Dealers and boost gauges

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2000, 12:03 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich,

This is rubbish.

As long as the pipework is intact, there is absolutely nothing to go wrong. There is no sensor to install, just a rubber tube which feeds through the bulkhead to the gauge itself.

The only potential problem is if you tee the boost gauge hose from the boost control solenoid connection, and it all comes apart. If your car has a spare tap on the manifold, there isn't any need to do this, and you can make the connection secure with a tie-wrap or clip.

I am about to fit the official Lamco/Sti gauge to my MY98 UK this weekend - it looks DIYable, so I'll post back to this thread to let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 23 February 2000, 09:41 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi All,

I know where to buy boost gauges but am confused about who can fit them and any possible problems with the Subaru warranty.

I phoned my Subaru dealer to ask about aftermarket boost gauges and was told that they are not allowed to fit them as it may invalidate the Subaru warranty should something go wrong with the engine/turbo etc near to where the gauge sensor is fitted.

I even asked whether I could get the official STI ones - answer was no (same reason)

Has anybody got a gauge fitted by a dealer? Any problems with warranty? Any suggestions where I could get one fitted for a UK car MY00?

Cheers,
Rich.
Old 23 February 2000, 09:49 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, gauge sensor ? I have an STi boost gauge that i fitted myself, there is a blanked off pipe on the inlet manifold that is put on the car for this purpose, the instructions for the gauge clearly indicate thats where you are supposed to put it on a 99 or newer car. You would only need a sensor if you were fitting an electronic one???

Would be interested to hear what possible damage could be caused by a boost gauge ? as long as you make sure the connections are good, nothing can go wrong that i know of.
Old 23 February 2000, 02:08 PM
SteveM
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rich,

I am getting the PE boost gauge and pod fitted by my dealer as we speak.
Nothing was said about warranty problems, although i must admit i didn't ask.

I won't be picking the car up for 2 weeks but if all goes ok, which it should, i'll let you know.

SteveM
Old 23 February 2000, 02:43 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

This is an idiot "catch-all" response.

the dealer is correct in that a bad job may result in engine damage but this is true of any job - even wiring a stereo in badly may cause electrical fires !!

The problem would be if
a) the hose was put in the wrong place and interfered with the operation of the car
b) the hose came off or leaked.

dealers arent stupid (generally ) if your headlights fail they arent going to blame it on your boost gauge to get out of warranty !!!

But an engine or sensor failure due to a leak in a gauge pipe - obviously the dealer is entitled to argue the case with you.
Old 23 February 2000, 07:46 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

If its using a sensor then it will probably be an electronic Boost gauge (such as a spa design one.)Which as already mentioned can be fitted to the spare outlet on the manifold.

You don't even have to drill the manifold to fit the sensor.If anydody needs details e-mail me .

mike
Old 24 February 2000, 12:04 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Rich, if you want I'll meet up with you and have it fitted within half an hour to an hour.

Dan
Old 24 February 2000, 08:27 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. I will probably try to fit one myself - If I can work out which end is which

Alex - Good luck, let me know how you get on!

Cheers
Rich.
Old 24 February 2000, 03:20 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dan!

Will email you when I have the gauge. I should be around your way in a couple of weeks time.

Rich.
Old 28 February 2000, 12:07 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I used the lower down one, couldnt even see the higher up gromet on my MY99, i still ended up dropping the gromet on the undertray, but a torch and a flexible brothers arm, recovered it Then it was the fun of putting it back in, oh dear 25 minutes later and very scuffed knuckles it was in, and sealed off with the grey putty stuff they provide with the kit.

Hmm, the 98 didnt have the spare outlet i think, its right next to the other one, with a small bit of rubber stuck on it, the instructions said a piece of pipe, but it was 1 inch long and closed at the other end, so i dont really count that as a pipe

You could try your local dealer they should be able to get you a gromet, or any motor factors place should have standard gromets roughly the right size.
Old 28 February 2000, 12:37 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Aha! So thats what the grey putty stuff was for...
Old 28 February 2000, 10:57 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have fitted a Lamco/Sti boost gauge this weekend without too much difficulty. The trickiest bits was getting the top of the steering column shroud off. This necessitated undoing the bolts holding the steering column on, which sounds more alarming than it was . Getting the hose through one of the gromets on the bulkhead also caused much swearing and skinned knucles .

The power feed for the backlight was taken from the switched 12v line of the rear foglight switch, so the gauge comes on with the main lighting.

For those that don't know this package, it is housed in a small rubber pod on the steering column shroud about the left stalk. I'm very pleased with the finished result, and although the gauge is small, it is mounted closer to the driver to compensate and is easily readable through the steering wheel.

The only caveat is that the instructions are in Japanese, but the diagrams are sufficiently self-explanitory for most to follow.

Rgds,

Alex
Old 28 February 2000, 11:01 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have the Lamco STi gauge as well Alex, my instructions were in English though ??? That f****** gromet is a right b****** though isnt it

Only thing i did differently was on the spare outlet on the manifold, when i put the pipe on, i used a cable tie, to stop anything untoward happening.
Old 28 February 2000, 11:41 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Ian,

Hmm... I suspect I missed something in the incomprehensible and copious japanese text which expands on the diagrams...

Which grommet did you use? There are two likely candidates - one which is immediately below the master cylinder and partially hidden behind a rats nest of brake pipes, and another which is blanked off about six inches lower. I chose the former, and very quickly wished I hadn't. I cut through the grommet to allow me to extract it, feed the cable and hose back through, and glue it back togther. Sounds like a plan, but of course I've dropped it somewhere and it is now resting on the undertray. Bugger .
Any ideas where I could get a replacement?

I couldn't find the seperate blanked off connection on the manifold, so I tee'd off the fuel pressure regulator connection, as per the instructions - am I just being crap at finding it, or does a MY98 UK not have a spare take-off?

Rgds,

Alex