Sponsored by:

I've lost my Va Va Voom

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2001, 03:38 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My new shape Renault Clio 172 finally turned up last week. I was really impressed with it & looking forward to getting it run-in to see what it could do. & maybe go scooby baiting on NM6 & at the RallyX. My fun is over, as of this morning...
On the way home from work last night, I noticed a sqeaking sound whilst the engine was idling at traffic lights. I thought nothing of it at first, just a squeak from a brand new, tight engine I thought.
On the way to work this morning I called in at the local dealer (Renault Solihull) to get it checked out. A mechanic came straight out & had a look... He thought that it could be the cam belt rubbing on the engine & he advised me to stop driving the car & book it in for repair.
I was then stranded at the dealership with no way of getting home or to work. Do you think Renault Solihull were interested?! They booked my car in for the next available slot (1 week from now) & told me no courtesy cars were available. They suggested I leave my car in their over-crowded car park to get covered in dents & get a taxi home!
The repair work will probably take a week, so I will be without any form of transport for at least 2 weeks. The car is only 6 days old and if something goes wrong with it, I expect to be treated a little better than this by Renault. I just dread to think what they'll do to the car when it goes in for repair.
I am in the process of complaining to Renault UK & by the looks of it, I may have got hold of a courtesy car from them for the time my car is actually being repaired.
Take my advice, steer well clear of Renault Solihull - a bunch of muppets!

Serves me right for not buying a scooby I suppose
bloody unreliable french crap!

Cheers,

Jon

Looks like I've lost my Va Va Voom!

[This message has been edited by 172jon (edited 18 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 03:49 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Fight on, that's well shabby treatment considering a) the car is brand f*cking new and b) it's a top-of-range car.

Take it to Renault UK, you should get some kind of compo for your trouble, there's no way a brand new car should leave you stranded.

Good luck
Old 18 September 2001, 03:50 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

That pretty much sums up my treatment from Reevethorpe in Kingston too!

Bought a secondhand car from them and next day noticed a big pool of oil under it. Took it back and was told they couldn't fix it until next week and that there was no courtesy car was available.

After a week of nothing happening (Continually phoned them but the salesman who sold me the car was always strangely busy..) I lost my temper with them and told them how p!ssed off I was that I had just bought a new car and had to get lifts to work when they strangely had a courtesy car available for me!! Looking back I really wish I had taken it to a carpark and just thrashed it to an inch of its life...

Anyway two weeks later I got my car back. About a year later the flange gasket was blowing and I discovered they had managed to strip a thread on one of the exhaust bolts so packed it out with washers and covered the gasket with that white crap.

I had to laugh when they sent me a load of stuff about buying a new car from them about a year ago....
Old 18 September 2001, 03:57 PM
NeVeTaS2001
Scooby Regular

Red face

I hate it when a new car buggers up.

My company car Golf TDi blew up after 3 weeks!!

2 months after getting sorted the electrics caught fire!!!

Cheers

Steve
Old 18 September 2001, 03:58 PM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

IMHO, the big manufacturers have bigger dealers who sell more cars and the buyers of those cars are one amongst many. Smaller manufacturers, like Subaru, Mitsubishi etc, have smaller dealers who value their customers far more and treat them accordingly. Its only my opinion, based upon having had a Renault, and working for a Ford dealer for 2years.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:01 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bigrex:
<B>Smaller manufacturers, like Subaru, Mitsubishi etc, have smaller dealers who value their customers far more and treat them accordingly. [/quote]

(Sigh)

Don't bet on it

Old 18 September 2001, 04:02 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Jon,
Bad luck mate, :eek
it`s just rubbing salt into the wound isn`t it . . . . coz they kept you waiting long enough for it in the first place didn`t they.

Should have bought a Scooby in the first place . . .

