Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Prodrivelive v Bill Gwyne for Xmas Pressie

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 12:42 AM
Spooky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeesh, in that case I take back everything I said, apart from the previous point that the pedal on the real cars is as hard as nails. At least the real cars will stop when you press it though.

It's been said that the PDL cars have something like 350bhp - is that correct or are they standard in that respect too?

I suppose at end of day that PDL's typical Red Letter Day type target customer isn't going to notice, but someone used to a well-sorted road Impreza certainly would. Wouldn't expect to get near a WRC or Gp A car for 250 notes though, that's plain unrealistic.

Either way, it puts the recommendation even further towards Gwynnie's or the Forest Experience...

[Edited by Spooky - 12/4/2002 12:44:24 AM]
Old 03 December 2002, 10:58 AM
met
Scooby Regular

My girlie has offered to pay for a rally/track driving effort for my xmas pressie
I know this has been done before but i need to let her know tonight so i can book it tommorow so please can anyone tell me more about either thanks in advance
Old 03 December 2002, 11:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I think that Prodrive live may be more of an "experience" IMHO, its a very limited and quite exclusive event
There are a few people who have been (i think that Dave T-S has attended so you could get some info off him ) and i believe they enjoyed it

Tony
Old 03 December 2002, 11:18 AM
met
Scooby Regular

the prodrive one looks more tame, round a track a few times couple of hours etc not sure if i fancy that, the bill gwyne one seems more like it, a good hearty thrash round a rally stage? any one been on either which is best vfm, the prodrive is 250 on last minute & the bill gwyne i think is 350 for a day
Old 03 December 2002, 05:33 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Been on the Prodrive Live day. I didn't think it was that great as althought you get to go in a STI 7 but its only 8-10 laps (from memory) on a very short twisty (2-3 gear only) tarmac stage with no brakes(ABS and servo disconnected and rally rubber) or thats what it felt like. Then a bit of off roading in a clapped out landrover BORING and then for the rest of it you use your own car!!!!.
1 go at an auto test route.
A few laps on the outer circuit with an instructor present OK and a go on a skid pan OK.
For the rally experience I would suggest that Bill Gwynne would be much more fun and better value from what I've heard or go and do a track day in your own car, Like Bedford.
Old 03 December 2002, 06:09 PM
Simon220
Scooby Regular

I did the Prodrivelive experience.

Was good i thought. Me and my bro were there and had an instructor and whole track to ourselves.

We took turns driving in both a BMW 330d on the skid surface and the Scooby. Loads of laps round the big track including several by the instructor. He was a freelance instructor and bloody good, flciking the back end out and going round most corners looking out of the side windows

The 'rally stage' was also a laugh.

Would of been much better if i was more confident in the brakes though!! THEY WERE %h!t! Rock hard and you couldnt even get the front to dive at all even if you pushed as hard as you could. Bad idea I reckon. WOuld of been much more fun otherwise.

Was a good day though. Don't think the car is as powerful as they make out though. I drive a 240bhp Rover 220 Turbo and the Scoob didnt feel much faster.

Luckily i didnt go on the pooey landrover bit

Si
Old 03 December 2002, 08:32 PM
Spooky
Scooby Regular

met wrote...
the prodrive one looks more tame, round a track a few times couple of hours etc not sure if i fancy that, the bill gwyne one seems more like it, a good hearty thrash round a rally stage? any one been on either which is best vfm, the prodrive is 250 on last minute & the bill gwyne i think is 350 for a day
Bill Gwynne's isn't a 'real' rally stage per sé, it's a rectangular dirt/dusty concrete rectangle marked out with tyres, and another slightly larger one marked out with a mix of tyres and semi-natural landmarks. Good fun though. Very slippery, if a bit nadgery.

If you want a genuine, 'proper' forest stage, you might be better off going to the Higgins' Forest Experience place...
Old 03 December 2002, 08:42 PM
Spooky
Scooby Regular

Simon220 wrote...
Would of been much better if i was more confident in the brakes though!! THEY WERE %h!t! Rock hard and you couldnt even get the front to dive at all even if you pushed as hard as you could. Bad idea I reckon. WOuld of been much more fun otherwise.
You booked because you wanted a genuine Prodrive rallycar experience? That's what the WRC/Group A and full house Group N cars are like. Not driven that car, but sounds like it's got a proper braking system on it.

No servo-assistance, so hard pedal and you've got to press like hell to stop it. It *will* stop though, just a case of getting used to the pressure required. Did the car have anti-lag?

Old 04 December 2002, 12:31 AM
adge
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Spooky
Thats the problem, the cars at Prodrive live are only STI's with cages and full harness's, not Group A/WRC or even Group N, so its hardly a genuine prodrive rally car experience.
The brakes are still crap though, the instructor told me they were like that on purpose to make people drive slower when they realised the brakes didn't work, it also saves on wearing the tyres.