ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2001, 08:02 PM
mashead
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to start tarting up my Subaru, a standard 98 model (apart from a prodrive back-box). All I'm after is some ideas on what I can do to up its performance without going into rocket science! Any constructive suggestions welcomed...come on now folks, lets start rolling in those responses!..i.e. not 769 views 1 response.
Old 18 November 2001, 08:18 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Decat the exhaust. I got a Scoobysport downpipe secondhand (£100) off the Private Sales page as well as a Magnex catless centre (£50). Makes a very noticeable difference.

You could also consider some induction mods. I fitted an ITG filter although frankly that's not done much (although it's filtration properties are better/last longer than a paper one).

Handling wise you just have to have the bumpsteer mod (£117) done (by Powerstation in Cheltenham); it makes a very noticeable improvement to the handling.
Waiting to go on my car is set of secondhand (unused) Eibach springs (£100) - apparently these are the business although I'm not sure about them on an MY98 - I've got a feeling they don't match up with the 98 shocks very well.

In fact, I think most of my mods etc are secondhand bits bought off the Private board on Scoobynet.
I'm such a pikey............
Old 18 November 2001, 08:26 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

All depends on what your budget is ...
I would new wheels and decent tyres, then get a big brake conversion and finally sort the suspension. This will allow you to use the cars current potential.
After that, make sure everything is servicable, such as clutch, coil packs, etc ... you dont want unexpected bills when tuning.
Now go for more power, if budget allows, get a new ECU straight away, along with this get a full exhaust system, induction kit, replacement dump valve, silicone hoses, etc
If you are on a tighter budget you could look at Nitrous, boost controllers, fuel computers ...
Hope this helps.

Nigel
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=53737