Chris a.k.a SCOOP
Old 18 September 2001, 04:21 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I ordered a brand new Clio Williams when they first came out and when I arrived at the dealer to pick the car up a salesmen hit my new car and crumpled the door and I hadnt even been handed over they keys yet. Then when I picked it up from the bodyshop a couple of days later the same thing happened on the opposite side door. Moral of the story dont by a renault.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bought the wife a new Clio 1.2 16v and previously a Clio 1.2 Grande (1998), both from Bridges in Cirencester.

Both been great cars, dealership excellent, luck of the draw I guess.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:52 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Surely if the car goes wrong so soon after buying it new, you should be entitled to take it straight back and either get a replacement straight away or get your money back.
If it's f*cked when it rolls off the forcourt, then what chance do you have for the future?

Speak to the citizens advice bureau dude!
Old 18 September 2001, 05:17 PM
john&nicci
Scooby Regular

Sorry for you m8,
Just an idea:-Contact "Honest John" at the Daily Telegraph(Sat edition Motoring Section)
He kicks @rse and seems to get results.
john.
Old 18 September 2001, 05:45 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

The problem is when you have waited nearly a year for the car you dont want to have to wait for again another one

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 18 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 08:54 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JoeyDeacon:
<B>That pretty much sums up my treatment from Reevethorpe in Kingston too!

Looking back I really wish I had taken it to a carpark and just thrashed it to an inch of its life...

[/quote]

yeah but then this car would need more attention and whilst being fixed less courtesy cars. Maybe if people treated courtesy cars with a bit of respect (hard I know) they would last longer and be more readily available.
Old 19 September 2001, 02:05 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep, that'll be a Renault then.

Had a 19 16v from brand new, front offside bearing went after 16 months and less than 20k miles (of "generous" 12 months warranty).

Could not believe their attitude, dealer and central HQ. Like it was my fault!! I wouldn't entertain them again.
Old 19 September 2001, 02:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Jon - As the car is less than 28 days old you are entitled to a full refund. Push them hard on this. You should be able to get it repaired super quick and if you ask you could get some compo - free stuff, free servicing. I did this with a Pug 106 a couple of years ago. Wouldn't start when it was 3 weeks old. Dealer came out, took it back to dealership and called me to tell me it would probably be 2 weeks before they could look at it. 10 minute conversation with dealer followed by 5 minute conversation with Pug UK resulted in the car being taken to a dealer 60 miles away for immediate repair and free servicing for three years for my trouble.
Old 19 September 2001, 02:45 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MattN:
<B> yeah but then this car would need more attention and whilst being fixed less courtesy cars. Maybe if people treated courtesy cars with a bit of respect (hard I know) they would last longer and be more readily available. [/quote]

Mattn,

I do treat courtesy cars with respect but after the way they p!ssed me off I think they more than deserved it. Looking back I seem to remember that due to lack of courtesy cars I ended up getting the salesman who sold me the car company car (A clio) so I really should of thrashed the nuts off it of just put a pot of grinding paste in the oil filler.

They deserved it.

Old 19 September 2001, 02:47 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Jon

I got a brand new 172 and had exactly the same problem within a week - i thought it was a fanbelt. Took it to Renault and they booked it in, earliest available was 6 days time.

I left the car with them and got a hire car (it is a company car) for over a week while they sorted it.

I was told that it was the timing belt fitted incorrectly so that it was rubbing on the inside of the engine. I was told that this was a one off and just one of those things that happened on the production line. Yeah right !!!

They sorted mine out and now it has 4800 miles on without a problem, but i was well pi$$ed off that a car less than a week old had to go back for over a week.

I also spoke to Renault Uk about this and the leasing company put in a formal complaint.

If you would like to use me as another example of the problem with your dealer then thats fine, mail me offline and i can give you the reg of car and the dealer name that did the work.

