)
Old 05 February 2003, 12:58 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Tricky one, I beleive Arron rejected his car under the same situation. Not sure how many miles you've done to have accepted the car legally....

If you can't change it financially then keep it and turn the radio up. There would be no guarantee that aftermarket stuff would solve it and may just make things more complicated. Subaru may come up with a fix at some point anyway.

F
Old 05 February 2003, 01:27 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Keep going the number 2 route. Don't give up they have to find a fix at some point.
Old 05 February 2003, 02:14 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

tell them as they are unable to fix it that you want a full refund or new replacement car or call watch dog think of the image just launched new shape and then on watch dog about poor quality of the product.
Old 05 February 2003, 02:22 PM
BlueBlood
Scooby Regular

Wink

No 2 and insist the dealer lends you one of their Turbos while yours is being looked at.

Don't let them palm you off with one of those water bed on wheels things...Legacy that them ;-)

Old 05 February 2003, 02:25 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

its a pity we don't have the Lemon laws in the UK. These are the laws in the USA (named after Jack Lemon) whereby a dealer has to buy back a car if it spends a certain amount of time in the garage or you have x number of 'near death experiences'.

a 'near death experience' can be as little as a headlamps not working.

rd
MY01 wrx wagon worth about the same as an enron share.
Old 05 February 2003, 02:27 PM
Mr.M
Scooby Regular

<RANT ON>
M8,

I've had an unresolved warranty problem on my MY01 WRX for over 11 months now.

It's been in to the dealer network more than 10 time in the past year, causing me lost time/days from work. It still isn't resolved.

The folks at Listers ( i didn't buy the car from them) have done a great job in trying to find and cure the problem, but now they have given up and have informed me that the next step is to present the car back to the original dealer (Andrew Burt).

I asked what the outcome would be if the problem can not be rectified, the response was quite shocking. I have been told that the car will be bought back from you (at dealer prices). This means i will loose out financially and have to find extra funds in order to get back a *working* WRX.

I have called customer service at IM 3 times, not very helpful. They have done nothing to help rectify the problem, leaving it to the dealer network to resolve a problem that IMHO is totally in their control. They imported the car, the car is faulty and it should be their responsibilty to fix/replace the car.

Three weeks ago, the car broke down on the M42. The exhaust sensor failed. I had to wait over 2 weeks for a replacement part from Japan to arrive.

This was the final straw. I am now looking at selling the vehicle and taking a financial loss just to get rid of the piece of crap.

IM can go screw themselves. My next purchase is likely to be an EVO instead of a new STi which i inteded to buy 1st March.

<RANT OFF>
Old 05 February 2003, 02:32 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Keep on at the dealer to sort it, while keeping pressure on SUK.

David
Old 05 February 2003, 03:26 PM
DAZ6151
Scooby Regular

see if they will give u a replaicment untill they have fixed the prob as that is there job espesh as the way they rant on how wonderfull there waranty is and every thing will be fixed by there "experts" keep at em mate as its ur pride and joy u shouldnt let them fob u off.

Darren
Old 05 February 2003, 04:49 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

This will **** em.

You are entitled to a loan car of equal or better standard to yours whilst yours is off the road. Tell them to take yours away and fix and give you a loan car and they can have that back when they are finished. That way they have a financial interest in getting the problem sorted.

Failing that - I don't know how long you have had the car but you could go for a rejection, putting the time delay down to giving SUK reasonable time to rectify the fault.

Do Not R Do Not accept a trade in or buy back unless they are very favourable terms - ie getting retail value for yours against a new car.

Stu...
Old 05 February 2003, 05:35 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Phil,

The other angle of attack, whilst maintaining the dealer and SUK pressure is to try and get FHI to do something about it. Find out who is the top bod @ FHI along with who is in charge of Subaru Japan (a division of FHI) and make as much fuss as you can there.

You could also try writing to Watchdog, Top Gear etc. and cc these letters to the dealer, SUK (Ed Swatman and everyone else that you have been dealing with) and generally make a pain of yourself. It looks to me like the reasonable approach has not worked so perhaps it's time to get ****ty!

Perhaps you can even get Trading Standards involved? I don't know but those kind of options may be worth thinking about.....

As ever, good luck m8!!

Matt
Old 05 February 2003, 05:38 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Another thought,

Perhaps you could convince IM to get Prodrive to take a look at it? It seems obvious that the Importer/Dealer network is failing you so perhaps they could help (after all, they do know a thing or two about cars and Subaru's specifically )

Also, if you have the option of going elsewhere for 3rd party help (check with CAB/Motoring Solicitor to see if this is the case), Lotus know a thing or two about suspension work and if IM are paying.....

Just a thought,

Matt
Old 05 February 2003, 05:50 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Phil

Why not ask the dealer to arrange the Regional Service Manager to visit the dealer whilst you and the car are there. I know him very well and he is very helpful. If you can demonstrate the fault to him I'm sure you'll be well on the way to a fix, as he can raise the issue with SUK's tech department, and they can contact Japan if required.

