Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time scooby buyer shopping list, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2002, 11:07 PM
timb551
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically I am going to be buying my first Scooby in January. About bloody time as well

I have a few questions about mods.

My plan is to get a standard WRX hopefully M,N or P reg.

Wheels
Firstly if want 18's. Do they go straight on? Will it need lowering (or look like a land rover) and if so, can I get just lowering springs or do I need shocks as well.

Body Work
Next is spoiler and colour coding. I live in Essex and I want a WRC spoiler and the skirts colour coded. Does anyone know of a local place in which I can get this done?

Exhaust
I fancy a HKS Super dragger (decatted). Is this one any good, is it to loud (poss. motorway driving). I’m after a lot of noise but I like to hear myself think when i’m driving on a motorway If people think this exhaust is a bad idea can they advise otherwise?

Induction Kit
Any good? Which one?

Dump Valve
Haven’t had a turbo car before so I think I will get a dump valve for at least a few weeks before I get totally fed up with the noise Is the Baileys EVO one good enough?

Brakes
I have a relatively good budget but I think a 4 pot brake upgrade is a little too expensive. What about up rated pads and disks?

After all that will the car need setting up on a rolling road, with exhaust and induc added.

Anything else anyone can think of I would be most grateful.

All these mods will be happening within the first 2 weeks of ownership so I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Tim
Old 06 December 2002, 12:53 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

1)
get used to the car before any mods the car will be fairly well balanced brakes/engine/suspension
2)
Upgrade brakes first four pots a must then S/S Braide hoses
3)
upgrade suspension Four wheel alignment/ lowered 18" wheels
4)
Lights ( there are poor
5)
induction kit
6) Exhaust loud doesn't make more power.
7) there is a dump valve fitted as STD but it dumps back into system the one that goes Piisssssssssed is dump to Atmosphere and only small gains but great annoyance in my humbe opinion

but you pays you money and............. intirely up to you

Tony

Ps Enjoy
Old 06 December 2002, 10:43 AM
timb551
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying mate. Basically, i have driven my mates scooby, so with regards to getting used to it i should be ok

I want to get these mods done as soon as possible, cause i will have about 3 weeks before i will be driving the scoobs full time so it will be more difficult to get stuff done.

Can anyone go into specifics with regards to my questions. thanks
Old 06 December 2002, 01:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

SIDC faq is good 4 general info & sum mod advice. For more upto date info u may have more joy searching for the partocular topics & also have a butchers at drivetrain etc sections
Ref zaust noise Blitz Nurspec R (centre & back box) is the daddy of loud with silencer out & quite reasonable on the motorway with it in (although fekin neighbours r still moaning bleedin tart shud work days not nights if only i didnt rent garage off his old man ) anyway i'd also agree brakes on the earlier models r a good upgrade & may as well do the braided lines @ same time which will also need bigger wheels, not sure if 18"s will need suspension upgrade kuz of extra weight at same time lights if u want slightly better illuminations philips vision plus r quality & 4 £20 with side lights tiz all good I wood also suggest a quick shift as it makes gear changes feel much more sporty I have B&M un which is pretty extreme but damn good n all but there r plenty of choices
Basically the list is endless wots yer budget
Si
Old 06 December 2002, 01:05 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& induction kits r a bit risky on MY99+ or at least they can be, but then they can be on any model bit of pot luck from various threads off here with regards the MAF. I went with ITG panel filter which is marginally better supposedly but the noise from cone style kits is gr8 & since i have a MY97 i may change that n all soon
Si
Old 06 December 2002, 02:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Righttttt......
Ok so what we have here is that your looking for an MY95/96 WRX scoob, 260ps (on 100ron rated fuel, around 257bhp or with 97 ron around 250bhp) as standard (unless you get a wagon and thats less).
The basics first though.
Check out the insurance, make sure that the insurance co will cover the car with modifications also
Fuel.... Super unleaded fuel only for these cars (97+ron rated and octane booster if possible )
Servicing.... your pretty lucky as Scoobysport are not going to be that far from you any parts that are required wont be obtainable from ANY UK Subaru dealer as they dont touch Jap cars (only official UK cars). Servicing is twice yearly (just to make you aware if your already not ) and can cost a packet depending on which service your going to have done to the car (up to and above 500 quid!)
Agree with the points about lights/brakes etc, upgrade these before you add d/v, exhaust etc as you will benefit from stopping quicker than having more power and less stopping ability.
There are lots of dogs of WRX's out there, even the ones coming off the boat from Japan cannot be seen as perfect, only shopping around and doing as much research into what you want will get you the car you desire (plus if its just off the boat then its still restricted to 112mph but can be sorted at Scoobysport )
Loud exhausts are great for a while
It wears off along with the dump valve, it does become tiring on any journey of subsequence (ie over 50 miles and you may end up deaf)
Learn how to drive your impreza when you get her, its like a woman, treat her right and know the moves and what she likes and doesnt like (ie braking in corners aint a good move, just like not giving your missus a big birthday pressie!!) and take it gently until you get use to the way the car delivers the power and handles.