Also check on
Old 19 September 2001, 09:20 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by druddle:
<B>Also check on
Old 19 September 2001, 09:39 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

sorry to hear this Jon, i work for a MG/Rover dealer and if a customer ever has a problem when their car is still so new we lend out one of the sales demos if there is no courtesy car available, as these are usually booked out for the week ahead.
If you have no joy when speaking to the sales manager the best option is to ring the finance company (if your car is on finance) and tell them you will stop the direct debit as you dont want to pay for something you cant drive, as the car is legally theirs untill the final payment they will get in touch with the dealer on your behalf and can refuse to pay the dealer commision (they usually pay them after your third payment)
rob
Old 20 September 2001, 09:02 AM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cheers for the advice guys!
The problem I have is that my car is a euro import. The dealers & Renault UK are saying "why should we give you the same service as our customers? We haven't made any money out of you."
It's a difficult situation to be in, I can tell you.
I managed to get a courtesy car out of Renault UK for the time the car is actually in being repaired, but I had to kick up a right fuss to get this. The car doesn't go in until next Tuesday, so I am still without any transport for a few days.
Druddle, it was your posts on cliosport.net that made me suspicious about the squeak in the first place, if I hadn't read that, I probably would have carried on driving the car until the belt snapped! How long did it take them to fix you car? Glad to hear it has been OK since. How does your 172 perform in relation to a Scoobs?
Joey, I think the courtesy car I'm given may get a fair bit of abuse. Don't know about the grinding paste, but there wont be much tread left on the tyres/life in the clutch etc, etc!!!
Scoop, your right mate, a Scooby for me next I think. I suppose the Clio is more fun than your hairdresser's motor though! Where have you been anyway, haven't seen you for ages - are you coming to the meet in Meriden on Sunday night?
I'll let you know how I get on when the car goes in, but hopefully I'll get my Va Va Voom back in time for NM6!

Cheers

Jon
Old 20 September 2001, 10:04 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Jon

Renault had my car for 8 days from when it went it, getting the parts (took 4 days !) and fixing it.

Car obviously not as quick as scoob, but loads of fun. Steering is more direct than scoob and the brakes are as good i would say. I am going to Bracknell meet tonite, which will involve a thrash for a few miles to get there with a load of scoobs, so will let you know how i get on !! FYI i had a my01 for 3 months - had to go cos it was a co. car and i changed jobs.

Dave

Old 20 September 2001, 01:52 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Awww Jon,
That was a bit below the belt m8 . . .

If yr not careful I`ll hit yer with me hairbrush next time I see u

SCOOP
Old 20 September 2001, 04:02 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoop,
This must be the secret to your success with the women...
...Are you offering them a free cut & blow dry with every ride! (in the car of course)
Hair by Scoop has a certain ring to it. BTW how much do you charge? I could do with a quick trim!
Hope to see you on Sunday.

Jon

sadly lacking any Va Va Voom
Old 20 September 2001, 09:34 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I'm pleased to report that the same is not true with Subaru.

When I collected my new car, after the 1st week there were a few niggles, nothing serious: stone chip in the fog light, catching door seal, loose mudflap.

I spoke to the salesman from whome I bought the car, booked it in for a Saturday, and they did it all while I waited, drinking coffee and reading Autocar.

Its in their best interests really, because while I was there I eyed up the merchandise, particularly their remote controlled cars!, Priced an imobilizer, and almost ordered some plastic light protectors.

All done in about 2 hours, car washed & hoovered, ready to go!

Thanks to Listers of Worcester. Gret service, and friendly too.

[This message has been edited by nuclear_pond (edited 20 September 2001).]
Old 20 September 2001, 10:04 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK (the importers, whatever they are called) - FFing amazing, really really care about their customers. And they will kick **** to the dealers if you ask them too.

Subaru dealers - hmm, not so good In my experience, treated me like scum.

I think you've been treated very badly, phone Renault UK and tell them one of their dealers is playing up - if they give you no joy ...... next car's gotta be a Subaru.

Gary
Old 21 September 2001, 05:36 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

John are are you saying that you want a ride with scoop?
Old 21 September 2001, 05:44 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Red face

Matt - I just wanted a haircut. I'm sure Scoop would give you a short back & sides too, or if you ask really nicely you might get a ride (in the Golf)