David
Old 05 February 2003, 05:52 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Get on the phone to trading standards, they will advise you all the right things to say / do.

This car isn't fit for the purpose sold and under the sales of goods act is not of satisfactory quality.

Had problems once with a 306 GTi-6, gave the car back, handed them the keys with a formal letter of rejection. I had only had the car for a few months though.

Whenever your car is in for repair under warranty, the dealer must ensure you aren't out of pocket in any way (i.e missing work, hiring a car, taxi, bus, train etc.

As time goes on it gets more difficult to reject the car, if it is taken back then they will usually not give you full refund due to wear and tear and usage etc..

If you haven't had it too long, give it back to the dealer. You have the right to your money back or to a replacament vehicle.

Bogie

PS Take no sh*t, you are the customer.
Old 05 February 2003, 06:02 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the above, chaps (and any chapesses there may have been )

As it happens, I've already once been down the road of chucking a vehicle in!! My MY00 wagon had continual drivetrain faults resulting in exactly that outcome after 12 submissions for work in 13 months. I got the full PX from the dealer and an ex gratia payment from S-UK of the difference between the PX and the forecourt price of an exact age-for-age, mileage-for-mileage X-reg wagon. Strings were - had to buy a Subaru, and from my Dealer at that. I was happy enough about the first, but less happy about the second, as my Dealer didn't have a like-for-like. Which is where the STi7(UK) came in ....... with the rattle

I suffer, therefore, from the intense embarrassment of this being the second Subaru in succession with which I've had to deal with a drip, drip, drip of failed rectifications, particularly as I have absolutely no problems with the Dealership themselves. However, unlike the MY00 Wagon, this isn't actually a fault which threatens to leave me stranded by the roadside at the drop of a hat or (worse) put me into an RTA which isn't my fault.

Co55ie - got any Chapter and Verse on your reported "3 strikes and you're out" rule??

Of the above, give it back (specifically) to Subaru-UK, insisting on a like-for-like temporary replacement and refusing to take it back until it's cured seems the best line.

Any other ideas??

TIA

Phil
Old 05 February 2003, 06:06 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

You're lucky! At least you're in with a chance.

You should try claiming £6500 off Warranty Holdings when your Sti goes bang....

Russ (summons issued....)
Old 05 February 2003, 06:18 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Answers flooding in, even as I composed my most recent reply!!

Quickies....
1) My Dealer always gives me an Impreza Sport... can't really complain - it's one of many reasons I have no beef with him!
2) Regional Service Manager has visited the car twice already, and validated the complaint.
3) Trading Standards produced masses of bureaucratic bumf last time round, so I don't really rate them.
4) Bogie - I've had the car 10 months now so I think I'm out of (reasonable) time: indeed, I drew the line with the Wagon at 1 year 1 Month (December/Xmas intervening) partly on grounds of how long was reasonable to continue to use the car. Given the likely outcome, I can't afford to make up the price to an STi8/PPP, even if it's based on PX-Plus (remember, I've already had to trade unexpectedly once in the last year!!!)

Sigh.....

Phil
Old 05 February 2003, 06:58 PM
motorman
Scooby Regular

Phil,

If you are hoping that Subaru come up with a fix you have more faith in them than I do.

After waiting six months for the new clutch kit for the MY00 I finally told by the dealer this week that there isn't to be one!! Again, I know the fault is more an irritation than a safety issue / show stopper but things like this shouldn't happen.

It seems clear that even the dealers don't know what is happening within SUK / Subaru Japan, look at all the discussions that went on about the hesitation issue with MY00's, it was basically left to someone outside of Subaru to come up with the fix.

Like you I am based in Kent and I've been reasonably happy with the way the dealer does things, but after reading all the hype back in the late 90's about how high customer satisfaction was with Subaru, I wonder what went wrong.

Anyway good luck with resolving your problem, I hope that you manage to sort it without having to dip into your own pocket.

Jon
Old 05 February 2003, 07:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

what have they done to it exactly what did they replace?
Old 05 February 2003, 07:59 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Scoobyboy:

5 different dampers including original
3 (4?) different topmounts including original
2 sets springs including original

Perhaps this is one for the Suspension Board thread??

Jon: YHM

Phil

Old 06 February 2003, 12:30 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Moving along the consensus line - Regional Service Manager will drive again and, if no further solution in sight, car's going to W Bromwich (or wherever) .

Phil
Old 02 May 2003, 05:23 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

Legally you have to give Subaru 3 attempts to rectify the problem. If they fail after 3 attempts then you are entitled to take the car to someone else of your choosing to try and remedy the fault at Subaru's expense.As posted above whilst the remdial work is being carried out Subaru will need to lend you a car. Subaru will not like this but thats the way it is.

[Edited by co55ie - 2/5/2003 5:26:36 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 05:47 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

You are entitled to a loan car of equal or better standard to yours whilst yours is off the road
err not true. Dealers do not have to provide a car, under the terms and conditions of Subaru UK's warranty. Most do a 'free loan car'.

David

[Edited by Shark - 2/5/2003 5:51:18 PM]