Tony
PS, the following will be on your shopping list

1. Tracking system and decent cat1 alarm (fitted is better).
2. Disklok.
3. A kind bank manager
4. A kind insurance company
5. A remapped ecu.
6. Uprated suspension.
7. A full decat system.
8. Bigger alloys (though too big does affect the ride and handling of the car, ie 18's are not as good as 17's for ride and handling but look good )
9. Brakes and pads.
10. Lights (and dont drive with the fogs on, people look like prats when they do
11. How much money have you got to spend? its going to go into modifications if your insurance co is nice

Old 06 December 2002, 02:19 PM
timb551
Scooby Regular

cheers tony.

Some good points thanks.

I basically have about 12k to spend on car and mods. with a bit more cash coming half way through next year. Ive got plenty of time to look for one so hopefully will find a pretty nice one. I have been on the scooby sport website and had a look around, very close to me, so sounds promising.

Insurance is going to be expensive, but your only young once. Not going to worry to much about it though, no point going through life worrying!!

Beside ive got my mates to keep up with lol

I suppose its down to me now to find a decent one. If i can find one with wheels etc already done then less for me to do, but getting a standard one and doing what i want to do to it, does appeal.

tim
Old 06 December 2002, 02:32 PM
wos 69
Scooby Regular

tony,
my 18" wheels handle very well. alan g will tell you
in fact i asked what suspension i should use and he said
it had a good set up as it was, so leave it. car oo classic.
cheers
murray.
Old 06 December 2002, 02:44 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

tony - are wagons less powerful than saloon wrxs of the era we are talking about here? if so what makes them slower?
weava
Old 06 December 2002, 03:36 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Would agree with Tony. 17s are supposed to be optimum for road use. However I know a few people with 18s and they have no problems.

The two key weak points as mentioned are lights and brakes
1. Fit new bulbs.
2. 4 pot brake upgrade makes alot of difference. I would suggest finding a car that has already had it done or if not run with two pots and put good pads and discs on untill you get round to a brake upgrade. I could not afford The £1200-1400ish for a full upgrade but what I did was get hold of some second hand STi 4 pot callipers and pins and put Pagid grooved discs and Pagid Blue pads with them. This has worked very well and cost me about £600ish
3. Would go to a place like Bruntingthorpe with Don Palmer or another advanced instructor and chuck your car about to get a real feel for what it will and won't do. I am sure that you are a V good driver but coming from RWD I found various courses have helped me get the most out of the car safely.
4. Tyres make a big differnce. Type and pressures. I swear but Goodyear F1s many people use SO2/SO3s so either of these a must.
I run 33psi allround. People often run between 32-34psi and differ from fronts and backs. Their are many mixed opions of what pressures you should run. But this gives you an idea. Don't use Pirreli P Zeros...as you will probably crash!!
5. Then go for other mods - induction/exhaust first. Scoobysport and Blitz systems both sound great but could be a bit wearing on the ears.

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Steve
Old 06 December 2002, 04:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Mista,
upto around the MY97 when the wrx's got 280ps the early wagons ran 240ps or even 220ps, but when the hike came for the MY95 saloons the wagons stayed 240ps compared to 260ps.
Think some of the early models also had a td04 turbo (only found this out a week or two ago!) so smaller and less energetic than the TD05 used in the early WRX's.

Tony
Old 06 December 2002, 04:31 PM
timb551
Scooby Regular

I think your right about the 17's steve, bit more practical, especially with the quality of roads where i live.

I think wheels will be one of the first things i do, cause i cant really put up with the standard wheels, in my own opinion they are pretty crap looking.

Ill stick decent pads and discs in to start off with, then perhaps keep my eyes open for a brake up grade on scoobynet, i see one or two now and again.

I like the idea of a track day, ive got a rally course on saturday week but i dont think that will really help me with my road driving
Old 06 December 2002, 05:10 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Tim, have a look in the For Sale section at JayRaj's WRX. Its the facelift model (exterior and interior) with the full 276bhp, lots of tasty bits and cheap. Way better than the earlier cars too. If you've got 12k to spend, buy that and the rest of the cash on mods will give you an absolute monster!!

Also agree, get 17s not 18s.
Old 06 December 2002, 05:26 PM
timb551
Scooby Regular

Looks perfect but i very much doubt he will still have it in January.