Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 days to go .. so tell me your story ..

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2001, 09:40 AM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up the car (Jap Spec WRX) and had to put in some juice as it was virtually empty. Put in my £20 and set off with my mate in his Fiat Coupe Turbo , grin inducing speeds were applied I went straight to Elite for some new alloys and even though it was only 40/50 miles away the tank was almost empty again!!!! Best £20 I had ever spent though!!!
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Doofus:
<B>Woo-hoo .. after about 2 years of lurking and only about 40 posts I've got my hands on a Scooby-doo.

I have the best missus in the world, who after many, many hints suggested if I wasn't happy with my 1999 Audi A4 Quattro Sport (only had it 1 year) that I 'Go and get a bloody Subaru '

With a wee one on the way I have opted for a MY00 DBM Turbo wagon, it's bog standard (if you can call it that) and v. clean.

So on Friday I will no longer be relaxing with cruise control on, climate control set at 21, comfortable in the electric recaros listening to my 6-CD, 210 watt Bose sound system

I will however be sitting with the most evil grin on my face !!! Hoorah

So with 3 days to go .. tell me about your first drive home in your Scooby ...[/quote]

I just sat looking out of my window at work looking at the bug-eyed beast!! Cool to drive on the first day. Got sideways with 3 passengers on my first run - skidded on muddy road!!!!! Slowed down after that.

Your gonna love it!!!

Jza
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Erm 1st time in my 1st Scoob which was an early WRX was "Fantastic" and the maddest thing I did was fill a Jap import up with NUL even though I knew It should have been SUL. (Too excited )

1st thing you notice and love forever is the rally car sound from the engine as it sounds raw and alive!

Best of luck with the new motor!

Harj...
Old 18 September 2001, 09:47 AM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Cool

It wasn't back home!

Transferred all our snowboarding gear in and headed straight up to Scotland for a week.

Tested out the handling on snow and sampled some fantastic roads...excellent!!

Enjoy!!!
Old 18 September 2001, 09:52 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

My mate took me to collect mine some while ago now,and I didnt go home for a day solid...neither did he! We went straight to france, found some open road and ripped it up.

The best car owning time of my life-And I got to meet the best of the best through scoobynet. One of which is taking me to United tonight. Proper good people.

Ron
Old 18 September 2001, 09:58 AM
gadge
Scooby Regular

the best 4.5 hour drive home i ever had (bought my car in England just so the drive home up the A68 was possible)enjoy!
Old 18 September 2001, 10:09 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Reminds me, 3 days after buying my red WRX the car It was going up Santa Pod on the 1/4 mile

After that I had a long play in a nice muddly feel to see what 4WD was all about.
Old 18 September 2001, 10:23 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

My mate took me up to Leicester to pick mine up a week last Thursday.

Used the motorway to get there, then on the return(after filling up)we went the back roads way. He lead cause I didn't know where we were going and although we weren't going mad, the roads were nice and quiet and it gave me a chance to get to grips with the quickshift box.

We pulled in at a pub close to home and the first thing I said to him was "thanks for not going to fast cause I want to take it easy and get used to it". His reply was..."not going to fast!!!! I was on the ragid edge!!!!" :-)

Since then I've had to put new tyres on it (they were the wrong size) and the handling seems to have gone a bit "wallowy".
Oh and it doesn't seem as quick either, but I think that's just down to the fact that you get used to it as the same thing happened when I got a motorbike.

Matt
Old 18 September 2001, 10:25 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had my MY93 WRX sideways in the dry on a large roundabout within 5 minutes of picking it up. This despite the garage telling me to take it easy for a while. Drove a bit more carefully after that to say the least. Several hours (and £20 pounds notes) later I had the biggest grin ever. I thought I was going to need surgery to remove it.
Old 18 September 2001, 02:19 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

It was raining and starting to go dark. November 1999 when I collected my first turbo MY00 in DBM.

Stuck in traffic.

When I got out of the traffic, even keeping to 4000 rpm it was a buzz. I had traded in my Impreza Sport for this and it was the best thing I'd done (car wise anyway).

