Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Device - advice please???

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2001, 04:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had an insurance quote for a MY01 WRX and they insist on a tracking device to be fitted before they will cover it for theft.

Does anyone recommend one that is cheap to install and subscribe to?

Also, are there any GOOD insurance companies which don't insist on one being fitted, just to keep the costs down! If so, telephone numbers would be appreciated please.
Old 23 September 2001, 04:39 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi Clare,

When I checked insurance companies I found they all wanted the scoobs with one, then maybe I havent looked hard enough..good luck on that one! I am sure someone can come up with 1 or 2...

If you find that you have no option ask your insurance company if they would suggest one and if they have the contact number and a special rate. I got this from my insurance company.

Later

Moe
Old 23 September 2001, 04:41 PM
MyDreamCar
Scooby Regular

Could try navtrack - not that cheap - something like £400 fitted and £15 a month for the pro-active system - but when i accidently activated it the other day and they rand me, they could trace me to with in a few metres of where i was - which i thought was pretty impressive!!

Phil
ps - Tesco really competitive for insurance - tbut they do want a tracker
Old 23 September 2001, 04:47 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Try Keith Michael Insurance, they may be able to insure it without a tracker device as long as it has a thatcham one alarm!
Tel. 0208 642 7868

I'd personally get one fitted, Imprezas seem to be a favourite at the moment with the thieves!
Old 23 September 2001, 04:49 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Clare, I have had Tracker fitted to my last four cars and apart from cheaper insurance it helps you sleep better at night. It is worth every penny you spend on it. Here in Leeds the other day a woman had her M5 stolen at knife point. Police chopper followed the Tracker and it was recovered half an hour later.

Compared to the cost of the car its not really that expensive. I'd have one fitted even if the insurance company didn't demand it. Police in Leeds have warned Scooby drivers that their cars are top of the thieves target list and I prefer the peace of mind.

Ken
Old 23 September 2001, 04:52 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

I'm with Direct Line, they didn't want one, I aske dif having one fitted would reduce the premioum, they said no!

Darren.
Old 23 September 2001, 06:17 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I went for an RAC Trackstar with 24hr guardian, cost £699 fitted and £120 per year. Reading about other systems this seems a little more expensive but at the end of the day a few hundred quid extra isn't much on a £20K car. Didn't get any reduction in insurance at all but the extra piece of mind from extra immobiliser and tracking is worth the money by it's self. Previous Scooby hijacked and i'd definately want some small possibilty of these tramps being apprehended if the worst happened again.
Enjoy the car and don't dwell too much on stories of hijacks/theft as any car worth owning seems to be equally at risk(small %).

Old 23 September 2001, 06:31 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dteagles:
<B>I'm with Direct Line, they didn't want one, I aske dif having one fitted would reduce the premioum, they said no!

Darren.[/quote]

Same kind of story with CIS when I asked - not required as long as manufacturer's alarm is fitted. They said that it saves arguing when a claim is made as first question is usually "Was it turned on?"
Old 23 September 2001, 06:38 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I tried Direct Line and Tesco and both of them wanted a tracker. So, looks like I need one. Any other recommendations for me to investigate????

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 23 September 2001, 06:43 PM
Chubbs
Scooby Regular

HI clare, got our MY01 insured with norwich union , £689 protected no claims £100 excess,
no tracker but cat 1 and barrier deadlock.

hope that helps
Steve
Old 23 September 2001, 08:08 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Clare
Insured with Barclays - no tracker needed but needed Thatcham 1 alarm (I have a Clifford Concept 600).
Andy.
Old 23 September 2001, 08:17 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Clare - just had a Navtrak Proactive fitted to mine, £500 (although originally quoted £600) + £15 a month, there is a very well known person on this board who fits trackers.

PTMW (Puff The Magic Wagon)only I found this out too late & had already booked mine in with someone else. I'm sure someone can give you his number if required, from what I can gather he is the man to speak to on this subject.

shunty