Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running like a bag of crap

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2001, 01:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear it is running badly Phill. I don't think you need to get a MY98. Before (and after I modded it) my MY00 was running sweetly, with no hesitation/clutch judder at all when warm and an even consistent spread of torque throughout, with economy from <20mpg if pushing to >30mpg if not. So MY00's can run nicely honest!

Dealer should be able to find the error codes/faults and sort you out with a sweet running Scooby.
Old 06 October 2001, 06:12 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahahaha if tileys do half of it you'll be lucky
Old 06 October 2001, 07:31 PM
Neil Barnes
Scooby Regular

Tiley's will just reset the ECU and then give it back to you with no fault found.
I they can do any thing with the hesitation or loss of power you will be the only one that they could fix . I tried for a year to get this fixed and they never did

Neil
Old 06 October 2001, 08:08 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

scoobyboy,

What are you saying Tileys can't but Listers can? Please, I don't believe that for one second...... Listers seems to supply my company, yet quoted a grand above what I paid!! I have every confidence in Tileys sorting it out, but depends on Subaru UK!!!

Neil Barnes,

Do you thinks so, as I tried to explain I've already done this (myself) countless times, and had no joy!!!!

john banks,

I'm driving to Edinburgh next Sunday and staying Monday as well, would really like to meet you mate

Cheers Phill C

Old 06 October 2001, 08:53 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Babber,

Mine is in Tileys on Wednesday also, to replace some bearings in the gearbox having had the clutch replaced a few weeks ago! So I know about problems with our scoobies. Anyway, bad and all these irritations may be, I'm sure we will be glad to get back into them at the end of the week having spent a few days driving the JUSTIES eh?

Jerome MY00
Old 07 October 2001, 11:32 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

TTT
Old 07 October 2001, 01:13 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

well they should at least recharge the air con also checking the pollen filters if fitted

remove door trims and refit window actuator replacing if need be

check out the 02 sensor for the running rich problem and loss of mpg

replace clutch and flywheel if still in warranty for the clutch judder

they won't find any fault with with the bulbs

and you'll get a copy of the bullitin about normal operating characteristics of the turbo engine
Old 07 October 2001, 02:07 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

scoobyboy,

Apparently if you've got air con. you can't have a pollen filter, or so I've been told!!!

They are disputing the clutch and flywheel saying Subaru UK won't have none of it We shall see about that!!

A technical bulletin won't help me, when it was new it was fine. Started playing up after the last service, even more 15k

I want to phone Subaru UK and give them some ****....... This is bloody stupid, if it's broken they should bloody fix it....

Cheers Phill C
Old 07 October 2001, 04:40 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

>Windows clunking on Drivers and Passenger >side, when winding down about half way down

get some silicon grease and rub it into the little triangular trim at the front of both windows where the windows slides, that'll fix the clunk when the windows are lowered.
Old 07 October 2001, 10:13 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Any more views ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 08 October 2001, 09:04 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had the same clunking noise you describe on the drivers electric window and unfortunately on my car it needed a little more than lubrication.

What happened on my car was that the four bolts that hold the electric window mechanism to the door had begun to come undone, infact I only discovered this when I took the door trim off after one of the bolts had completely come undone and was rattling around in the bottom of the door.

It is important to sort this out quickly as when the bolts are loose they move around and start to wear out the holes in the door they go through.

Mine too had the clutch judder you describe and I mentioned it to my dealer and they immediately booked it in to have an updated P1 clutch fitted.

I have to say my MY00 Impreza Turbo has far more problems than I ever could have imagined and is the main reason why my next car wil definitely not be a Subaru.
Old 08 October 2001, 03:19 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

My Forester had the usual clutch judder and the dealer replaced it without any problems, the only caveat was that they wouldn't do it if the clutch was burnt out, and they asked me if I towed things too. The dealer said that Subaru UK had OK'ed all the clutch replacements they've had to do under warranty without even blinking an eye.
Old 12 October 2001, 06:36 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Well a little bit more news. Car went into the garage on Wednesday, sensor 2 indicated a blocked cat. Subaru downpipe on back order. Thanks Bob Illes kindly, for offering the loan of the full Scoobysport system off the P1 Thank god for Scoobynet.

Fitted it didn't make any difference. Car worse than ever. Lamba sensor broken when removed (threaded) so had a new one of those.

Car was road tested by top mechanic and he reported that it's also running like a bag of crap. I'm so glad they believe me now!!!!

They tried a restrictor to stop over-boost (hmmm)!!! never over boosted before. Tried a different ECU (remapped). I asked if the boost pipes had oil in and they are clean.

So what's up with the bloody thing?? They are on about fitting a standard exhaust system on the car again.....hey what's that all about. I know someone from IM is coming to have a look on Tuesday. Not sure if this was a result of me phoning them up kicking off about my clutch / other problems yesterday... or coincidence. They had the laptop attached to it and have been driving it around. Not sure what results they got. Just missing my little baby

I'm really starting to get pissed off, to be fair the dealers have been great about it. But I am going to start getting upset soon.