The first time I exceeded 4000 rpm, albeit momentarily, waaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

I rest my case. Now trundling about in MY01 Wagon. Another experience again.
Old 18 September 2001, 06:22 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Doofus, I did something similar to you - DBM MY99 Wagon bought just over a year ago at 9 months old. Bought it from Bell & Colvill in Surrey (near where I lived then) and went straight to see a mate in Worcestershire.

Went via Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, mostly along B roads, and especially taking in all my favourite roads in the Cotswolds. Took about 5 hours to go (as the crow flies) 120-odd miles. Fantastic fun, and sadly I don't think I've had the chance to do such a journey since.
Old 18 September 2001, 07:40 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

First day I picked up my 1st imp turbo(got an RB5 now) ,managed to drink about £100 worth of go-juice. I drove here/there/everywhere. clocked up about 500 miles very quickly indeed.
Old 18 September 2001, 09:12 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Handed the keys to my Golf gti Turbo to the Scooby dealer for the test drive in whats now my car

First time I'ld ever driven one, deep rumble from Scoobysport zorts, the wife got in the passenger side I drove off to find a quite road, then foot down, JEEPERS biggest grin ever , the missus looked terrified and said " I DONT LIKE IT.. " With that I totally ignored her went back to the dealer and shook hands on it

The 1st night I had it, used about £20 of juice doing just over 50 miles..Worth ever penny.

The wife is now loves it, I even let her drive it sometimes
Old 18 September 2001, 11:43 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Three and a bit years ago, I took an Impreza Turbo out for a test run. Bloody hell, that car (not the car I bought) is ingrained on my memory - no-one forgets their first drive in an Impreza Turbo.

3 years, 3 weeks and 2 days on with the same car, I'm about to re-finance it - this car is here to stay.

Old 18 September 2001, 11:53 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

First time I took mine for a test drive - started off thinking whats all the excitement about, put it into 3rd and just about **** myself when I put the foot down.
Suffice to say went straight back to the garage & bought it.
Alasdair
Old 19 September 2001, 12:56 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh nooo, Rebecca, don't encourage them.

"money making ideas to keep a smile on my face"

What are you thinking of.
Old 19 September 2001, 05:55 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Miles is spot on, you never forget the first time you drive a turbo.

My first drive in a Turbo was in a sonic blue turbo (97 I think) offered for sale in a garage out Chorley way.

I remember driving it through the town until we got to a good stretch of open but quite twisty country road. I increased the speed up to 60ish and was impressed after about 4 miles cam to a small roundabout, where the salesman said I could turn around to head back. Leaving the roundabout I booted it in 2nd, through 3rd into 4th.....WOW (I'm smiling just thinking about it now ) I remember the noise of the turbo mixed with the boxer engine note and the feel of being pushed back into the cool bucket seats.

Didn't buy that one in the end (wanted too much money for the age...but it was mint), but knew I had to get one ASAP after that...lost interest in looking at any other car

H

[This message has been edited by Houlbt (edited 19 September 2001).]
Old 19 September 2001, 08:05 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Cool

Being in London meant I had to wait a couple of weeks before I could truly get the best out of the car by taking it home to Suffolk ... at least in the meantime every time I started up the car, it had my M3 owning neighbour looking out the window . But oh boy, was it worth the wait Two things struck me ... the sudden acceleration that shoved you in to the back of your seat ... and the phenomenal grip ... you can always tell a Scoob driver ... they're the ones with the grin permanently on their faces

Last week I had a 307 hire car ... most of the time it wasn't hard to forget not to drive it like a Scoob ... apart from one occasion when approaching a roundabout ... just at the last minute I rememembered that I wasn't driving my Scoob ... the disappointment of having to pull back and drive "carefully" reminded me ... I must not take my Scoob for granted .... and when I bought the car I originally thought I would only keep it for a year because I wasn't sure that I could afford it ... well that year is almost up ... and running a Scoob is definitely not for the faint hearted ... anyone got any money-making ideas to help me keep that smile on my face?

so, Doofus ... enjoy every minute ....

[This message has been edited by Rebecca (edited 19 September 2001).]