Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2002, 05:05 PM
scrap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

posted on the MLR

NOS update on my VII
As some of you may remember I had a NOS kit from the Wizard of NOS fitted to my VII about 3 months ago. There has been a major problem over the past couple of weeks but I didn't want to post until I was fairly sure of the cause. Here are the facts so far:

A couple of weeks ago when the car was in for some routine work with BARNY (Nick) he expressed concern over the amount of blue smoke being produced.

Nick checked the plugs and did a leakdown test. This was 2% 7% 56% and 2% - so as you can imagine there was a problem.

Nick suggested I shouldn't move the car and gave me a lift home (about a 100 mile return trip on a Friday night ! )

Two pistons were found to be cracked, one badly, one not too badly. The bores are OK and hopefully the rebuild will be complete mid next week. (engine 6000 miles)

Various opinions were sought from both the NOS supplier and installer as well as independant techical opinions from people familiar with NOS & EVO's but no vested interest in my car.

The cause appears to be that I was running NOS all the way to the limiter and for periods of time. The limiter on the GTA cuts back and this left extra NOS in the cut back cylinders.... and when I kicked in again at full throttle ---- BANG

Now my my grievance is that apparently the Wizard of NOS was aware of NOS problems running to a vehicles limiter, especially those cars fitted with a hard limiter like the GTA. Unfortunately this was not passed on.

As you don't normally buy an EVO to 'pop to the shops' then I would have expected to have been told something about driving it too hard.

If you visit the NOS Wizard's site at http://www.noswizard.com you will see:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nitrous Systems have been working with and manufacturing
Nitrous Oxide Systems and other related products for over 20 years.
It is because of our expertise and vast experience that we can say with confidence:

Highpower Nitrous Oxide Systems will
**NOT** damage your engine!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't really want to comment any further at the moment, but like I said when I first had it installed, I am happy to let you know the bad as well as the good. Well here is the first lot of bad.

I will post more as this progresses. The installer has responded positively (so far) to my suggestion for a refund. The Wizard hasn't answered the email yet so I can't comment on his response.

BTW Feel free to pass this on to Scoobynet

Teri
(MLR Member)
Old 23 November 2002, 05:46 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running a Wizards of NOS kit on my 2l astra gte since 2000. The only time anything was ever damamged was when one of my mates hit the rev limiter with the gas on. Engine was undamaged but it blew the exhaust manifold clen in half and the flame out the back was as big as the car.
However, as I got a big list of dos and donts which included "do NOT rev the engine to the rev limiter with the system running" then I got what I deserved.
Remember, Nitrous is not a toy and needs to be treated with respect. I've heard enough horror stories including melted pistons FROZEN pistons and even holes being blown out of the block to realise this.
astraboy.