Had a Justy day one, kicked off and got a Forester. They don't want 1000 mile put on the clock so want to hire me a car. I now have to drive to Edinburgh on Sunday in a "Rover hire car".....

Any help is greatly appreciated, and anyone that says people talk crap on here are talking crap

Need some inspiration for tomorrow mornings session on it!!!!

Cheers Phill
Old 12 October 2001, 07:47 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

ttt
Old 12 October 2001, 07:50 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I can empathise with you Phil. That guy coming down Tuesday is checking an Isuzu warranty claim but is also having a look at my gearbox which is on the bench! looks like a new one is required. Meanwhile I have a 2.0 GL AUTO Impreza to poodle around in but at least it aint a Justy. They are doing their best but your engine is obviously testing the rulebook. Hope you get her back soon. Are you going to keep Bob's SS system?

Jerome
Old 13 October 2001, 10:07 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

JFB,

Coming to look at an Isuzu warranty claim, what's that all about!!! I thought a guy was coming from IM.... Shame I can't be there to give him a ear bashing.

They changed the justy for a Forester, but want that back and have hired a Rover 25 for me (as I got to do more than 1000 mile next week) Got to pick it up in a bit A ROVER, hello

I have a mate that works for SWRT, he said I should have taken it around to his place....Maybe I should take him down there on Tuesday for a bun fight with IM

I'm really pissed off!!!

So has anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 13 October 2001, 10:22 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

Buy an import

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have had similar trouble with mine, seems to be smoothing out now though....

good luck

Michelle.
Old 13 October 2001, 10:28 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to the garage, they're saying the boost is going up and down now, four times across the rev range. So boosts at 1.1 bar then drops back, boosts again then drops back. What is that all about ?

They changed the MAF, I suggested a sticking waste gate or BOV. OMG I'll have a new engine soon.

Cheers Phill C
Old 13 October 2001, 11:29 AM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Grrrr

Had I known you where coming to Edinburgh I would have offered you more for that back box...

Anyhow thats my fault for not telling you I was in Edinburgh isn't it

Anyhow my car (My99 PPP) like Johns is running fine so there is hope for you.

It is just me that is broken 'cos I am just out of hospital where they operated on my right foot and whilst I am quite happy about left foot braking not sure how I am going to accelerate....

Anyhow good luck with the car....
Old 13 October 2001, 01:32 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

There is a known cure for the hesitation problems and Tiley's know it. Most of the lads that have had problems with hesitation are sold a P1.
They never and could not sort my hesitation and the same goes for Neil. They do have a memo they can show you though.
Old 13 October 2001, 02:35 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just been down there and driven it, slower than ever I'm not happy about this!!!

Took the bloody Rover to our Bristol office and picked up a Mondeo. Well at least it has air con. and a CD player.

Dave has said it baffling them They tried more restrictors. They've taken the inners out of the center Cat (????) they removed Bobs downpipe and fitted the standard one.

They aren't going to do anymore work on it, until this guy comes down from IM. Bloody great

As a end user I don't need to know that they don't get paid for diagnostic work. I don't need to know that IM only pay £30, and not the £60 they normally charge for the actual work... I'm really not interested!!!!

Car has been in garage for 4 days, have bought a new downpipe (£250) and I'm no further forward.............

Any advise ? Could it be the waste gate sticking or stretched spring. They don't want to try this as it all one part and includes the Turbo.??? Is that true ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 13 October 2001, 05:23 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by WillieF:
<B>It is just me that is broken 'cos I am just out of hospital where they operated on my right foot and whilst I am quite happy about left foot braking not sure how I am going to accelerate....

Anyhow good luck with the car....[/quote]

Willie what has happened?????
Old 13 October 2001, 08:15 PM
Neil Barnes
Scooby Regular

Babber
The little Pr*** will come down from I.M. and say it turbo lag. He will then show you a letter which will tell you this. It is a load of Bull S***t they just will not spend the money to fix your car. If they say the P1 clutch will stop the judder it is also crap mine has clutch judder, but that's another story, but no hesitation, touch wood.
We will see what happens with the clutch a week monday when i take it into Tileys for a service
Neil
Old 18 October 2001, 10:07 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

All,

Well they reckon they have fixed the poor overall performance, by fitting a restrictor Only took them a week to do it. Was the man from IM that did it

I'm really not convinced it is fixed, but dealer said it flying again I haven't had chance to drive it, as they are doing the clutch and fitting a new downpipe (that my fleet manager has authurised (bless him)) today. Will pick her up later. Can't wait any longer...

On a positive note two of my mates work for SWRT, and arrived home from the rally yesterday!!! They said if the dealers and IM can't fix it then they will

I'll let you all know later if it's any better.

