Sponsored by:

Snow, Ice, Downhill.....Bump

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2003, 08:40 AM
Beefy McMoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Anyone know the cost of a new WRX MY02 front bumper?
Old 31 January 2003, 09:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

**** mate, hope you get it sorted. No chance of repairing it then?

(anecdote: there was almost a similar post 3 and a bit years ago from me... Car was 3 days old, first snow of the winter. Going down a hill at 5-10mph, car is parked on my side of road, transit is coming up hill. I brake. Nothing happens. I brake. Nothing happens. Transit driver sees my panic, and stops whilst I steer around the parked car...

From that day, I won't bad-mouth transit drivers too much

Hope u get it sorted.
Nick.
Old 31 January 2003, 10:16 AM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

Much better the front bumper is damaged and needs to be replaced then one of the tow hooks being grounded. 2 Weeks in a body shop just to fix.

Si
Old 31 January 2003, 10:32 AM
Beefy McMoo
Scooby Newbie

It was a sharp left turn downhill, the rest of the road was just wet, and a bit slushy, this hill in shade was a sheet of ice. The car just slid, could'nt turn, the abs was fecking sh*te and I went into the side of a nice soft nissan micra, at about 2Mph. She got a dented door plus wing. All my scooby got was a slight crease in the bumper plus some black marks where the paint came off. Maybe the bumper can be repaired rather than replaced, i dunno.
If anybody knows the roads around Berkhamsted then watch out for this turn, just passed the golf clubs.
Old 31 January 2003, 10:48 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

ABS is ****e in this weather, especially with the nice wide tyres on an Impreza - it just turns the car into a 1300kg sledge. It's especially treacherous coming up to a T-junction when you're on an un-gritted sideroad.
Old 31 January 2003, 01:47 PM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Scicotty,
2 Weeks in a body shop just to fix.

I think you mean 1 DAY OR SO TO FIX IT AND ALMOST 2 WEEKS TO THRASH THE LIFE OUT OF AN UNSUSPECTING CUSTOMERS CAR.

OH well !

Old 31 January 2003, 04:00 PM
Esoteric Beast
Scooby Regular

Whats ABS

The only ABS i have on mine is me pumping the pedal up and down
Old 31 January 2003, 04:56 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

I don't know if this is the correct method but the whole of the front of the car was removed just so they could remove the section of the subframe that the tow hook attaches to and replace it. this is what all the time was for. From memory everything on the front of the car was removed including bumper, lights and aircon system.

It was an insurance job so this was probably the reason. They also never trashed the car as I visited the place it was being repaired on a number of occassion without them knowing to see what was happening.

Si
Old 31 January 2003, 05:05 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Funny enough (not)..... i bumped my sti7 this morning.... leaving the hotel car park, 2nd corner i had to drive round, downhill 90 left, 5mph....(honest)

turned in understeered on sheet ice - ABS made the car go faster to the curb - no time for handbrake - and then banged the o/s rim of the curb - this has but a big dent in the rim, bent the steering arm and looks to have broke the alloy wishbone. Seriously weak i recon.... :<

I must say Subaru Assitance have been good.... picked the car up and its been dropped at the dealer in Chelmsford and i now have a pristeen Zafira as a thrash-car ......

I feel this may be expensive...... - boo hoo

Ids

PS. Whoevers getting the new STi 8 Blue/Black that they were cleaning up ready - DONT DO THE SAME AS ME

Edited to say - came accross the roads north of the m25 to come home up the m40. Blimey i can see why some of the roads must be in a bad way - on the A414 west of Chelmsford the snow drifts that had been cleared were pretty deep. got to Aylesbury and there was nothing at all on the ground and nothing at home either. Bummer.

[Edited by ids - 1/31/2003 5:06:26 PM]

[Edited by ids - 1/31/2003 5:19:17 PM]