Cheers Phill C
Old 18 October 2001, 10:38 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

my MY00 also does not hold boost as smooth as it should.usual is to peak at 15psi,drop to 12/13 @ about 4500 revs,then boost up to 14/15 then holds 13 for a while before tailing off.does this sound familiar?,had looked into EBC to smooth this out but am considering going the Link route.

I have driven most MY turbos and consider the MY00 to under perform.I did not want to mod this car but have with a full decat and K&N panel filter.I do track days and so does a friend who has had loads of standard scoobs.when my car was standard his standard MY99 would eat my car,decatted and K&N and I could out drag him ,he currently has a MY98 and has also just bought a MY00,the standard 98 has identical performance to my modded 00 and he is also dissapointed with his new car and is considering the decat change.

john
Old 18 October 2001, 12:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

T-UK, I think some MY00 are better than others My MY00 did not disappoint me when I later tried an earlier car, but the feel the power delivery was different on the earlier car - less low down and then bang, whereas the Phase II engine has a slightly different feel, but certainly no slower if you get a good example. But I think I have been lucky with a problem free and hesitation free engine (apart from the stuff when cold which I think everyone gets and is mild).

Your story of the boost sounds extremely familiar. I don't know where the boost map runs out on the std ECU, but with PPP exactly the same happens if you hit 19PSI - it drops to 14 and then oscillates up and down. There is a sweet spot where the peak is just below the end of the map - say 18PSI peak and then it holds something like 17PSI depending on how you measure it. The car is quicker overall like this and smooth with no hesitation, quicker than when the boost goes too high and the ECU then corrects it. The extreme version is 21 PSI peak swinging back and forth to 12 PSI which happens if your wastegate restrictor really is too small - ie in my car the original 1.2mm restrictor with PPP and a DP. If you were willing to try a larger wastegate restrictor (only very slight like 0.05mm bigger) you may find you would boost to almost the same peak, hold it for two seconds and by the time it is falling you are getting almost ready to change gear anyway - except in 4th and 5th gear. Certainly on my car, sometimes it will hold the peak boost all the way up to 5000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gears - ie. 18PSI. That feels very good.

[Edited by john banks - 10/18/2001 1:03:11 PM]
Old 18 October 2001, 09:02 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

John,

Just got the car back from the dealers and the hesitation is gone !!!! Trouble is the car is still flat, with no real power. Nothing like your cars pulling power.... Sideways would wipe the floor with me (MY97 ITG and Scooby BB 108k), no doubt. We're going to a private road tomorrow to see if he can out drag me Remember when Sideways first got the Wagon they were identically matched in speed!!!!

The Scoobysport Downpipe is fantastic and increases the grin factor, by at least 100 percent. Can hear the turbo spooling up, etc, but have lost the dump valve sound Tried it out on the motorway upto 95 MPH, and I can live with the noise. Not to bad at all!! Turn the stereo on and the bass just drowns it out!!!

Could it be the Knock sensor ?

Noticed the boost fluctuating tonight (1.3 bar to 0.9 bar) on the way home. I have never seen this before, but dealers said they did last week

I don't know where to go from here, surely someone must know what is wrong ?

Dealers have done the best they can IMHO, and have gone out there way to fix the problems. Unfortunately I still have the problem IMHO.

Cheers Phill C
Old 18 October 2001, 10:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Angry

Get your rally tech contacts to look at it. All the dealer have done is managed to mess up your boost control which I gather was the only bit that was right before it went it And for them to claim they had it at 2 bar is IMHO despicable, even if it is just some kind of stupid boast.
Old 08 November 2001, 07:38 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well thought you may be interest, car is not much better Just feels like it lacking in power

I have email Pete Croney and he will kindly have a look at it for me.

Has anyone got any advise to move this forward ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 18 November 2001, 08:23 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

All,

An update!!! Car still running like a bag of crap, but am much closer to getting it resolved.

It’s been getting worse on petrol (if that's possible) over the last few weeks. Went to power engineering yesterday, and it was crap (the car I mean) See below: -

Had a chat with Mervyn and he said an airflow converter might work, and it was seriously over-fuelling. I think it was something like 18 % CO?? He was confident, he could fix it

Dave (big bear) over heard and said “I’ve got a spare one of those” Had a chat and he let me have it FOC. Thanks Dave, I owe you a few pints mate. Looked on the Internet today, and found the manuals (thanks cryptwalk) and wiring diagrams. It is the older type.

Downloaded and printed them off.

Went and saw my mate Steve, who is a top mechanic, and he stealthily installed the unit. Bet IM or the dealers couldn’t find the wires, as I have to be careful for the warranty. I fitted a variable screw top restrictor valve to stop the overboosting. Kept the other restrictor in place, just to make sure

Started first time. So I’m off to Power Engineering next week to have it set up. I should play with it, should I? I was thinking that small adjustment would be ok?

I really hope this will fix it.

Cheers Phill C